Question about joining as a sparky

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by dezzy, Apr 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got my first interview with the AFCO in two weeks, and i'm hoping to get into the sappers as a sparky.
    One of the things i have to know, i'm told, is which regiment/unit i'll be attached to once i've completed my training.

I've tried looking online, but from what i've gathered, it's not actually down to my choosing, so i don't know which regiment i'll get posted to.
    So what do i say at the interview? do i just give them the name of the unit i would like to be attached to? and if that's the case what regiments are open to sparky's?

thanks in advance for any help!
  2. Just say you'll be posted to an Engineer Regiment, either in Germany or the UK.

Although, why should you have to find this out? Isn't it the job of the careers office to sell you the career? I know I never had to do anything like that when I applied to join.

Unless they want to know where you are going to be posted (in which case, say Germany!), but I thought that was decided during training?
  3. each sqn has their own sparkies in it so it does not really matter which posting you get.

when you qualify as a class 1 then you can look at a more trade orientated posting within the corps.

trust me i know thats where i am now & you ain't shifting me easily from it :D :D :D :D
  4. Not at your build chubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  6. Doesn't matter what you tell them to PSO at Gib will totally scupper your plans.

They will try and "encourage" you to join Para/Cdo/EOD and give you all the talk however, very few Class 2 sparks actually touch it once they are in their unit. I finished mine 11 years ago and never touched it since - thank fcuk :lol:
  7. POT................................KETTLE.............................................BLACK
  8. a lot does depend on your postings cause i have been a qualified sparks for 16 years now & have been employed for the majority of that time as a sparky or if not employed most certainly called upon from time to time to "just pop up to this 'n' that hilltop" just to give them a hand :) :) :) :)
  9. The PSO has a special, secret method of deciding about your choice of posting...

He takes three darts and throws them at a map of all the possible postings for the Engineers, like Cyprus, Germany etc. He then looks at where you asked to be posted. He then takes a standard G10 tape measure, and he measure the distance of the darts and how close they are to your prefered choice...

You get the one that is furthest away.
  10. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CYNICAL.......................................................but fair :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. errr..............not any more if you saw the News today - last five coming down :?

I never got offered my A1 :lol: Did you do any sparky work before your A1???
  12. Well, thats what I decided after having two postings turned down!

edited 'cos I spelt two like a mong.
  13. shame........................................... wasted a few months of my life on top of those bab boys :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

yeah i did loads of work as a class 2, always got the jobs cause i had done a bit in civvy street so was a little faster than most of the army blokes even did a bit before i went through brompton just cause of reason afore mentioned :D :D :D :D
  14. Ahhhh.....civvy dabbling beforehand - explains everything. Apart from you I have never met a sparks who has done mainly his trade in the Corps. Come to think of it I don't think I have met many of any trade who have (or is it just me) :?:
  15. i have probably been lucky trade-wise however as you know i paid penance by also working in the qm's dept :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

not many artisan tradesmen are fortunate enough to get a lot of hands on experience i totally agree then when they do get a chance miracles are expected :? :? :? :?