Question for a resident Policeman?

Genuine question, can you check if a car is reported stolen? Theres a red UK plated Alpha Romeo that appears to have been abandoned outside my house in Holland. Two flat tyres, covered in parking tickets and not moved for a few weeks. Registration is S405 DGT.

Its not causing a problem and other than the flat tyres its in good nick. We don't get many local police around as its a very quiet area so I'm not sure they will have pinged it. Parking wardens issue the tickets here. I'm just thinking some bod is missing his car and it might be here.

Thats the badger, so it might have been nicked after all. I'm not sure I'm public spirited enough to hand over my credit card details to these people though ;)

Begs the question mate, you live in a quiet area in a foreign country, a GB registered motor is nicked and get's dumped outside your gaff. What's the chances of that?

Did you nick it after a drunken night on the town and are now trying to look innocent and cover your tracks?

Well I'd one - dont post the VRM on the internet - if it's not nicked and the owner's genuine he'll be p1ssed off. and two, phone a UK police station and tell them.

The Dutch police have an international liason dept who can get the cars history (from experience theyre actually really good!)

From the DVLA database. Not showing as exported although this site only gives details of Vel status

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for S405 DGT are:

Date of Liability 01 10 2008
Date of First Registration 06 11 1998
Year of Manufacture 1998
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1970CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour RED
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £101.75
12 Months Rate £185.00

hogspawn said:
Well I'd one - dont post the VRM on the internet - if it's not nicked and the owner's genuine he'll be p1ssed off. and two, phone a UK police station and tell them.

The Dutch police have an international liason dept who can get the cars history (from experience theyre actually really good!)
Certainly don't want to wind anybody up. Just thinking it might have been nicked and abandoned and theres some poor bod trying to get his car back.

Equally I don't want to waste the local police time if its nothing. As well as not getting some local ex-pat in the smelly stuff if he hasn't re-registered his car here ;)

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ord_Sgt said:
Equally I don't want to waste the local police time
I'm not local. I'm not police. And I got all the time in the world. How can I help?

Right, for starters nobody in their right mind would chaw an Alpha. Horrible Wop tin cans what they are. They are flash but useless for ram-raiding, outrunning Babylon or shipping out in a box to States who's names end in astanistan or atvia or omania. The Wops who made them got there ahead of us.

Second, if it gets nicked it moves off of the plot right fast. It tends not to hang around long enough for the tyres to go flat. On account of its just been nicked, you know?

I think you have just aquired a local static caravan.

Nice one. But it'll rot. They do, your stolen Alphas

TheIronDuke said:
Ord_Sgt said:
Equally I don't want to waste the local police time
I'm not local. I'm not police. And I got all the time in the world. How can I help?

Right, for starters nobody in their right mind would chaw an Alpha. Horrible Wop tin cans what they are. They are flash but useless for ram-raiding, outrunning Babylon or shipping out in a box to States who's names end in astanistan or atvia or omania. The Wops who made them got there ahead of us.

Second, if it gets nicked it moves off of the plot right fast. It tends not to hang around long enough for the tyres to go flat. On account of its just been nicked, you know?

I think you have just aquired a local static caravan.

Nice one. But it'll rot. They do, your stolen Alphas
I think you could be right, I just went out for a smoke and noticed its not got a tax disc in the window. The stereo looks good though so I might swipe that knowing no one is likely to claim it missing. :D

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ord_Sgt said:
I think you could be right, I just went out for a smoke and noticed its not got a tax disc in the window. The stereo looks good though so I might swipe that knowing no one is likely to claim it missing. :D
I think you meant to say "I might take the stereo for safe keeping. Just untill its rightful owner turned up"?

Thought so.

How terrible would it be if someone got a small plastic pop bottle full of petrol with a rag stuffed in the top, lit the rag, quietly placed the bottle on top of the front wheel then strolled off to see what happened?

Let us hope nobody does that, eh?

TheIronDuke said:
Ord_Sgt said:
I think you meant to say "I might take the stereo for safe keeping. Just untill its rightful owner turned up"?

Thought so.

How terrible would it be if someone got a small plastic pop bottle full of petrol with a rag stuffed in the top, lit the rag, quietly placed the bottle on top of the front wheel then strolled off to see what happened?

Let us hope nobody does that, eh?
NO WAY, my car is parked behind it :D

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ord_Sgt said:
NO WAY, my car is parked behind it :D
Insurance is a great comfort in these terrible times I find?

Ah go on go on. Guy Fawkes night and a claim from Tesco Insurance. Its a win-win.

Once you have secured the stereo. For safe keeping.

seriously mate, if the car is nicked see that it comes to a fitting end and goes up in flames. An 11 year old Alpha? The owner would be happy just to get the insurance money. Report it to cops and they will use the VIN etc to ping it back to the DVLA/insurance companies.

Personally I'd have been on the phone to the cops reporting it as suspicious, and waiting intently to have it blown up by the RLC. But that's just me, having fun in NI atm :D