Question about RMP (v)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by chalky2494, Aug 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question do Officers in RMP(v) get involved with close protection or is that role only open to other ranks? Also what is the role of 253 Provost Company?

Cheers

2. msr

msr LE

Phone them up and ask...

msr

3. I spoke to a TA RMP guy a while back - apparantly the CP course will accept a TA RMP soldier, but on the condition of completing a period of FTRS.

I don't know if that means you have to be on FTRS prior to attending, or commence it upon passing the course, or even on failure!

That info is more than a year old though, so best bet is to follow Msr's advice.

4. I'll tell you what, if you are to lazy to ask the official channels then **** off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. I suspect that's arrse. If you get on via that route you'll be the first. I think you'd need to be on FTRS already and jedi mind trick everyone into forgetting that you're TA. The direction from the top is TA won't do it, but nothing stays the same forever.

6. Thanks for the replies and for those of you thinking I’am being a lazy shite FYI I have already tried speaking to them but no answer as yet (maybe on leave or something) and as I’am due overseas soon for work I thought I would post this to see if anyone from the unit may see it up and give me a heads up.

7. Bad form, old boy. Time of the month is it?

8. During the war (in the voice of Uncle Albert) i worked with some CP RMP and the team leaders were Sgt/Ssgt, the guys were spot on and they taught me all I know, I'm spot on now at Volleyball, Scrabble, Risk, and Close Protection driving.
    Dont give up,it's one of the best jobs you can do in theatre.

This message was brought to you with the help of Chardonnay.

9. Never worked with them, but RMP CP Teams do have a good rep. IIRC, the first generation of RMP Bodyguards were trained by Them. After a while the RMP developed enough experiance to train there own people.

There is a good book called The Bulletcatchers about the history of Close Protection, by the same guy who wrote Who Dares Wins,the "officall" history of Them.

A mate of mine in RMP(V) said the CP course was only open to regulars. But times change; RMP CP are probably as overstretched as everybody else.

Good luck.

10. Dont get me wrong, the guys taking over from us were real dicks but you get that with all units.
    I think the RMP CP side of things have been over stretched due to that many being enticed by the $ doing the civi contracts in the Middle East.

11. The courses are open to all but if you have a job time off may be difficult as it runs for 8 weeks. Once you complete the course you are 99% certain to get sent on a tour. But thats why we do these things anyway :D . You do not have to be FTRS.

12. Not sure that's true. Certainly not what 'our' head shed are saying.

13. I have a good contact in TA RMP who assures me it is. Most courses in the army are now open to TA if you get the time of you can do the course simple as!(Providing it is of relevance to you and your unit or for deployment) Have you seen some TA courses at your BDE SST lately? been on two in the last year, both had regular soldiers on them and these were weekend courses that in the past were TA only. The one army thingy they have chucked out means you can't say one course is for some and not others!!!

14. Your mate may be right, I'm only going by what I'm told by the head shed at 'my' RMP TA unit and the 3 or 4 blokes still stood by chomping at the bit for a course.