question about young offenders

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by brighton hippy, May 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. on another board a probation officer is going on about how he was sent away with a flea in his ear after asking what carrer options were there in the armed forces for his collection of chavs :cry:
    I was wondering though if somebody approached the army who been through the youth justice system would he still be in with a chance ?
    obvious jokes about kingos will be ignored :twisted:

2. They will let most people in , i am told, even with convictions for soft drugs, but i am not to sure on that !

3. I've known people who were given the choice of jail or join up for minor offenses. Don't know whether it's official policy or not though.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Jimmys - this has never been policy, but I have served with several guys who were given this option. Most turned out to be very good soldiers and many went up the rank chain once they had their heads together.

5. Join the army or go to prison was a choice given to more than a few petty criminals back in the early 1960s unfortunately the majority who chose the army remained petty criminals and a bloody nuisance they were too. Although some responded positively to the structured army environment most did eventually end up in prison or were thrown out.

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We seem to have had a different experience - a lot of the thieving came from guys who had been in the unit for a couple of years - regardless of their background. (Obviously I leave out the CQMS whose role in life is to lift anything not nailed down)

7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Personally, at times like this I just wish we had kept the Maze full. Given the situation in Iraq the axiom 'it takes a thief to catch a thief' springs to mind. In the case of Al-Zarqawi one could render the axiom 'it takes cut-throats to catch cut-throats'. I'm just hope there's still enough skeletons in their closets if we need their 'expertise' ;)