Question about Captain Beefheart for the Limeys

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Virgil, Jun 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Insane garbage or insane genius? What's the view from your quaint little island?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Too many Venus beans for me!

Hmm, Captain - What regiment was he in?

3. Limey?
    Quaint little Island?

look at the map of the world, in the middle at the top! what does that tell you? Responsible for some of the greatest innovations of the world. Greatest military. Greatest explorers. Greatest everything! GREAT BRITAIN :salut:

Bloody septics! :roll:

otherwise I have no idea what your talking about.

4. Why everyone knows the 'downtrodden' Scottish--under the oppressive foot of the English--were responsible for the world's great innovations. Or so they claim.

Everyone knows the English either own a shop & wear tweed jackets or work in coal mine and beat up Irish Catholics while eating fish & chips and sipping warm beer. :wink:

You don't know who Cap'n Beefheart is?

Shame!

5. We dont drink warm beer (we drink cold lager and room temperature stout/bitter), or cold ales whilst watching real sports unlike you bloody septics who drink "bud's" whilst watching effeminate homo's in tight shorts wrestle each other to the ground whilst wearing armour (wimps). or alternatively laugh at your lack of grasp of the English language.

anyway despite our culture divide (or your lack of culture) who is captain beefheart (or do I not want to know?) I'll assume he's a musician of sorts.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Ever seen 'Some Yo-Yo Stuff' by Anton Corbijn? Tis a fifteen minute 'documentary' of Capt Beefy and totally hatstand. Shame really, as he's a pretty good photographer as shown in the black and white phot on the left. Anton also did the front cover of the Joshua Tree album and what, pray tell is that little beasty in the background? Aye, a Joshua Tree.

7. Insane genius without a doubt. I still have a Captain Beefheart badge from the early '70s. Or was that Dr Feelgood - I don't know.

Oh, and I agree with you - the Jocks conquered the World, no one else.

8. I'll give you rugby, a fantastic game I love (I think I enjoy Union better than league because it's closer to American/Canadian football). But not soccer considered--by and large--a girls and children's game here in the states, though that seems to be changing.

Try a going to a college (American) football game and it's becomes an incredibly infectious sport to watch. The Pros not so much I think, though you can get stabbed and shot at Oakland Raiders games I hear.

Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band:

A Squid Eating Dough is Fast and Bulbous, Got ME? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Wu6Zw1fUc

Music Video 1982: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqRHr5pEIFU

About beer. I live in the Pacific North West (Seattle) where Budweiser is a term used for crap. Oregon and Washington (State) is where the micro-brewery trend started in the US about 25 years ago or so.

I'm not sure if you get them over there but if any store has imports try anything from micro-breweries like Pyramid, Rogue, Full Sail, Bridgeport, Redhook or Widmer. Any of them easily several degrees better than Bud.

9. Here's the intro from YouTube. Pretty wild stuff.

Some Yo-Yo Stuff

I wonder if Don Van Vliet (Beefheart) is already suffering from--I think--Parkinson's disease in this seeing as he's slurring his words.

10. ”Insane garbage or insane genius?

I’ll meet you part way and stop on ‘garbage’. The potential was there on some stuff, but never went anywhere. It’s like someone cooking you a terrific meal with plenty of good ingredients and mouth-watering aroma, then dishing it up and smearing it all over a wall – what’s the point?

I confess to having one piece of vinyl with Beefheart on it, (or B-fart as we called him), which is ‘Hard Workin’ Man’ on ‘Blue Collar’. But, they got him to sing but didn’t let him destroy the track. I liked the film and particularly the use of a press hammer to set the beat on that track – that was classic.

The people I remember going on about B-fart I also remember being the ones that kept spouting terms they though made them appear ’happening’. They were also the ones you could sell a double skinned bog standard roll-up to and tell them it was a joint, then watch them trip on Old Holborn – yeah, far out man, too much. :shaking2:

He’s often mentioned with Zappa but I see they're different planets. Zappa and the Mothers had the ability to be very different sure, but also to use structure, form and production. Whether to your taste or not, you can’t fault something like ‘Zombie Woof’ on grounds of chaos. It’s very well thought out, performed and produced to achieve effect, which is something, at least musically, can’t really be claimed for B-fart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUXdFFF9io Zombie Woof
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMpoRggs9s4 Dinah-Moe Humm (adult themes, as they say 8O )
    and then there’s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HRAEabk70 Dirty Love
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcFM0No2sdI Dirty Love (for over 18s not easily offended :twisted: )

No.9

11. Obviously you've never been to Newcastle then! :lol:

12. It's funny that one of his most accessible and finest (in my opinion) albums is Live in London 1974. His 'Magic Band' had quit on him and his label put together a band of reasonably decent session players to go on tour in Europe. The result was a lot of his bad habits--and a few good ones--were eliminated to produce a very decent and listenable blues-rock live album.

Though I think you could put together an excellent, maybe even astounding, two-cd anthology of his best work.

EDIT: I'd venture to say he was a genius who sometimes put out garbage perhaps because he was insane.

13. His one time drummer, Robert Williams, did a fabulous album called Nosferatu in the late 1970s with Hugh Cornwell from The Stranglers.

It was a superb piece of work but not likely to appeal to the masses.

The version of White Room excelled the Cream original mainly due to the drumming.