Question about the QLR/RRF

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by inquisitive, Mar 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this is the correct place on the board to ask this but I'm wondering if anybody out there could help me?

I am a member of another board and we have a member there who calls himself The Colonel. He claims to have been with the QLR from 1989 - 2003 and is a retired Lt. Col. He claims to have been awarded a DSO for commanding his regiment in Bosnia.

He posted a photo of himself once (he didn't keep it up on the board for very long) but he was dressed in a red tunic and was holding a bearskin. On the bearskin was a white hackle with a red tip.

Some of us find his claims to be a tad exaggerated, especially when we consider the way he conducts himself on the board. I will add he claims to have a CBE as well as the DSO, and to be an HMI of the Armed Forces.

I suggested to him a red over white hackle surely indicated the RRF, but he has informed me the red tip merely indicates he was the Regiment's commander.

Unfortunately we don't know his full name, he claims his first name is James. He claims he is also a millionaire with two homes, one in Hampshire and one in Yorkshire, and he's a Justice of the Peace.

I've read your Walter Mitty pages with much interest and have taken the plunge and joined, to ask your thoughts on our Colonel.

I realise the QLR no longer exists, but if there is anybody who could confirm the CO of the Regiment would in fact wear such a hackle, it would be much appreciated. Your assistance and other thoughts would be welcome.

I have also tried to find out information regarding his claim about the DSO and can find nothing which would link remotely to him.
  2. this may have been better posted in the walts thread.

I'v cut+pasted your post and e-mailed it to a few blokes. I'll PM you if theres any informative reply.
  3. Fantastic! Thank you very much :D
  4. OK I only spent 2 1/2 years in the QLR TA before becoming a regular. But in the 1980s the QLR never wore bearskins.
    I may be wrong, but isn't it only the Guards that wear bearskins?
  5. That's what I thought initially, then I noticed the red over white hackle, and that confused me all the more.
  6. Only CO I can think of who got one in Bosnia was Bob Stewert (Cheshires). I'm sure I'd have come across your man at some point and I certainly know all the COs of the QLR in the five years or so pre amalgamation. So unless he was CO some 7 or 8 years after RMAS I suggest he may not be what he seems!
  7. AFAIK, QLR only ever wore cheese slices, not bearskins.
  8. I saved the photo he once posted, does this forum allow you to post images? If so I shall post it. I have very little knowledge of the Armed Forces, hence my reason for coming here and asking you all for help.
  9. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

mmmmm CO QLR was MR rising star Mendonca DSO, remember, he got stitched up over beatings / prisoners in iraq a few years back.
  10. What are his initials?
  11. load of shite pal,
    QLR officers never wear bearskins or hackles of any description.
    para reg tom is correct with mendonca, he was co until 2004
    out the walt barsteward
  12. Lt Col Mendonca's first name is Jorge, not James. I can't imagine for one moment this bloke would be him.

In addition to comments about QLR not wearing bearskins or hackles, they didn't wear scarlet jackets either (except mess kit - and I'd love to see that with a bearskin!).
  13. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

I never said it was , I was just naming the CO
  14. Inquisitive - this bloke is spinning a yarn or two.
  15. Here's the photo he posted, he is not Jorge Mendonca:

I shall also add he claims to have almost died (and clinically DID die until revived) after being injured in Bosnia. He spent months in hospital, and had to learn how to walk again. He had to get his intestines stuck back in and stapled up after being pretty much blown out. He was flown to a British Military Hospital in Germany then on to England.