Question about joining

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Yank09, Oct 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello I have been reading these forums for a few months when I first considered joining the British Army. I was born in the USA but have dual citizenship since my father was born in England, I even lived there for about 6 months last year and I absolutely loved it. To get to my question, I know the army performs some type of security check for new recruits and I am wondering how long mine will take since I have lived almost all of my life in the USA, also if there is anything I can do to speed up the process. I have talked to the careers office closest to my family and they have told me nothing regarding the length of time I would have to wait. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it, thanks.

2. phone an Army careers office. Itll be easier then having to endure the sceptic jokes here

3. Aye I am sure I will get all types of crap thrown my way but I really am interested in joining and I know damn well If I join I will be getting some sort of crap daily. Better I get used to it now than once I take the oath. Just wanted to add from my last post I have never had any criminal charges or anything like that. I just understand how governments work and how long the communication between them might take.

4. i dont realy know m8 and im not going to give you and answer for the sake of it. which you will get on here. but for a british soldier an application in this climate is taking aroung 5-6 months before they get a date for selection soooo....good luck anyways and keep us posted

5. not sure exactly how long it will take mate, but as PR said it normaly takes about 5-6 months on getting a basic training date so goodluck if you do go ahead with it, what regiment are you looking at ?

6. im sure that a guy from south africa was in the sam position as you, unless im wrong he was told that he was able to join. you really need to phone the careers office for more clarification. but if you hold british citizenship then I see no logical reason why you arnt allowed to enlist

7. Yank09, youll be fine with brit citizenship. The US is one of the easiest countries to perform security checks in, its not as if youve dissapeared for six months to a remote area of Pakistan to "go and visit relatives." Good luck, let us know how you get on. What are you thinking of joining up as?

8. Thanks for the responses. 6 months is a LONG time haha, I wish I would have applied while I was living over there I might be in by now! As for what regiment I want to join I honestly have no idea what the difference is between them. I would like to join infantry or cavalry as a job, but as for what regiment I have no idea. What would be the difference between say the Irish guards and Coldstream guards? Is it only ceremonial or would I have different duties?

9. Yank09, I am genuinely curious as to why you dont want to join the US Army? Is it the novelty of being able to join the British Army?

Last I heard US are better paid, have always been cared for better.

10. Look up the payscales, the british army is better paid. The reason I want to join is a combination of the fact I have always wanted to live in England (I realize I will be living in afghanistan for most of my enlistment!) and the numerous horror stories in dealing with the VA department I hear from ex american serviceman. I have 5 friends currently in the Army and USMC and plenty of family that has served at one point. All of them tell me not to join. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. What is the difference between the regiments though?

11. if you are in the irish guards your irish. some of our regiments are older than america, or they can atleast trace their history back further. just do some research, make a bit of effort if you want to join our army. and the reason he wants to join our army is that it although is smaller than the us army, its far superior in every way. did you know that us marines are supposed to be 'elite' yet to get in the 1.5 has to be done in 13.30 and training is only 12 weeks?? sounds tough :roll:

12. Aye I did forget to mention the soldiers I know in the British Army have said nothing but good things about it, and I would be proud as hell to serve. My grandfather and great grandfather on my dads side fought in WWI and WWII with the British Army. Grandfather WWII, Great Grandfather WWI.

13. Also what are some good sites or books with info about the regiments?

14. I can't offer you any assistance whatsoever but I wish you well.

P.S. 2nd Mercian is a damn fine regiment. 8O

Awaits incoming.