Question About Manchuria 1945

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Spanny, Nov 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One thing that's always puzzled me about Japan in 1945 is why they didn't deploy their army in Manchuria to the Japanese home islands

I've see differing acounts of the strength of the Kwangtung army and the one on the wikipedia seems to give the largest estimate

Soviet invasion of Manchuria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1.2 million Japanese troops where as most figures I've seen seem to have been in the region of 750,000 . Nevertheless it does seem stupid that the Japanese military were training women and children in Japan to resist the allied invaders with bamboo spears when there's hundreds of thousands of trained troops they could have used

So my question is : Why didn't the Japanese transport the Kwantung army to Japan ? Would I be right in speculating that Japan didn't have the merchant fleet to do so ?
  2. Large parts of the Kwantung Army and much of its heavy weapons had already been sent to Japan and the outlying islands such as Okinawa earlier in 1944/45, but I suspect you are right that by mid-1945 there were too few merchant ships left.
  3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The answer to your question is in your link,In 1945 the Kwangtung Army was no longer the mighty force that it had been in 1941, and a large amount of troops were young, inexperienced, and not Japanese, but large amounts of conscripted troops from Korea and other countries in the then Japanese empire, and as you mention they also had a major logistics problem, which allowed the massed Russian armour to shoot through the Kwangtung in only 10 days
  4. From what I have read, up to the Nagasaki Bomb the jap military was of the opinion they could still negotiate a peace so did not want to give up any gains.