Question for a resident Policeman?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ord_Sgt, Mar 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Genuine question, can you check if a car is reported stolen? Theres a red UK plated Alpha Romeo that appears to have been abandoned outside my house in Holland. Two flat tyres, covered in parking tickets and not moved for a few weeks. Registration is S405 DGT.

2. Set fire to it, it'll get towed away then.

3. I would imagine that the Dutch police have a link to the Interpol man at Scotland Yard?

4. Check with your local bizzies Sgt.

I think all European forces are linked up to DVLA now.

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Its not causing a problem and other than the flat tyres its in good nick. We don't get many local police around as its a very quiet area so I'm not sure they will have pinged it. Parking wardens issue the tickets here. I'm just thinking some bod is missing his car and it might be here.

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Thats the badger, so it might have been nicked after all. I'm not sure I'm public spirited enough to hand over my credit card details to these people though ;)

8. Begs the question mate, you live in a quiet area in a foreign country, a GB registered motor is nicked and get's dumped outside your gaff. What's the chances of that?

9. It's a 11 year old Alfa, There is a pretty good chance its finally died and the owner has abandoned it

10. Did you nick it after a drunken night on the town and are now trying to look innocent and cover your tracks?

11. Well I'd one - dont post the VRM on the internet - if it's not nicked and the owner's genuine he'll be p1ssed off. and two, phone a UK police station and tell them.

The Dutch police have an international liason dept who can get the cars history (from experience theyre actually really good!)

12. From the DVLA database. Not showing as exported although this site only gives details of Vel status

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for S405 DGT are:

Date of Liability 01 10 2008
    Date of First Registration 06 11 1998
    Year of Manufacture 1998
    Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1970CC
    CO2 Emissions Not Available
    Fuel Type Petrol
    Export Marker Not Applicable
    Vehicle Status Unlicensed
    Vehicle Colour RED
    Vehicle Type Approval null
    The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
    Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
    6 Months Rate £101.75
    12 Months Rate £185.00

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Certainly don't want to wind anybody up. Just thinking it might have been nicked and abandoned and theres some poor bod trying to get his car back.

Equally I don't want to waste the local police time if its nothing. As well as not getting some local ex-pat in the smelly stuff if he hasn't re-registered his car here ;)

14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I'm not local. I'm not police. And I got all the time in the world. How can I help?

Right, for starters nobody in their right mind would chaw an Alpha. Horrible Wop tin cans what they are. They are flash but useless for ram-raiding, outrunning Babylon or shipping out in a box to States who's names end in astanistan or atvia or omania. The Wops who made them got there ahead of us.

Second, if it gets nicked it moves off of the plot right fast. It tends not to hang around long enough for the tyres to go flat. On account of its just been nicked, you know?

I think you have just aquired a local static caravan.

Nice one. But it'll rot. They do, your stolen Alphas

15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I think you could be right, I just went out for a smoke and noticed its not got a tax disc in the window. The stereo looks good though so I might swipe that knowing no one is likely to claim it missing. :D