Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Royal Tank Regiment.

I wonder if anyone can tell me when the RTR stopped using Company and Sections to describe their units and moved to Squadrons and Troops? It was at some point during WW2 but I can't seem to find exactly when.
Thanks in advance.
Allan.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I am not a tankie.

I'd guess at 4 April 1939 when RTR and Cavalry became RAC. I can't find evidence, but a quick search shows no reference to companies after that date and no reference to squadrons before.

I may be wrong. I frequently am.

I wonder if anyone can tell me when the RTR stopped using Company and Sections to describe their units and moved to Squadrons and Troops? It was at some point during WW2 but I can't seem to find exactly when.
Thanks in advance.
Allan.
I’m an Tankie, before ‘38 we were the Royal Tank Corp, consisting of Tank Battalions and Armoured Car Companies. By then the ACC were starting to move over to light tanks.
In 1938, the War Dept changed from a Corps to Regts, and the following year as AlienFTM says, the RAC was formed.
We went from Companies to Sqns and Troops at the same time and as there were more Cavalry Regts, it was thought we should adopt the same type of Regimental internal organisation.

Thanks for taking the time to give your answers. I think I was confused because I'd read in a couple of places (Rude Mechanicals by A J Smithers and Mark Urban's The Tank War) that the official change was slow to be implemented by the tankies as part of their kick-back against the perceived 'demotion' going from Corps to Regiment.
Cheers
Allan

Thanks for taking the time to give your answers. I think I was confused because I'd read in a couple of places (Rude Mechanicals by A J Smithers and Mark Urban's The Tank War) that the official change was slow to be implemented by the tankies as part of their kick-back against the perceived 'demotion' going from Corps to Regiment.
Cheers
Allan
Mark Urban is a RTR/was Officer, the RTR didn’t really like loosing the Corps status. But because a War was on the Horizon, the Regiments just got on with it.
Remember the Royal Tank Regiment, may not have been around as long as other Regts within the RAC.
Since our formation as a Corps in 1917, we have formed our own Traditions and rituals like any Regiment. Mostly our Officers come from the middle classes, there aren’t too many Upper class twits (that’s not an insult to the RTR Officers who frequent this site :cool: ).
The Men In Black are the Oldest and the Best Tank soldiers in the World.

FEAR NAUGHT.

Cheers
Allan

Sqn/Tp and Coy/Plt are not strictly allocated to Corps or Regiments.

The Royal Army Ordnance Corps was made up of Plt/Coy/Bn

The Royal Corps of Transport comprised Tp/Sqn/Regt.

When the RLC was formed many of us had the ignominy of Tp/Sqn being forced upon us because of the stinking trogs.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We had tanks? Who knew? :chef::chef:
Not a lot of people know that during the Great War (probably before and after) cavalry recruits were allocated to, for example, the Corps of Hussars, Corps of Lancers, etc, and were posted wherever they were needed.

Unlike infantry, according to Mallinson, there was no sense of recruitment areas for the cavalry until 1958. Which means that I surely served with people who had not signed up for "the Geordie Hussars" . Probably the late John Christian, RSM in 1979, who on assuming the position, paraded the regiment and announced, "The only thing wrong with 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, there's two many facking Jawdees, " in his broadest Cockney.

Not a lot of people know that during the Great War (probably before and after) cavalry recruits were allocated to, for example, the Corps of Hussars, Corps of Lancers, etc, and were posted wherever they were needed.

Unlike infantry, according to Mallinson, there was no sense of recruitment areas for the cavalry until 1958. Which means that I surely served with people who had not signed up for "the Geordie Hussars" . Probably the late John Christian, RSM in 1979, who on assuming the position, paraded the regiment and announced, "The only thing wrong with 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, there's two many facking Jawdees, " in his broadest Cockney.

Are you saying anyone can wallop a donkey?