Question about CCJs and joining up

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by steve3883, Sep 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I was in the regulars years ago and have lived in France for 5 years, when I left the UK I had a CCJ against my name, would this be flagged up on a vetting check and if so would it affect me re-joining the Infantry?

Cheers,

Steve

2. Hi. Far as I understand, the CCJs are kept on record for 6 years, it could be less, but it won't be more. Best to do a check on yourself, just Google Experian.

Having said that, you ar still supposed to declare everything, asnd take a risk of being deemed unsuitable if they find something you haven't disclosed. Probably best to check Experian first, then disclose voluntarily, you won't be the first, I guarantee it.

3. Thanks very much for getting back to me, it was something that crossed my mind and I am still not sure if it would affect re-joining. That would be the only black mark against my name, I have read hundreds of posts on arrse, it seems that many have joined up with criminal records, having taken drugs, driving offences etc..etc...

Regards

Steve

4. You're welcome mate. There have been some really good threads on the subject, best to use the search function, but I wouldn't think a CCJ (which is a civil issue) would prejudice your application unduly.

I did check, and records of CCJs are retained on file for 6 years, same as for bankruptcy. seems crazy, but that just about sums up British law. See this link http://www.callcredit.co.uk/consumer/your-questions-answered/faq-display/public-data

Known plenty of people with minor criminal convictions get clearance, can't see why you would be penalised over an almost time expired civil financial dispute. Just tell the, the facts, they'll be sympathetic if you're honest.

And good luck

5. Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated, I did do several searches using various keywords but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for, thanks for the link I'll have a look now.

It does seem to be one of the less serious of "offences" but a mate of mine said that I could be refused due to having a CCJ, so scrolling through the "joining up" section I searched for an answer, didn;t find it but I did read lots of stories of guys with ABH / drugs related/ theft convictions being able to join up!

Thanks again,

Steve

6. I think more importantly the question I would ask is 'Is it satisfied'

If yes, it shows that yes, you fell short of your obligation but made good in the end. If no, it shows that you've totally neglected your financial responsibilities.

If the judgement is five years old, you could always apply to have it set aside, especially if you were overseas when the judgement was made against you.

7. I think you will find the Army will not find out from any of the Credit Agencies if you have CCJ's against your name. When a company phones them to ask for a credit check they only notify them the number of points you've amased, not specific cases. I was a bit of a bad debtor in the past and even informed them on my Security forms and still got clearence. i think honesty is the best policy in this case.

8. Honesty is the best policy, I agree wholeheartedly, as I do with MDN's comments.

But I can tell you from personal experience, there is more than one level of access to credit reference files, and they are checked. If you have ongoing financial problems and do not declare them, then it will affect your suitability for any meaningful level of clearance.

9. Hi guys,

Thanks again for your replies, much appreciated.

Steve