Question about joining

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by davidmofo, Apr 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am an Irish citizen who's family is from Manchester, and I would love to join the British army. But when I was younger I got a stupid tri-colour tattoo does anyone know if that would effect my chances of joining.

2. It depends where the tattoo is on your body and how prominent it is.

3. It's on my fore-arm its about six inches, really regret it now.

4. Also are Irish in the British army normally accepted by the other soldiers, any tips would be welcome

5. I don't think it would be a problem as long as your committed. having a tattoo of your countries flag isn't the worst offence. as long as your not running about shouting 'up the ra' i don't see it affecting you. people will obviously wind you up but if it wasn't for the tat it would be for something else. being a scots/irish celtic fan and in the process of joining i've found most of the problems are from my "friends"

6. could always pay to get it removed..?

7. My husband has a tattoo that could easily be associated with a well known biker group - although it is higher up than yours. He's never had an issue with it. And as I'm sure you are aware, the original meaning of the tricolour is peace and the union of the Irish people. (Green - Irish Republicanism, Orange - the Orange Order, The White between - a truce between all) I can't imagine why anyone would have an issue with that.

I would think the best place to ask would be your local careers office, although other chaps here will be able to tell you with more certainty. Best of luck in your career mi tesoro. x

8. lol In fairness if I liked the ra I would not be looking to join this army hehe even though I have a tri-colour tattoo. Which I did when young and stupid, my family is originally from Manchester and a lot have been in the British army

9. nah i know m8 lol. that was the only thing i could think of at the time lol. could always get a union jack over the top of it :p