Question about life in the barracks

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by gloamglozer, Jun 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey
    i've been wanting to join the army for a while now, on the British Army website it says 'when they’re not on a training exercise or operations, most soldiers work nine-to-five, Monday to Friday'
    I was wondering what this nine to five job includes?
  2. Right, I think I'll start off with treating this as a real question and lower my Wah alert system which is screaming out to be heard.
    I don't know how old you are but would guess pretty young. Wouldn't you think your "9 to 5" job would pretty much depend on what trade or job you hold? There are hundreds of trades in the Army. Technicians will work as technicians, operators operate, doctors doctor, nurses I can't go on. My Wah alert system is screaming at me to stop.
  3. Avoiding anyone with more than one stripe, as you skip between the block, the NAAFI, and the gym.
  4. 9? ******* 9? Who starts work at 09.00? Is this the latest version of Frank and his late starts?
  5. Sorry, probably should have mentioned i wanted to know what the infantry and guys who are trained in combat do during weeks when not on operations, basically more about their daily life
  6. It was more like six to five when I was in; if you weren't on guard or otherwise being fucked around.

Daily routine involved a lot of pointless drudgery, 'lookbusy' jobs, drill, inspections, classroom lessons and lectures (that were generally boring variations of a few basic topics) and physical training. Occasionally there were cadres and courses. PT involved either going for a cross country run, running around the camp with a heavy pack on, or doing circuit training in the gym. Sometimes it was fun and interesting, but more often than not it involved a lot of shouting and wasn't particularly enjoyable. There was a distinctly punitive approach to fitness and not much in the way of sport.

Hopefully that's changed radically. But if your unit isn't on ops, or training for ops, don't count on it. Garrison life is a tedious crock of shit that allows nasty little men and crap officers to thrive and prosper. Most people simply wished time away until Friday afternoon then got shit faced all weekend. People in Germany did it every night...

Edited to add: That's not a particularly positive account of daily life - and may be dated - but it is a useful counterbalance to the glossy recruiting bumf.
    I left the real horror stories out:)
  7. It's a lot like this, but not really

8. Thursday nights would be your turn in the barrel.
  9. 9 to 5? I must be owed a shit-load of overtime.
  10. I was told when a young sprog that the First Sergeant would bring me a cup of chocolate at bedtime. I was shocked to hear I had been lied to. ;-)

11. thank you for the replies
  12. And still do.
  13. You're paking the tiss, YOU owe wads, I'm going to report you
    to the Tax man for obtaining money under false pretentions.

14. How dated? And then maybe give a positive account? Can't get rid of good potential Soldiers. Although, might be worth while scaring the crappy soldiers and allowing the good soldiers in, with the government ******* up the the UK.

The NHS situation is proof enough?
  15. How dated?

Hmm...enough to make me feel middle aged when I add it up.
    There were times when daily life was a lot worse than the description I gave. Most Infantry BNs went through good years and...'less good' years. It depended on postings and the character and ability of the key personalities in the BN. It didn't take more than a year or two of bad leadership to turn a good and happy unit into a frustrated and demoralised bunch of blokes. Attempts to PVR or transfer would soar, as did termination of service, absenteeism and crime rates. Retention became a pressing concern for COs who were too purblind to see the reasons why men were trying to vote with their feet. As I said earlier (initially tongue in cheek) I've left out the real horror stories....

The advice I'd give to the original poster is to try and talk to blokes your own age who are currently serving in the unit you want to join. They might try and wind you up a bit, but you'll be able to make your own guess about whether they are generally happy or not. Your daily routine will depend on what your unit is doing and if it is training for an upcoming tour. Generally you can expect to revise and build upon the kind of things you did in basic training - though in a more relaxed and grown up atmosphere; you will definitely learn plenty of new skills. A big part of your day will be vehicle maintainance if you are in an armoured BN.
    Every unit is different and has it's own way of doing things. The culture in an individual unit can also change as the leaders change, so there is an element of pot luck wherever you go.