question about Recce Tank Crewman

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Thunderhawk, Jun 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently passed selection and I've been offered all 3 of my job choices with one of them being Recce Tank Crewman. I understand that apart from being trained up to drive, shoot and use the radio on the scimitar, you also get trained in how to maintain and sort of fix the scimitar as-well. In the job description sheet I got from my AFCO it says that I could gain a qualification in Engineering and Maintenance (or something like that) however when my dad did the 16/5 Lancers back in the 80s, he didn't get any qualifications of the sort. Can anyone currently or recently serving in the recce regiments confirm whether or not you get a qualification in engineering and maintenance as this is the role I want to go for and would hopefully get something out of it.

Wasn't too sure whether this was the best place to have this thread but since this is where the tankies lurk I thought I may as-well stick it on here for now.
  2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

As regards the question asked. Your father was right wrt his service, but nowadays it seems they do try to give the squaddy something meaningful to describe what he did during his time. Do NOT ask whether civvies look at these qualifications in the light the army want them to.

I suspect regarding the replies you get wrt some of the stuff around your question, it might be beer and popcorn time. There'll be people along shortly who will rip into what you wrote, though to fair we have seen many early posts that have been totally bone. I think you did it quite well. Just brace yourself for a stream of abuse for no reason other than that you are young and naive and if you want to enjoy your time in the army, brace yourself for years of friendly banter in this vein.

Oh and congratulations on a good choice of army career.
  3. Will we be taught how to shout "PIN!"
  4. Surely he will be taught to shout, "Batman, bring me my polished boots, what what!"
  5. Fcuk off Robin! Fetch your own.
  6. No tanks in recce for starters
  7. If you want civvy related qualifications go REME as a mechanic but not armourer,not much of a future afterwards unless you´re a gun nut,If you want lots of experience and a jack of all trades job with bits of paper that mean basically SFA when you leave then go Recce,on recce vehicles and not tanks as tanks are the big noisy things that are being slowly but surely phased out and scrapped.

Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yes you could get qualifications in engineering & maintenance if you transferred to REME.
    Alternative is Signals, computers and all that shit.
    If you want to become an expert in "Hurry up and wait" and how to look cool then stick with RAC.
  9. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

But of course what you want is to be a recce crewman. Go for it, embrace it, love it. Then a few years down the line when you have ticked all those boxes, think of a transfer into a cosy corps where they'll think you must be a hero cos you're ex-recce (go away and look up how many countries think Recce is a euphemism for Special Forces), however little you did, and learn a trade that'll be useful to you.

Worked a treat for me. Only downside is that I am decades behind in the company pension scheme, but I shall get an army pension in a few years and that's the price you pay for those years of fun.
  10. Assuming they'll still be taking NCO pilots by then. ;-)
  11. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The reality is that you won't be taught any serious mechanical skills. You'll learn the basics of maintaining the Scimitar, but serious jobs will be sorted by the REME.

Recce is a fantastic role and allows you all the fun of mounted combat with some of the fun (and the misery) of dismounted work. You stand a high chance of deployment to any future conflicts and you should have a variety of jobs you can do whilst you wait: Recce Regiments have FACs, Snipers and other interesting tasks as part of their ORBAT.

If you want decent civilian qualifications then you can go down the advanced signals route (all RAC troopers need to qualify in advanced signals, driving or gunnery). You won't get the same level of qualifications as the R Sigs guys, but I know several people who did fairly serious signals courses and then walked into good civilian communications jobs.
    • Like Like x 2