Question: Corbyn and NI Unionists

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Can’t find anything on this, and trust this won’t get hoofed out of CA. Fingers crossed, here goes:

Corbyn’s acolytes seem to make of the ‘bad’ reported about him being false news or misunderstanding. The Communist spy thing is the latest; he was ‘misinterpreted’ when he said he’d abolish student loans.

Similarly, there have been efforts to draw attention away from his close links with certain senior Republicans. I’ve even seen suggestions that pictures of him at IRA funerals are doctored.

One counter to his being a Republican sympathiser/apologist is that he also had more than one meeting with senior Unionists, often in the same visits to see Gerry, Martin et al.

My question: did he? One would expect photographic evidence were that so. It would be the ultimate rebuttal. So, what is the truth?

Can’t find anything on this, and trust this won’t get hoofed out of CA. Fingers crossed, here goes:

Corbyn’s acolytes seem to make of the ‘bad’ reported about him being false news or misunderstanding. The Communist spy thing is the latest; he was ‘misinterpreted’ when he said he’d abolish student loans.

Similarly, there have been efforts to draw attention away from his close links with certain senior Republicans. I’ve even seen suggestions that pictures of him at IRA funerals are doctored.

One counter to his being a Republican sympathiser/apologist is that he also had more than one meeting with senior Unionists, often in the same visits to see Gerry, Martin et al.

My question: did he? One would expect photographic evidence were that so. It would be the ultimate rebuttal. So, what is the truth?
I haven't heard any stories of him meeting Unionists/Loyalists but then why would he considering he advocated a United Ireland?

If such photos existed. They'd already be in the public domain because his supporters would have leaked them to friendly journos.

Neither have I, other than from those potentially looking to divert. Hence my asking.
I take it when you say senior Unionists you mean the leaderships of the UDA and UVF as he would have been meeting Ian Paisley and co every week in Westminster.

I believe Loyalist paramilitaries would have told him to go away to put it politely.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer

The narrative promoted by JC supporters also states he was part of the Peace Process, this was quickly dismissed by those who had actually been involved in the process when it first was spread. As JC was ideologically aligned with Sinn Fein it’s very doubtful that any Unionist, especially with links to the paramilitaries would ever have agreed to meet with him. Unless it was in a back room somewhere off the Shankill Road.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The responses so far echo my thinking. I just ended up in a conversation today where an assertion was made. I wanted to challenge it but also wanted to be sure. Hence asking.

...Unless it was in a back room somewhere off the Shankill Road.
Is it too late to have that arranged?

On another aspect of rehabilitating Corbyn, he tries to project a kind of neutral stance in that he was not actually against any party involved in the troubles but that he was simply an honest peacenik broker with no agenda against anyone, a sort of Gandhi/Mandela hybrid then. But if so when did he ever speak (either directly or indirectly) to troops to tell them that he actually had their welfare at heart as he did with Republicans? Never is my bet because this loved up hippy crap is just that, crap, but now that he senses a sniff of the PMs office like Abbott and McDonnell et al. they realise their true colours are now a problem and these views and the airings they got (recorded for all to see) somehow need to be airbrushed out of history.

I think he was a c*** then and I think he still is, ditto the others I mentioned above.

Last edited:
The responses so far echo my thinking. I just ended up in a conversation today where an assertion was made. I wanted to challenge it but also wanted to be sure. Hence asking.
I'd hazard a guess that Loyalists would have used DUP/UUP MP's to talk to the British Government.
The UVF were also talking to the Dublin Government in the 90's.. nothing has ever been said about Corbyn over the years.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Can’t why he would bother. It wouldn’t have helped him any in his days as left, left back bencher.. his reputation and history wouldn’t have helped him and he certainly couldn’t do the unionist cause any good within the party.

Unionists were usually seen as very much outside the labour pale and definitely no friends among the troops out side of things.

I can’t see any reason why he would have courted the unionist side at all. When it came to Ulster / Ireland Corbyn was very much a one note wonder. Where he would have been feted amongst the republicans, the unionists not so much.

Any way it’s a moot point. The wars been over for 20 years, the Ira lost. Adams and McGuinness are out of the picture and most of this generation wouldn’t know or care who they were.

Regarding the loyalist paramilitaries.
I've asked my dad about his views on them before. And I believe that his view of them was echoed by most squaddies at the time.
In that they were nothing more than a bunch of sectarian murdering scumbags who made the job of the security forces that much more harder.

Regarding the loyalist paramilitaries.
I've asked my dad about his views on them before. And I believe that his view of them was echoed by most squaddies at the time.
In that they were nothing more than a bunch of sectarian murdering scumbags who made the job of the security forces that much more harder.
I'll add to that drug dealing, bank robbing lowlifes. The bastards also had no problem signing on to collect their dole money.

The narrative promoted by JC supporters also states he was part of the Peace Process, this was quickly dismissed by those who had actually been involved in the process when it first was spread. As JC was ideologically aligned with Sinn Fein it’s very doubtful that any Unionist, especially with links to the paramilitaries would ever have agreed to meet with him. Unless it was in a back room somewhere off the Shankill Road.
And to be fair to Corbyn himself he’s never claimed that he did, it’s all come from his supporters trying to rewrite his history.

That said he’s not tried to switch it off either. He’s a dangerously stupid and naive man who’s being used as a patsy.

It was so secret and crucial to the peace process that not even he knew he was doing it, honest...

And to be fair to Corbyn himself he’s never claimed that he did, it’s all come from his supporters trying to rewrite his history.

That said he’s not tried to switch it off either. He’s a dangerously stupid and naive man who’s being used as a patsy.
Yes, a bit like he didn't rush pre-election to correct the 'misunderstandings' of what he said about student loans.

He's not dangerously stupid or naive. He's a master dissembler. He's very good at putting stuff out there which is very open to be wrongly interpreted, then when he's called on it he denies emphatically that what he allowed to be widely inferred was at all what he meant.