Question for any light infantrymen

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Sapere Aude, Feb 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently receiving treatment for a post service mental health problem and I'm trying to piece together details of my service experience. I was involved with numerous operational fatalities during my service, but I am having great trouble recalling a non operational incident that I attended.

In 1990/91 I was serving with the Security Operations Training Advisory Team (SOTAT) at Sennelager in Germany. I was the Garrison Orderly Officer when a fatal incident occurred at the camp's front gate. A young Light Infantryman from the Battalion at Paderborn accidently (in this instance I prefer 'accidently' to 'negligently' as we were aware of serious weapon safety issues with the early issue of SA80) shot and killed a comrade.

Please do not mention their names in open forum, but if anyone could help me with identifying them or the actual date of the incident I would be most grateful if you would PM me. I am happy to provide you with my Service & Contact Details by way of proving that I have no malicious intent in seeking this information.

Thank you.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Try the LI websites, there are a few and also facebook pages. I assume it was the 2nd Bn then?
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There are two books by Generals on the LI which list casualties by name. One was exceedingly lucky "I dont think so!" and the other one I dont have.
  4. Quite Correct - it was Third Bn, in Allenbrooke Barracks. Became 2nd Battallion in 1993.
  5. I didn't think I could post that info :) Yes 3rd were in Allenbrooke,with an armoured outfit (?), Paderborn Garrison. The other Btns; we were in Berlin, and another went off to Washington on Ex Trumpet or something. ISTR another was tasked for Banner during 1990-1991.
  6. Thank you for your useful replies.

Panzerknacker - Your point is taken, I'm just trying to be sensitive about a truly sad and tragic incident. As a professional soldier I agree that any weapon unitentionally discharged is negligence and any soldier who is unaware of the state of his weapon or, as a last resort, it's safety catch, has behaved negligently.
  7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

PM sent, as was at STC Dental Centre at time and believe that if you were having dinner in Permanent Officer's Mess that night I should know you.

As stated, 3LI were in Allenbrooke, though they did become 2LI later. (By which stage I had been posted to Allenbrooke, join the Army see the world, or keep seeing the same little bits of it anyway!)
  8. PM replied.
  9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

You might visit the BAOR Locations website and view Alanbrooke Bks, Paderborn. Much of the 15/19th Hussars entry was written by me. Istr that 15/19H handed over to a bn of QLR (but don't quote me: I had gone). I do remember that a bn of LI was in residence when I took the family back on the grande tour in 1996. 2nd as stated strikes a chord.

Note that 15/19H were recce, not armour. Alanbrooke was an infantry barracks (known to the locals as Infanteriekaserne (Infantry Barracks): we had taken over from a bn of Queens (note the capital) and handed it back to infantry. During our time, the co-located unit was Task Force Echo HQ and Signal Troop, which became iirc 33 Armoured Brigade HQ and Signal Squadron upon the demise of the task force and return of the armoured brigade.
  10. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3rd had become 2nd by then. I particularly remember as they spelled Sergeant with a J, Serjeant, so all FMed 271s had to be altered for LI but not for attached such as RAMC, REME.