Question about Captain Beefheart for the Limeys

#1
Insane garbage or insane genius? What's the view from your quaint little island?

 
#3
Limey?
Quaint little Island?

look at the map of the world, in the middle at the top! what does that tell you? Responsible for some of the greatest innovations of the world. Greatest military. Greatest explorers. Greatest everything! GREAT BRITAIN :salut:

Bloody septics! :roll:

otherwise I have no idea what your talking about.
 
#4
fusil89 said:
Limey?
Quaint little Island?

look at the map of the world, in the middle at the top! what does that tell you? Responsible for some of the greatest innovations of the world.

Bloody septics!
Why everyone knows the 'downtrodden' Scottish--under the oppressive foot of the English--were responsible for the world's great innovations. Or so they claim.

Everyone knows the English either own a shop & wear tweed jackets or work in coal mine and beat up Irish Catholics while eating fish & chips and sipping warm beer. :wink:

You don't know who Cap'n Beefheart is?

Shame!
 
#5
We dont drink warm beer (we drink cold lager and room temperature stout/bitter), or cold ales whilst watching real sports unlike you bloody septics who drink "bud's" whilst watching effeminate homo's in tight shorts wrestle each other to the ground whilst wearing armour (wimps). or alternatively laugh at your lack of grasp of the English language.

anyway despite our culture divide (or your lack of culture) who is captain beefheart (or do I not want to know?) I'll assume he's a musician of sorts.
 

Forastero

LE
Moderator
#7
Ever seen 'Some Yo-Yo Stuff' by Anton Corbijn? Tis a fifteen minute 'documentary' of Capt Beefy and totally hatstand. Shame really, as he's a pretty good photographer as shown in the black and white phot on the left. Anton also did the front cover of the Joshua Tree album and what, pray tell is that little beasty in the background? Aye, a Joshua Tree.
 
#9
Virgil said:
Insane garbage or insane genius? What's the view from your quaint little island?

Insane genius without a doubt. I still have a Captain Beefheart badge from the early '70s. Or was that Dr Feelgood - I don't know.

Oh, and I agree with you - the Jocks conquered the World, no one else.
 
#10
fusil89 said:
We dont drink warm beer (we drink cold lager and room temperature stout/bitter), or cold ales whilst watching real sports unlike you bloody septics who drink "bud's" whilst watching effeminate homo's in tight shorts wrestle each other to the ground whilst wearing armour (wimps). or alternatively laugh at your lack of grasp of the English language.
I'll give you rugby, a fantastic game I love (I think I enjoy Union better than league because it's closer to American/Canadian football). But not soccer considered--by and large--a girls and children's game here in the states, though that seems to be changing.

Try a going to a college (American) football game and it's becomes an incredibly infectious sport to watch. The Pros not so much I think, though you can get stabbed and shot at Oakland Raiders games I hear.

anyway despite our culture divide (or your lack of culture) who is captain beefheart (or do I not want to know?) I'll assume he's a musician of sorts.
Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band:

A Squid Eating Dough is Fast and Bulbous, Got ME? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Wu6Zw1fUc


Music Video 1982: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqRHr5pEIFU

About beer. I live in the Pacific North West (Seattle) where Budweiser is a term used for crap. Oregon and Washington (State) is where the micro-brewery trend started in the US about 25 years ago or so.

I'm not sure if you get them over there but if any store has imports try anything from micro-breweries like Pyramid, Rogue, Full Sail, Bridgeport, Redhook or Widmer. Any of them easily several degrees better than Bud.
 
#11
Forastero said:
Ever seen 'Some Yo-Yo Stuff' by Anton Corbijn? Tis a fifteen minute 'documentary' of Capt Beefy and totally hatstand. Shame really, as he's a pretty good photographer as shown in the black and white phot on the left.
Here's the intro from YouTube. Pretty wild stuff.

Some Yo-Yo Stuff

I wonder if Don Van Vliet (Beefheart) is already suffering from--I think--Parkinson's disease in this seeing as he's slurring his words.
 
#12
”Insane garbage or insane genius?

I’ll meet you part way and stop on ‘garbage’. The potential was there on some stuff, but never went anywhere. It’s like someone cooking you a terrific meal with plenty of good ingredients and mouth-watering aroma, then dishing it up and smearing it all over a wall – what’s the point?

I confess to having one piece of vinyl with Beefheart on it, (or B-fart as we called him), which is ‘Hard Workin’ Man’ on ‘Blue Collar’. But, they got him to sing but didn’t let him destroy the track. I liked the film and particularly the use of a press hammer to set the beat on that track – that was classic.

The people I remember going on about B-fart I also remember being the ones that kept spouting terms they though made them appear ’happening’. They were also the ones you could sell a double skinned bog standard roll-up to and tell them it was a joint, then watch them trip on Old Holborn – yeah, far out man, too much. :shaking2:

He’s often mentioned with Zappa but I see they're different planets. Zappa and the Mothers had the ability to be very different sure, but also to use structure, form and production. Whether to your taste or not, you can’t fault something like ‘Zombie Woof’ on grounds of chaos. It’s very well thought out, performed and produced to achieve effect, which is something, at least musically, can’t really be claimed for B-fart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUXdFFF9io Zombie Woof
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMpoRggs9s4 Dinah-Moe Humm (adult themes, as they say 8O )
and then there’s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HRAEabk70 Dirty Love
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcFM0No2sdI Dirty Love (for over 18s not easily offended :twisted: )

No.9
 
#13
Virgil said:
Insane garbage or insane genius? What's the view from your quaint little island?
Obviously you've never been to Newcastle then! :lol:
 
#14
No.9 said:
”Insane garbage or insane genius?

I’ll meet you part way and stop on ‘garbage’. The potential was there on some stuff, but never went anywhere. It’s like someone cooking you a terrific meal with plenty of good ingredients and mouth-watering aroma, then dishing it up and smearing it all over a wall – what’s the point?

I confess to having one piece of vinyl with Beefheart on it, (or B-fart as we called him), which is ‘Hard Workin’ Man’ on ‘Blue Collar’. But, they got him to sing but didn’t let him destroy the track. I liked the film and particularly the use of a press hammer to set the beat on that track – that was classic.

The people I remember going on about B-fart I also remember being the ones that kept spouting terms they though made them appear ’happening’. They were also the ones you could sell a double skinned bog standard roll-up to and tell them it was a joint, then watch them trip on Old Holborn – yeah, far out man, too much. :shaking2:

He’s often mentioned with Zappa but I see they're different planets. Zappa and the Mothers had the ability to be very different sure, but also to use structure, form and production. Whether to your taste or not, you can’t fault something like ‘Zombie Woof’ on grounds of chaos. It’s very well thought out, performed and produced to achieve effect, which is something, at least musically, can’t really be claimed for B-fart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUXdFFF9io Zombie Woof
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMpoRggs9s4 Dinah-Moe Humm (adult themes, as they say 8O )
and then there’s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6HRAEabk70 Dirty Love
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcFM0No2sdI Dirty Love (for over 18s not easily offended :twisted: )

No.9
It's funny that one of his most accessible and finest (in my opinion) albums is Live in London 1974. His 'Magic Band' had quit on him and his label put together a band of reasonably decent session players to go on tour in Europe. The result was a lot of his bad habits--and a few good ones--were eliminated to produce a very decent and listenable blues-rock live album.

Though I think you could put together an excellent, maybe even astounding, two-cd anthology of his best work.

EDIT: I'd venture to say he was a genius who sometimes put out garbage perhaps because he was insane.
 
#15
His one time drummer, Robert Williams, did a fabulous album called Nosferatu in the late 1970s with Hugh Cornwell from The Stranglers.

It was a superb piece of work but not likely to appeal to the masses.

The version of White Room excelled the Cream original mainly due to the drumming.
 
#16
Virgil said:
I'll give you rugby, a fantastic game I love (I think I enjoy Union better than league because it's closer to American/Canadian football). But not soccer considered--by and large--a girls and children's game here in the states, though that seems to be changing.
Now whilst I will give you the one about "proper" football (i.e. the one we invented and named before you lot were even out of ceremonial head dress) being a bit of a girls game, at least they don't run around in suits of armour like that totally fucking gay and girlish bastardisation of RUGBY that you puffs call "American Football".

Yanks can never do anything without being tooled up or armoured, can they?

As for Cpt Beefheart, never heard of him. Is he like the Cpt Shaved Chimp that you lot call President?

I pity the US, a once great nation that doesn't now know the difference between state sponsored media propoganda and the real world. In all honesty I'd put Rugby players around 10 times higher than football players and football players around 10 times higher than big fat cunt American padded oval ball chasers. Never a duller game have I watched. An 80 minute game that can be made to last hours just because someone sulks for a while.

By the way, your quaint little colony would still be all red skinned or speaking French and whipping slaves if our quaint little island hadn't bothered to educate you.
 
#17
I’m sure I would have been glad to catch the new outfit, Virgil, if something had emerged at the time pointing out the changes. The Blues moves in and out of the popular eye as we know, and perhaps 74 was not very suitable, except for established devotees? Fleetwood Mac (original) was not headlining any more, the Stones were in a passé phase, Clapton was in the US and put out Ocean Blvd, even Led Zep had ‘gone quiet’ working on Physical Graffiti. R’n’R was having a rough time, at least the real stuff was. Dave Edmunds and Shakin' Stevens were gigging and recording but it wasn’t till later when they went more ‘commercial’ they really took off. Head Hands and Feet were out ffs, and every decent guitarist was talking about them, but commercially zero. Popular music was Glam Rock and Disco – it was the time of Abba.

Perhaps another short coming for CB was timewise he fell between the cracks?

No.9
 
#19
Well you see, ”In the beginning there was nothing but rock. Then someone invented the wheel and things began to roll!”
– Paul Barrett, 1970

Go on, from the over 50s treat yourself, All British :wink: :mrgreen:

No.9

And yes, that is Clapton in the audience – he knows his place when god’s on stage.

Wanna hear him when he's warmed up? god :worship:
 
#20
Went to see him at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1974; after Frank Zappa cancelled his UK tour, me-’n-me-mates spent the ticket refunds on the next best thing: Beefheart.

Not an particularly memorable concert; the only thing I really remember about it is that the Drummer, Drumbo, who was probably pished out of his shed at the time, stopped drumming and started dancing around on stage. Not sure that was actually part of the pre-show plan; the Captain didn't look overly impressed.

Have to admit that, after the concert, I decided that Beefheart wasn't quite the 'next' best thing; quite some way off in the distance from Zappa in fact. Now you've reminded me of it though, I might stick a copy of Trout Mask Replica on the next Amazon order and give it another go.

Thanks to Western for the Bonzo Dogs link. My favourite …..

Diggin’ General De Gaulle on accordion … yeahhh …. really wild General! … thank you sir.

.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top