Question for any ATO's out there...

Discussion in 'RLC' started by armourer, Jul 8, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sad git that I am I collect inert grenades, I have recently aquired a Brit No 14 grenade. It should be the same size as a No 13, but the one I have is smaller. Decimals Ltd had an order for 20,000 No 14's and I believe that Roburite & Ammonal had an order for 200 No 14's.

Any of you ATO types have a No 14 made by Decimals Ltd and a No 13, if so are they the same size ?

I'm hoping the No 14 I have is one of the 200 ie rarer than horse sh*t in the grenade collecting world.

<added mine is marked up to the maker Roburite & Ammonal, but I don't know if it could be a makers "sample" which might account for the difference in size>
  2. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Yes, you are very sad. :lol:

However I will attempt to answer your question:

No 13 (light pitcher) Filled weight 1 lb 2oz

No 14 (heavy pitcher) Filled weight 1 lb 8oz

Both same size, as far as I know, but No 14 was made from cast iron instead of steel and the annular space filled with pitch as opposed to pitch or lead wool as in the No 13.

Both were filled with 4oz powdered Ammonal. 8O

How much smaller the two grenades? There are size variations in No 5, 23 and 36 depending on manufacturer, which you could class as a fairly well mass produced item. Give Darryl a shout at the Grenade Recognition manual, the link for which escapes me at the moment. PM me for more saddo grenade chat.
  3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

OMIGOD! I wondered in here by mistake, I'll be off now and sorry for ever darkening your doors.
  4. General Melchett

You know you love it really. 8O At least I asked armourer to PM rather than subject you all to it.
  5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I'm scarred for life, here I was just nosing around the RLC's part of the website (I'd lost some string and was hoping I could get some more) and now I'll know more about grenades than I ever wanted to know (e.g. they go bang once and then BANG really loudly a bit later).

So, just because I now have no hope at dinner parties, what is the difference between the German stick design and the allied pineapple design in a practical situation? And which is better?
  6. How rear are No. 69 Mk. I in the UK ?

Just wondering if its worth trying to sell any.
  7. General Melchett

I'll give you £15 each for 'em. :D
  8. Mr Happy,
    My understanding is that the German stick grenades are easier to throw a longer distance, but they're not as easy to carry for obvious reasons. The casing around the explosive is much thinner than the British grenade so gives much less fragmentation. The German grenade doesn't need to be thrown from behind cover, but the Brit grenade throws fragments a considerable distance.

Anyway, that's quite enough of that, I'm starting to bore myself...
  9. So it is true then. You can talk about all kinds of rubbish on this forum.
  10. Yeah any throwaway comments you like 8)
  11. General Melchett

So you saw Pub Ammo on TV as well eh?