Question for Coppers/and or computer geeks.....

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Flagrantviolator, Sep 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If a person who was under Bail conditions NOT to contact their ex-spouse, but drunkenly responded to harrasing correspondance from said ex, using a ghost e-mail account, would the IP addy be included in said email? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    FV

2. Depends on the email service provider. Some of them put your IP address on all the emails you send. Some that don't will keep details of your IP address on their server.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

In a word, Yes.

4. ISP is required by law to store and if required make available to appropriate agencies, the IP address of the originator.

5. Where would I look on the "sent" email to see if it were there? Content of message was "please leave me be" rather than "I'll ******* kill you" so I don't think advanced investigation will be happening.Ghost account is 1 character different than her ghost account that she sent the initial email from, so I'm hoping to pin it on her if I get breached.Won't do THAT again!

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You wont see the internet headers in a Sent Mail box, unless you Cc'd or BCC'd a copy to yourself.

7. Thanks Grem. Will try to send one to myself now with bcc.

8. Anonymous Proxy Servers.

This is a remote server that acts as an intermediary between your home network and the rest of the web. Anyone you email will only see the proxy's IP address, not your home IP address. (Web sites you visit see the same proxy address and not your real one as well.)

There are loads of free anonymous proxy servers (google is your pal)

You get what you pay for though, as xome servers limit your bandwidth (the amount of time/info you can use), some have reliability and speed problems, and some just feck off onto hyperspace without notice.

The free ones are pretty good for temporary use or for experimenting with though.

9. Content is irrelevant largely, you are breaching bail conditions if you've done this, regardless of any techno-wizardry that you think you have employed. Time to stop!

10. Thanks anyway, I got what I was looking for!

11. I served ten years in CID and from my experience, no investigating officer would go as far as requesting IP addresses for a breach of bail investigation....and certainly not when the alleged victim made contact first. Hope this helps.

12. I aggree entirely with the above, there is no way that this would go as far as I.P addresses.

Is there any way that you could reasonably be expected to know from the either the email address, or the content of the email itself, that it was from the ex partner? If the content was just abuse, and the address was something non-descript, then how were you to know who it was you were replying to.

Counter allegations can be a nightmare, and are often therefore ignored, but if it comes to it, consider making allegations of first case harrassment, or offences pertaining to malicious communication, against her.