Question About Infantry (Specifically Parachute Regiment)

Hello,

I couldn't find much information online about what to expect once you have joined an infantry regiment (especially since there are no conflicts at the moment). Once in the Parachute Regiment, for example, what happens exactly? What's day-to-day life like for a normal, unmarried infantry soldier? Are there any opportunities to undertake further training in, for example, foreign languages? Does the Army send any of its infantry on overseas deployment; if so where?

Thanks for the help!

Infantry Training Centre Catterick | ParaData

Home

Paras push the limits in Kenya

Inside British Army's Parachute Regiment for the first time in 30 years | Daily Mail Online

There are countless opportunities for self development and adventure training as a soldier. The more you put in the more you will get out, impress your boss and he will reward you by putting you forward for courses you want to attend.

Languages and the ability to communicate effectively are essential to effective soldiering. There are many members on here who learnt a language whilst serving in the Army - helps if you show an interest and kick off learning before you apply for a course. Better still go learn Russian, Chinese, or Arabic before you join. People think that squaddies are a bit dim, useful as van drivers or security guards, how wrong they are, most have more enthusiasm and capacity for learning than the average civvy - you can never stop learning.

As for what they do: They are kept busy.

Thanks a lot for your reply Effendi,

How did I miss these websites? Very useful. Good to know there are other external courses; I already have IRL Level 3 Russian, but Arabic would be a good idea to learn beforehand too, good idea.

Cheers

Thanks a lot for your reply Effendi,

How did I miss these websites? Very useful. Good to know there are other external courses; I already have IRL Level 3 Russian, but Arabic would be a good idea to learn beforehand too, good idea.

Cheers
The army has its own schools, one of which is a language school. As the army is not like a civvy college/uni where a working week is considered 16 hours and the summer hols last 8 weeks soldiers tend do do the civilian equivalent of two to three years learning in a year. It used to be that the highest level language course (1 year) offered by the army was considered equivalent to a degree within academic establishments of higher learning.