Question about foreigner (Solved)

No profiling huh? No trans persons in the IDF?
The Irish defense force is very forward thinking. Haven't you heard of the two officers Gerald Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzgerald or the female Sargent Gay Lick?

And an old one for the gas fans. Idf have a few Mayo gaa players with an all Ireland medal they're the transvestites.

To be fair I think he was translating directly from the word pareja (pair, couple) which is also a way of referring to someone you're in a relationship with.
That's what I though too, which is why I helped him out!

I'm by no means fluent, but the Spanish people will happily correct us - something Brits tend not to do, as they 'know' what the person is trying to say! I have been corrected by our local 83 year old goat-herd!

Sometimes Google translate doesn't do it right!

Hi again Luis

Let's try and answer some of your questions:

1. As a Spanish/EEA national you don't need to have lived in Ireland before you apply for the IDF. However you must have 'lawful entitlement' to reside in Ireland for the next twelve years. Not really a problem unless Spain leaves EU. Personally I would move to Ireland before applying as it shows the recruiters that you are serious about things.

2. You do not have to pay to join the IDF but you will need your airfare to Ireland (unless you take the ferry, which you still have to pay for) and a means of supporting yourself while you go through the recruitment process. If anyone asks for money for 'visas' or 'application help' it's a scam.

3. Fitness: you must be able to do 20 push-ups and 20 sit-ups in one minute plus run one and a half miles (roughly 2.4 kilometres) in 11 Mins 40 seconds.

4. The age requirements are pretty strict: minimum age is 18, maximum is under 25 for the army and under 27 for the navy at time of application.

5. You can only apply to join through the Current Competitions page so again beware of scammers.

Best of luck, hope you get what you are after :)
Thank you so much, you give me the information I needed. You help me a lot. I could even close the post with this answer )

Don’t call me sir I work for a living

assuming you’re a Spainsh national, residency is not an issue. You will have a lawful entitlement to live and work in the State as an EU national.

put in your details and good news is you are still young enough.

Your only issue is really if you a still serving in the Spanish military, as you have lived overseas your security clearance will take a little bit longer and getting over for fitness tests, medicals (which are fairly strict) etc

There are a fair few non-Irish in the DF ranks
Perfect then, the question is solved, thank to you too!

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
I don’t think being European means anything, but Spain also being in the EU might mean you could just wait a few years and transfer from the Spanish Corps of Foot into the Irish Corps (Verhofstadt’s Own)?

Do you speak English (I note you say using google translate) if not that is a major issue?!
Yes I use google translate to write sometimes, only when I want to write a long texts without mistakes cause write it is not my strong point. But I can speak it fluently and write it. But, to be honest, im scared cause of the irish accent. I mean, Im used to my girlfriend accent, and I can understand her but Im sure that there will be some people with a strong accent.
anyway that wont make me change my mind. Im sure that with the time I could be used to the accent

Yes I use google translate to write sometimes, only when I want to write a long texts without mistakes cause write it is not my strong point. But I can speak it fluently and write it. But, to be honest, im scared cause of the irish accent. I mean, Im used to my girlfriend accent, and I can understand her but Im sure that there will be some people with a strong accent.
anyway that wont make me change my mind. Im sure that with the time I could be used to the accent

you’ll get used to it

Thanks!
should I apply for army? or navy? I normally would prefer the army. But Ireland is a big island so maybe the navy could be interesting

depends on if you would like weeks away from home at a time in some of the roughest seas in the world

you’ll get used to it
Hah! I have English as a first language and a friend from Dublin. When he gets a wee bit squiffy, you can't understand a word he says! I also have a Geordie mate, and when him and the Boggy get going (drunk) we call it speaking Klingon, as nobody can understand a word, yet these two seem to having a conversation!

Hah! I have English as a first language and a friend from Dublin. When he gets a wee bit squiffy, you can't understand a word he says! I also have a Geordie mate, and when him and the Boggy get going (drunk) we call it speaking Klingon, as nobody can understand a word, yet these two seem to having a conversation!
I call sock,Sock, etc....

I call sock,Sock, etc....
Replying to myself, I've been here a long time. I DF are small but proud. They don't have to take numpties for that reason. UK forces will go the same way. I've known squaddies that had difficulty spelling their own name letalone keeping step with another.
Idf are not perfect but if they were part of UK forces we would have a fair few who would rise to the top

964ST

LE
In Arborfield in the early 80,s there was an Irish RP, who with a very heavy accent would ask you your Army Number when booking out at the week-end, he would always follow up the request with “Then Spell It” (I honestly hope that he was a master of comedy!!!)

In Arborfield in the early 80,s there was an Irish RP, who with a very heavy accent would ask you your Army Number when booking out at the week-end, he would always follow up the request with “Then Spell It” (I honestly hope that he was a master of comedy!!!)
The only problem the Irish have with the English language is saying the word EiGHT....

Thanks!
should I apply for army? or navy? I normally would prefer the army. But Ireland is a big island so maybe the navy could be interesting
I'm starting to get suspicious now.
also the Irish navy will go anywhere as long as they're home for tea.
sock.

Don’t call me sir I work for a living

assuming you’re a Spainsh national, residency is not an issue. You will have a lawful entitlement to live and work in the State as an EU national.

put in your details and good news is you are still young enough.

Your only issue is really if you a still serving in the Spanish military, as you have lived overseas your security clearance will take a little bit longer and getting over for fitness tests, medicals (which are fairly strict) etc

There are a fair few non-Irish in the DF ranks
Many Brits in the DF?

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Hi again Luis

3. Fitness: you must be able to do 20 push-ups and 20 sit-ups in one minute plus run one and a half miles (roughly 2.4 kilometres) in 11 Mins 40 seconds.

Easy! I could do that and I'm the minimum age + 50.

When I say 'could' I ask you to take into account three knee replacements - only two knees but one replacement failed - high blood pressure... ah sod it, who am I kidding? Though I still think I'm 18 every now and again.

Latest Threads