Question About Vaccinations

I.A. Dada

War Hero
I've had enough of the 9-5 grind and I'm thinking about going off to have some adventures. This will probably involve traversing a few 3rd World shitholes. No firm plans yet about itineraries.

One thing I'm already considering is vaccinations. I remember having more needles in me than a junkie during basic training and the first years of service. Unfortunately there's nothing on my medical records and the enquiry I made at the time earned me an 'affectionate' crack on the head with a pace stick and the information that I was being vaccinated 'agin t' pox an't plague'.

What vaccinations did I probably receive courtesy of Rob All My Comrades?
Which do I need to renew?
Are there any necessary ones that I might have missed out on?
Should I just get the whole range of jabs done again to be sure?

Any relevant advice appreciated.

westendboy

On ROPS
On ROPs
A bit hazy now but I recall getting around 13 different inoculations during basic training in `72.

Some of them made my arms ache for a couple of days but was insignificant compared to the actual training regime so we weren`t too bothered at the time.

Strangely, I`ve never had a days sickness in my life, other than those self inflicted, and I`m still a strapping 6 footer so perhaps it helped me to cope with the stresses of 2014 albeit accidental. :rolleyes: :boogie:

Don`t do drugs if at all possible.

The forces have never ever ever ever given any more than 2 or 3 vaccinations at one time ever ever ever. So the MOD says.However my drug record card from January 1991 disagrees. 7 in one day. Another 5 a few days later and so it went on,

Mikal

ADC
I'm very surprised your medical records from service do not list your vaccinations. If it's been more than 5 years since you'd had any I suggest having a chat with your local GP and go from there.

Some vaccinations need planning for optimal benefit.

If infected with 'Wanderlust' - use Head first !!
-Anti-Malaria
-Typhoid
-Hep.A & B
-Rabies
-Influenza
- The list goes on,as you will possibly visit Third World Countries.

Read Jarrod s NHS post above and DO read it all,you'll be amazed at what you had NOT thought of...

And for **** sake don't shag the women in Africa, your cock will drop off before you get the return flight.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

I've had enough of the 9-5 grind and I'm thinking about going off to have some adventures. This will probably involve traversing a few 3rd World shitholes. No firm plans yet about itineraries.

One thing I'm already considering is vaccinations. I remember having more needles in me than a junkie during basic training and the first years of service. Unfortunately there's nothing on my medical records and the enquiry I made at the time earned me an 'affectionate' crack on the head with a pace stick and the information that I was being vaccinated 'agin t' pox an't plague'.

What vaccinations did I probably receive courtesy of Rob All My Comrades?
Which do I need to renew?
Are there any necessary ones that I might have missed out on?
Should I just get the whole range of jabs done again to be sure?

Any relevant advice appreciated.
Off to Wales then eh?

-Anti-Malaria

In a lot of countries that applies only to particular areas in particular seasons. Check whether it's really necessary.

-Rabies
Very, very rare to come into contact to. Unless you insist hugging every dog/bat/ape you meet. Even when vaccinated you'd need to go to a doctor. Again, check carefully before you leave.

-Influenza
Wouldn't bother. In the 20+ years I've been around the world I don't think I've ever picked up proper influenza.
I'd recommend Tetanus to be added to the list and a boost of polio, meningitis.

Stanley 1975 said: ...there are some parts of the world where Malaria is not prevalent, constantly, (or similar wording - no offence !!) - just wanted to say that heading for the Carib area,I would take A-M tabs with me,as a stray Mozzy can get me and I'm caught !!
Remember reading a couple swanning off to The Gambia for 2 or 3 weeks and thought it didn't matter - when they got Home,both died within 3 months - from Malaria...

Stanley 1975 said: ...there are some parts of the world where Malaria is not prevalent, constantly, (or similar wording - no offence !!) - just wanted to say that heading for the Carib area,I would take A-M tabs with me,as a stray Mozzy can get me and I'm caught !!
Remember reading a couple swanning off to The Gambia for 2 or 3 weeks and thought it didn't matter - when they got Home,both died within 3 months - from Malaria...
I'd say you have a higher chance of getting killed in Indian traffic than dying of malaria. That doesn't stop people from getting into dodgy forms of transport. All I meant was, use common sense. You probably don't need anti Malaria tablets when hiking the Himalaya in winter. A doctor could advise you on this.

It also might give people a false sense of security. Not to mention that you need to finish the medication even when you're already at home. Jarrod might know more about how faithfull people take their meds.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Thanks for that Jarrod- I will check it out.

I had a very bad experience with Larium as a youngster- do you know of any sensible alternatives?
Doxycycline but it depends where you go. You must keep upright for about 30 minutes after taking it or you may well chuck up.
It also makes you photosensitive so you'll turn lobster in no time at all. Avoid sun where possible, cover up, high factor sun cream.

Latest Threads