Question about the Church of England and Chuck and Cammie.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Corporal, Mar 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the article below, it says the Church of England "frowns on remarriages by people who are divorced, and some Anglican traditionalists have criticized the wedding plans as inappropriate or even illegal under British law."

I am under the impression that the Church of England was started by Henry VIII when he told the Pope to f*ck off because the Pope wouldn't let him keep getting married over and over again. He sort of went through women like Flash goes through pies at the local shop.:D

Isn't that a strange position for the Church to take considering how it got it's start? If I'm off base on this, please point me in the right direction.

Royal wedding objection ruling due

2. I've not really looked into this in any depth Corps, but I understood that under the 1949 marriage act and the reformation of the stance that the marriage would be legal, as a royal affair, if the head of the church gave their consent. But I was also under the impression that the spouse of the King would automatically become Queen...
    Ready to stand corrected….

Beebs x

3. Corporal,

Henry went through lots of women and the church didn't object. It was a sort of Clinton thing without the hypocracy. His problem was producing an heir, pretty vital thing in those days.

Henry was a good catholic, but the Pope was more a Prince in those days than a clergyman, and he was playing politics with the French.

Henry threw a sissy fit and decided to become Protestant. My (Catholic) wife says he turned the nation Proddy but actually England was leaning heavily that way anyway, people were fairly cheesed off with all the heirs and graces that the priests and fellow travellors were giving themselves.

There is a strand of thought that says the forthcoming marriage is illegal. he Govt says it is legal, but then no-one in this country thinks that the Govt knows the differance between legal and illegal.

4. Thanks for the help. :D

5. The church didn't object as long as Henry was a widower.
    I don't see a similarity with the clinton thing at all.

Probably yes, to a greater extent it had to do with a struggle over who actually "ruled", Henry or the Pope.