Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Nationality when born in BMH in Germany

Is that still based at Prinz-Albrecht- Strasse 8, Berlin? Do you have a current phone number?
We had to relocate the main office after some urban planning measures in the years 1941-1945. An appointment is possible only after prior arrangement with one of our agents.

I am a representative and can arrange a personal appointment. A handling fee of 9500,01 € will be charged, account number follows by PM.

ScooterDog

Clanker
It appears to be so easy back in the day. My old boy and Mother were both serving in RAFG in 1958 and I was born in BMH Wegberg. My birth certificate states that my father was a Corporal in the 2nd Tactical Airforce and my birth was registered in Dusseldorf.

Some years later I was educated at King's school Gutersloh for a short while. I recall that we had a discussion in school regarding citizenship and was shocked to learn that if my birth had not been registered with the German authorities within 6 weeks I would have been classed as a German.

I have no idea if my late Father registered me himself back then or if it was part of the process of being born in a BMH, as when I was serving in the Army in Oznatraz, my daughter was born in BMH Munster, I have no recollection of sorting out any paperwork what-so-ever. She is British and holds a British Passport that was hassle free to obtain. Her passport states place of birth as Munster and mine says Wegberg.

That's why I cannot understand some of the stories on this thead where folk had had a hard time proving who they are after being born in a BMH.

It appears to be so easy back in the day. My old boy and Mother were both serving in RAFG in 1958 and I was born in BMH Wegberg. My birth certificate states that my father was a Corporal in the 2nd Tactical Airforce and my birth was registered in Dusseldorf.

Some years later I was educated at King's school Gutersloh for a short while. I recall that we had a discussion in school regarding citizenship and was shocked to learn that if my birth had not been registered with the German authorities within 6 weeks I would have been classed as a German.

I have no idea if my late Father registered me himself back then or if it was part of the process of being born in a BMH, as when I was serving in the Army in Oznatraz, my daughter was born in BMH Munster, I have no recollection of sorting out any paperwork what-so-ever. She is British and holds a British Passport that was hassle free to obtain. Her passport states place of birth as Munster and mine says Wegberg.

That's why I cannot understand some of the stories on this thead where folk had had a hard time proving who they are after being born in a BMH.
My wife was born in Singapore (1955), her father was a Chief Writer in the navy. Seen her birth certificate yeaterday, a lot like a UK one, Extract from the Register but it was for a colony (or dominion, something like that). Never had a problem with proving she's British. Her Dad was posted back when she was 13, very envious of that teenage time :) We've been on holiday a few times, still in contact with her old next door neighbour who happened to marry an ex RM and he's done very well for himself out there :)

Right so at this rate, half the British army was effectively German- fair takes my breath away. :mrgreen:

Yeah heard about it. I've heard the logical argument that a child only has the rights of it's parents, the extension being that the Birth right only extends to what the family leaves their child. My mum naturalised British and then largely because of the Laws in force within the occupied zones in 1950. Normally before then it had been Blut recht.

But I automatically went on to Mums Passport and by that had my own British one for the purposes of being in the Military. Bearing in mind it was West Germany I served in and that was considered a home posting irc the actual need for me to have a passport was questionable, but we didn't have MOD90's only AB64. There was never any actual need for me to have German Passport and my family were born here. Then in Germany they changed the law about who qualified and why. Neither of my children speak German, unfortunate, but that's life, one can lead a horse to water etc. I did try- but work frequently got in the way.

Is the bank based in Argentina or Switzerland?
No, not those pesky argies.They are not so good when it comes to Corporate. Besides, they' been harboring traitors.
No, we have a long-standing and good business relationship with our Swiss friends based on a deep trust that makes no enquiries necessary. The best thing is, you don't have to deposit money there, they also take Valuables, Gold, Art and so on.

Similar situation here with the Hütterites, came from the Ukraine and Germany at the turn of the last century, live in insulated colonies speaking only Hoch Deuchtz.
An American guy I used to work with told me that when Congress voted which would be the official US language, English only beat German by 2 votes...

QRK2

LE
An American guy I used to work with told me that when Congress voted which would be the official US language, English only beat German by 2 votes...

That would appear to be a myth (German language in the United States - Wikipedia) however the influence of the German population of the US from the mid C19 to 1917 should not be underestimated. In particular their Army owes at least as much, if not more, to German than British traditions through that period.

Last edited:
Heard that before, 25 years ago, never yet nailed it down to a legitimate historical source.

In particular their Army owes at least as much, if not more, to German than British traditions through that period
Sadly, that chunk of traditions didn't include the military cultural key components that enabled Auftragstaktik to prosper in der Vaterland

Heard that before, 25 years ago, never yet nailed it down to a legitimate historical source.
Have a look at the History Guy, I think he did something on the subject. I don't think it came to a vote IRC but there was a movement to make German the official language or an official Language and I think it was something to do with the civil war as well.

Sabretooth

War Hero
Hello everybody,
My question is: Is my father a British Citzten by descent or otherwise then by descent when he was born in a BMH in Germany? Becaue the UK Border Agency website says "Generally speaking a British citizen otherwise than by descent is a British citizen who was born, adopted, naturalised or, in most cases, registered in the United
Kingdom or a qualifying territory." So is a BMH in Germany a qualifying territory or not? I really need to know because i am only a British Citizen if he is otherwise than by descent.

Thanks in advance
When my Son was Born at BMH Hannover they issued a form to obtain a British Citizenship Birth Certificate, which looks rather impressive with the Official Stamps etc. You then had it signed by the Co and you sent it to Summerset House to be recorded.. Our understanding at the time was if you did not send the Form , The Child was classed as a German Citizen and fell under all German Rules, Regulations and Laws of Citizenship. Which included when 18 having to do National Service.

When my Son was Born at BMH Hannover they issued a form to obtain a British Citizenship Birth Certificate, which looks rather impressive with the Official Stamps etc. You then had it signed by the Co and you sent it to Summerset House to be recorded.. Our understanding at the time was if you did not send the Form , The Child was classed as a German Citizen and fell under all German Rules, Regulations and Laws of Citizenship. Which included when 18 having to do National Service.
We're they still using goose feather quills in the pay office, back then?

Latest Threads