Question about Lee Enfield No4 Foresight

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by .338lapua_magnum, May 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A question for those that know.
    I have a Lee Enfield No 4 which was initially dressed in a Parker Hale Peep sight. Wishing to dress the old lady as she should I was by chance given a set of foresight blades for a Lee Enfield. However, as with most gifts there is a problem. The dovetail on the foresight blade is a shade smaller than the dovetail recess on the foresight block. My question is; are all Lee Enfield foresight blade dovetails manufactured to a broadly similar size, or as I suspect is there a difference for each of the models? Many thanks in advance.

2. The master will no doubt be able to give you the full details (and I don't mean to take thr p ss, he really does know it) but in my little experience I have noticed that the foresight blade blocks have differences, some being a drive fit, some having a tightening screw. I would be surprised however if the blade dovetails were ever made in different thicknesses.

Perhaps a closer examination is in order?

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have the band and dovetail block for one if you break it!

4. This egun auction is for a set of three, the sizes of which you tell him when the auction is complete.

eGun

He must have shit loads.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a box of those on my desk as we type. Not a problem though as they drift in with a little persausion.

6. Well, he's had 19 months to sort it out - I imagine hes found a solution by now!

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Nothing quite like feedback is there?

8. Thanks for that, I eventually solved the problem by putting silver solder onto the blade retaining wedge, then filing down until I could get an interference fit. Works ok - so far!