• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Question about the Bible...

I read this elsewhere: nobody seems to have the answer so I thought I'd give this place a go...

"Dear friends

A question that has perplexed me for over thirty years is why when Jesus cast a devil or of a man this devil entered a herd of swine (pigs) who then killed themselves by running in the lake.

Given that Jews don't eat pork, what were the pigs doing there?

I asked a friend, who works in the Cathedral here, and who is, I think, a Christian, even if I am hardly am, this question, and he was stumped, having never noted the strange juxtaposition of pigs in Jewish lands."

Over to you.

BB

It is not forbidden for Jews to buy or own pork only to eat them. If a Jew has pork it is to fed to their dog. Also it could have the herd could have belonged to another ethnic in the regions as there were many.

Bravo_Bravo said:
I read this elsewhere: nobody seems to have the answer so I thought I'd give this place a go...

"Dear friends

A question that has perplexed me for over thirty years is why when Jesus cast a devil or of a man this devil entered a herd of swine (pigs) who then killed themselves by running in the lake.

I asked a friend, who works in the Cathedral here, and who is, I think, a Christian, even if I am hardly am, this question, and he was stumped, having never noted the strange juxtaposition of pigs in Jewish lands."

Over to you.

BB
Swine roam free, like wild boar in various forests. They existed and still do in the Holy Land. Just because something exists however does not mean that you have to eat it! The prohibition on eating swine flesh is common in early societies and may be traced to the fact that the meat spoils very quickly thus posing a health hazard, the propensity for pigs to carry intestinal parasites and the fact that, given what they eat, they were considered unclean - after all, would you want to eat anything that had been gorging itself on the outflow of your village's sewer? Their very uncleaness rendered them a fit place for a devil to be cast into in the minds of first century Jews.

The prohibition on various foods for Christians was lifted in the epistles after the death of Jesus.

Six mentions of Centurions in the New Testament, one (Cornelius) was the first gentile convert.

Several infantry Cohorts, including one Praetorian Guard plus a cavalry wing at the time.

Lots of Greeks and Roman Auxiliaries would have been up for a bacon roll.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Could it be that this is the reason that they don't eat pork. When did the no pork rule start anyway? Did someone just wake up one morning and decide that Jews shouldn't eat it 'cos it's 'unclean'. Why was it unclean?

Legs said:
Could it be that this is the reason that they don't eat pork. When did the no pork rule start anyway? Did someone just wake up one morning and decide that Jews shouldn't eat it 'cos it's 'unclean'. Why was it unclean?
See P_F's earlier post. Also IIRC shellfish were considered unclean for a similar reason.

Pigs are not allowed to touch the soil of Israel. So what they do is build a farm a foot of the ground and farm the pigs on that. They also get round the fact of eating pork by calling it white beef! Saw it all in a kibbutz. Laughed my socks off!!!

In addition, I have a personal theory; peoples who were, until recently, cannibals in Polynesia often referred to their prey as "long pig", a reference to the fact that humans, to them, tasted like pork. And we do share many genes, hence the fact that pig organs have been looked at seriously with reference to transplants.

I think that there is a chance that the prohibition on pork was just in case primitive people got the taste and started fancying their "neighbour's ass" in a rump steak stylee.

Purple_Flash said:
In addition, I have a personal theory; peoples who were, until recently, cannibals in Polynesia often referred to their prey as "long pig", a reference to the fact that humans, to them, tasted like pork. And we do share many genes, hence the fact that pig organs have been looked at seriously with reference to transplants.

I think that there is a chance that the prohibition on pork was just in case primitive people got the taste and started fancying their "neighbour's ass" in a rump steak stylee.
Nothing to do with the fact that (due to having no sweat glands) they can often be seen rolling around in their own sheeit to cool down?

That's my guess on why they're referred to as unclean.

Pigs are also shown in the bible during the tale of the prodigal son. The prodigal son (after spending his "inheritance") is forced to work on a pig farm.

Bravo_Bravo said:

"Dear friends

Over to you.

BB
If that is the only problem you have with inconsitencies in the bible then you haven't read enough of it.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/inconsistencies.html

for a looooong list of things that don't make sense.

Latest Threads