Question about restrictions on Muzzle energy

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by .338lapua_magnum, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quicky for any serving SASC members. Can anybody give me the background gen on why the MOD lowered the ME (from 7000J) of firearms used by civvies on Military ranges. Whilst I understand that if someone fires a firearm at an elevation of greater that 150 Mils they may shoot outside the RDA, has that not always been the case with some ranges?

Also, how will the new 3800J standard affect training with the L115 and the new L118? As a newly qualified member of civvie street it is a right kick in the balls not being able to shoot .338Lm on ranges that serving soldiers can. Cheers in advance.

2. Sorry, I thought you said "muzzie" energy.

Bigbird67 is the one to ask about that. Her moustache is massive.

Hope this helps.

3. The current temporary ME limit according to the NRA is 4500J. NRA/NSC may be enforcing this at Bisley.

To my knowledge no restriction has been notified to range users by MoD so just go by the range safety certificate.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It is a reaction to the lack of sensible risk assessing that would allow such calibres to be fired by us poor civvies (ex army etc). The problem is that it catches a lot of calibres such as 45.70 which despite having a good ME fall off quickly as they have the aerodynamics of a range shelter!
    If you look in current affairs before christmas a few of us ranted about the spineless gits at NRA council who rolled over until the members kicked up a fuss. it turns out after all that the incident that may have caused the me restrictions was from a service weapon fired on an approved service range in the UK.
    I recall up untill .338 LM became popular that .577 was allowed but only if the ME was sufficiently low as in a black powder loading. It always used to be on the range orders but was conveniently forgotten when the LM hit the big time.
    The over reaction by the MoD was typical H&S nazis in panic mode.
    The problem is especially for the notional rifle association is that paying members no longer put up and shut up and will not be bullied. The NRA is neither national nor organised.

5. Thanks for the reply folks. I presume this all started with the little incident with the .50 Cal Mg? Bloody health & safety nazis. Its sure going to bugger up the muzzle loaders with their hand cannons! Can anyone confirm that no ME restriction has been issued or added to any range standing orders?

As for the NRA, less said the better.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

nail hit on head!