Question about foreigner (Solved)

Im going to continue answering in 50 mins, aparently the forum have a limit of post you can do in a thread.. Im going to be here waiting and reading meanwhile :)

This girlfriend of yours, are you sure she’s Irish?

There’s a few questions to ask her to check:

1. Have any of her family been murdered twice by the British Army?

2. Were any of her family involved in the Irish cotton industry?

3. Does she have unusual skill with foreign languages?

If the answer to all three of these questions is ‘Yes’ then she’s gen.

But you should post some pictures of her so we can be sure.
Well I suposse that all that questions are a kind of joke between the british and irish people and you are joking haha but, just in case, yes, she is from Dublin and the other 3 questions, i dont know.
thanks for your answer:)

Would have thought that a pre-requisite would be residency in S Ireland?

The entrance test is pretty hard for the Forces in the South!

They push you into a room with shovels leaning against the walls, and tell you to take your pick! Most fail!

hmm Afaik I think I dont need a residency there but.. i would like that someone clear this here. haha I think that im in a good physical shape

Hola Luis, que tal?

You may need to re-think your uniform and marching skills.....
View attachment 530480
Viva la Muerte!

Hi Luis

All the information you need to join is here:

w w w .military.ie/en

I suggest you go through it with your partner to avoid any misunderstanding regarding use of language.

Also, have you ever visited Ireland? It is bloody cold and all they eat is potatoes. Secondly, if you are a professional soldier in Spain how do you intend to get out of that so you can join someone else's army for the next twelve years?
Thank you so much for your help.
Im trying to find specific information, for example, if I need a residence there or live for a minimum years there.. or if I have to pay something. About Ireland, yes, i visited my couple there a few times :)
and I did a mistake in the email, im not a soldier yet, im trying to join the spanish army but cause the coronavirus they just stop everything here till the next year. So thats why im looking for information in Ireland.. I want a future for me and my couple, the army is my passion and if Ireland give welcome me, I would love to give my services there.

Hiya Lou,
Have you talked this over with the Irish couple that you have?
I don't know where you keep them, but perhaps letting them out for a few hours to look on the interwebnet for you could reap rewards.
Yes I talk with her about this, she think that is a good idea but we are still talking about it..
I dont understand what you said after that haha sorry, maybe is a joke between irish and british

Hello Luis.

Did a friend tell you about this site? It has leanings towards the British Army and since the British are leaving the EU is this a good place to learn about the Irish Army?
No sir, just googled "Irish army forum" and I found this one. Im sorry if I bother you with questions about irish army

You'd be better off joining the Gibraltar army, or navy, and applying for the Oiish Army from there. Just so you know I'se genuine, here's a link. But hurry up or you might miss out. :cool:
haha well I want info about irish army, you know.. Gibraltar is always a difficult issue between Spaniards and English haha

Assuming you are serious you should consider that the Irish Army is less than a tenth the size of Spain's, has no heavy equipment, and Ireland is not a NATO member. Ireland spends less than 0.3% of its GDP on defence, they do not take it seriously. The experience of soldiering there is likely quite different than your previous experience. Also it is cold and wet all the time there, and the food is terrible. Are you sure you can't convince her to move to Spain instead?
Im totally serious.
Spain is going straight into a social, political and economic crisis. Almost similar to the one before the civil war in 1936. I have tried to enter the Spanish army but everything is stopped by the covid. Everything is getting worse here. I live in the city with the least employment in Spain (31%). I think Ireland is a beautiful country and I like everything in general, although it is a big change with Spain. I don't care what the Irish army is like, if I go there, and I am welcomed with open arms, I will do my best to give my best service and have a new life with my girl there.

On that premise and with his experience, He should be able to go straight in as a Colonel then? At least his English is better than the majority of the serving majority!
Is “Tapas” not just a variant of “thrift food” he will get on! (and on, and on, and on, etc.)
Sorry was watching Father Ted Re-runs yesterday-night!?!!
hahah you make me laught with the "tapas"

Last edited:
You said in your original post that you are a soldier.
Later on you say that you tried to enlist but Covid has stopped everything.
Are you currently a serving soldier in the Spanish army?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
there are no profiling by ethnicity, nationality etc as far as I’m aware (just male/female).

there are a good few yes
No profiling huh? No trans persons in the IDF?

Luis - you and your novia make a couple, so when you refer to a couple, it means two people - palabra del dia!

What city in Spain 'only' has 31% unemployment?

Hi again Luis

Let's try and answer some of your questions:

1. As a Spanish/EEA national you don't need to have lived in Ireland before you apply for the IDF. However you must have 'lawful entitlement' to reside in Ireland for the next twelve years. Not really a problem unless Spain leaves EU. Personally I would move to Ireland before applying as it shows the recruiters that you are serious about things.

2. You do not have to pay to join the IDF but you will need your airfare to Ireland (unless you take the ferry, which you still have to pay for) and a means of supporting yourself while you go through the recruitment process. If anyone asks for money for 'visas' or 'application help' it's a scam.

3. Fitness: you must be able to do 20 push-ups and 20 sit-ups in one minute plus run one and a half miles (roughly 2.4 kilometres) in 11 Mins 40 seconds.

4. The age requirements are pretty strict: minimum age is 18, maximum is under 25 for the army and under 27 for the navy at time of application.

5. You can only apply to join through the Current Competitions page so again beware of scammers.

Best of luck, hope you get what you are after :)

Daz

LE
Hello Luis.

Did a friend tell you about this site? It has leanings towards the British Army and since the British are leaving the EU is this a good place to learn about the Irish Army?
Well, it's not like there's much of an Irish army to asks......... and we are right next door :)

ignore the idiots

Afaik if you are EU/EEA national there is no residency requirement

The key question is really what age are you?
Hello sir, thanks for your answer, you seems to be the person who could give me information.
Im worried about the residency requirement. Im looking for it in the irish army website and different forums but I cant find that. But when I try to fill the applyment test in the website, they ask me for a direction and postal code.. so
Im 21 years old sir.

That's interesting. Are there many non-Irish soldiers serving in the Defence Forces?
good question

I thought he might have gone quiet because google translate couldn't handle "Afaik". So I tried it and........ it can: "hasta donde se". What a world we live in.
haha i understood Afaik but thanks haha
yes, "hasta donde se" or "por lo que yo se"

Key question is what age are you as the Defence Forces have relatively strict age restrictions
Good morning,
im 21 years old sir

You said in your original post that you are a soldier.
Later on you say that you tried to enlist but Covid has stopped everything.
Are you currently a serving soldier in the Spanish army?
So you are not presently a soldier? You started this thread with

So you are, in fact, what we would call “a Walt”? How entertaining!
Yes! im sorry for the missunderstood. I wrote that in the Email cause I approved all exams and physical tests here to join. Im practically in the army. But cause the covid, they stopped the works the basic training centers and my so-called promotion is still waiting for last year's one to finish its training because of that, I still have not signed the contract or taken the oath. So, many of us, who will have to wait even until 2022 to enter, are choosing other paths. Some have decided to go to the police or fire brigade, I still want to join an army.

Luis - you and your novia make a couple, so when you refer to a couple, it means two people - palabra del dia!

What city in Spain 'only' has 31% unemployment?
hmm haha I didnt knew if I should use girlfriend or couple.
A city in the south Spain, Andalucia region.

Hello sir, thanks for your answer, you seems to be the person who could give me information.
Im worried about the residency requirement. Im looking for it in the irish army website and different forums but I cant find that. But when I try to fill the applyment test in the website, they ask me for a direction and postal code.. so
Im 21 years old sir.

good question

haha i understood Afaik but thanks haha
yes, "hasta donde se" or "por lo que yo se"

Don’t call me sir I work for a living

assuming you’re a Spainsh national, residency is not an issue. You will have a lawful entitlement to live and work in the State as an EU national.

put in your details and good news is you are still young enough.

Your only issue is really if you a still serving in the Spanish military, as you have lived overseas your security clearance will take a little bit longer and getting over for fitness tests, medicals (which are fairly strict) etc

There are a fair few non-Irish in the DF ranks

Good morning,
im 21 years old sir

Yes! im sorry for the missunderstood. I wrote that in the Email cause I approved all exams and physical tests here to join. Im practically in the army. But cause the covid, they stopped the works the basic training centers and my so-called promotion is still waiting for last year's one to finish its training because of that, I still have not signed the contract or taken the oath. So, many of us, who will have to wait even until 2022 to enter, are choosing other paths. Some have decided to go to the police or fire brigade, I still want to join an army.
In that case no issues, apply

Latest Threads