• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Question about joining

I am an Irish citizen who's family is from Manchester, and I would love to join the British army. But when I was younger I got a stupid tri-colour tattoo does anyone know if that would effect my chances of joining.

I am an Irish citizen who's family is from Manchester, and I would love to join the British army. But when I was younger I got a stupid tri-colour tattoo does anyone know if that would effect my chances of joining.
It depends where the tattoo is on your body and how prominent it is.

I don't think it would be a problem as long as your committed. having a tattoo of your countries flag isn't the worst offence. as long as your not running about shouting 'up the ra' i don't see it affecting you. people will obviously wind you up but if it wasn't for the tat it would be for something else. being a scots/irish celtic fan and in the process of joining i've found most of the problems are from my "friends"

My husband has a tattoo that could easily be associated with a well known biker group - although it is higher up than yours. He's never had an issue with it. And as I'm sure you are aware, the original meaning of the tricolour is peace and the union of the Irish people. (Green - Irish Republicanism, Orange - the Orange Order, The White between - a truce between all) I can't imagine why anyone would have an issue with that.

I would think the best place to ask would be your local careers office, although other chaps here will be able to tell you with more certainty. Best of luck in your career mi tesoro. x

I don't think it would be a problem as long as your committed. having a tattoo of your countries flag isn't the worst offence. as long as your not running about shouting 'up the ra' i don't see it affecting you. people will obviously wind you up but if it wasn't for the tat it would be for something else. being a scots/irish celtic fan and in the process of joining i've found most of the problems are from my "friends"
lol In fairness if I liked the ra I would not be looking to join this army hehe even though I have a tri-colour tattoo. Which I did when young and stupid, my family is originally from Manchester and a lot have been in the British army

Latest Threads