Question about Reserve to Regular transferring

Hello,

I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance if you can; though please be aware that I have read all of your rules, know who "the mob" are and I am familiar with the story of "BlondeBint" so you can be sure that I've already read through the posts, googled it etc before asking the question.

I have recently signed up to join the Reserves in my area as a CMT. I am still in the very early stages and am currently busting my hole on the cross trainer, doing runs, doing "curls" (******* dumbbells, just learned the word "curls" this week) and things are starting to get serious.

Depending on how my medical shit goes (I have calculated that the last serious thing was exactly 4 years ago as of april) I should hopefully get accepted (based on the PDFs generously provided on this website).

My assessment is on the 9th-11th June and I'm hoping to be fighting so that I don't embarrass myself in front of a bunch of 16 year olds.

I am 32 years of age.

My question is:

The maximum age to join the reserves is like 49, and the maximum age to join the regs is 33 (you have to be on phase 1 by your 33rd birthday)

I don't want to join the regs in case it turns out that I ******* hate it, and then I'm in the mix and that's that, I'm stuck.

If I am already in the reserves, and it turns out that I can climb over walls and don't flip out when I get shouted at, I might wish to abandon my shitty civvy job and go full time, but I don't know if I'll know or be ready by my 33rd birthday, which will occur soon.

Does anyone know if they let you transfer into the regs if you're already in the reserves, and therefore have done phase one? (or at least half of it) or what the deal is there?

Like I said, I apologise for my ignorance and my convoluted question, but I'm a b00b

Thank you.

You can join the Regs from the Reserves but you will still have to complete all of the phases of training.

skymacuk

Old-Salt
Don't qoute me but as far as i know, you can transfer from the Reserves-Regulars up until your 43rd birthday.

Don't qoute me but as far as i know, you can transfer from the Reserves-Regulars up until your 43rd birthday.
But not without doing the whole training cycle.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Hello,

I'm new here so please forgive my ignorance if you can; though please be aware that I have read all of your rules, know who "the mob" are and I am familiar with the story of "BlondeBint" so you can be sure that I've already read through the posts, googled it etc before asking the question.

I have recently signed up to join the Reserves in my area as a CMT. I am still in the very early stages and am currently busting my hole on the cross trainer, doing runs, doing "curls" (******* dumbbells, just learned the word "curls" this week) and things are starting to get serious.

Depending on how my medical shit goes (I have calculated that the last serious thing was exactly 4 years ago as of april) I should hopefully get accepted (based on the PDFs generously provided on this website).

My assessment is on the 9th-11th June and I'm hoping to be fighting so that I don't embarrass myself in front of a bunch of 16 year olds.

I am 32 years of age.

My question is:

The maximum age to join the reserves is like 49, and the maximum age to join the regs is 33 (you have to be on phase 1 by your 33rd birthday)

I don't want to join the regs in case it turns out that I ******* hate it, and then I'm in the mix and that's that, I'm stuck.

If I am already in the reserves, and it turns out that I can climb over walls and don't flip out when I get shouted at, I might wish to abandon my shitty civvy job and go full time, but I don't know if I'll know or be ready by my 33rd birthday, which will occur soon.

Does anyone know if they let you transfer into the regs if you're already in the reserves, and therefore have done phase one? (or at least half of it) or what the deal is there?

Like I said, I apologise for my ignorance and my convoluted question, but I'm a b00b

Thank you.
Reserve to regular

You didn't look very hard.

Chimp

ADC
Ask nicely and anything is possible.

Majorpain

War Hero
Oh? Do tell.
RA quals can be the same for both Reg & Res, even to the level of regulars going on a course run by a reserve regiment! 3 guys i know went straight in, no loss of rank, into the same job they were doing as a reservist. Only thing they needed was a pid and willing chain of command.

Snapper 25

Clanker
Surely that can't be right?.

So if your over 33 and join the reserves, you could then join the regulars?. That would mean that anyone told old to join the regs would just use that route in.

If you join at over 33 you wont be able to do the full 24 years that would be possible before having to leave at 55.

If you join at over 33 you wont be able to do the full 24 years that would be possible before having to leave at 55.
If you join 33 (or 32) you still aren't going to do 24 years before your 55th birthday.

Surely that can't be right?.

So if your over 33 and join the reserves, you could then join the regulars?. That would mean that anyone told old to join the regs would just use that route in.

This was my thinking too; if it were possible then any munchkin could bypass the rules this way and it would be so common that there'd be a sticky thread on how to do it on this website.

I just thought I'd ask on the off chance.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

M

Mr_Logic

RA quals can be the same for both Reg & Res, even to the level of regulars going on a course run by a reserve regiment! 3 guys i know went straight in, no loss of rank, into the same job they were doing as a reservist. Only thing they needed was a pid and willing chain of command.
Is that Army policy or something the RA do due to manning levels? It is generally unusual for this method of entry to the Regular Army from the Reserve and in my experience done by exception. There are exceptions, but each one on individual merits and not guaranteed. I have known newly commissioned Army Reserve officers who want to go Regular. They go to Sandhurst and start day one week one, just like everyone else.

The best advice for the OP is that if he/she wants to join the Regular Army it is best to commit and do it directly. There are opportunities to leave during training if it is not right but assuming that entry via the Reserve is straight-forward is flawed. I have known a Reserve unit deliberately drag their heels to prevent one of their own going Regular.

The point about Regulars are they are people who have committed, not dabbled or prevaricated.

Switchback

War Hero
Is that Army policy or something the RA do due to manning levels? It is generally unusual for this method of entry to the Regular Army from the Reserve and in my experience done by exception. There are exceptions, but each one on individual merits and not guaranteed. I have known newly commissioned Army Reserve officers who want to go Regular. They go to Sandhurst and start day one week one, just like everyone else.

The best advice for the OP is that if he/she wants to join the Regular Army it is best to commit and do it directly. There are opportunities to leave during training if it is not right but assuming that entry via the Reserve is straight-forward is flawed. I have known a Reserve unit deliberately drag their heels to prevent one of their own going Regular.

The point about Regulars are they are people who have committed, not dabbled or prevaricated.
There are a handful of soldiers in my unit who have gone reserve to regular. Can be tricky admining them and getting them up to speed on career courses, but it's workable.

skymacuk

Old-Salt
I'm 42, currently in the reserves and looking to see what my options are with transferring into the regulars.
So i will keep you posted with the process.

Latest Threads