Question about asthma

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by KennyT04, Nov 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What's up people, I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right section.

I've "had asthma" since I can remember, but it has only ever been triggered by my cat stanley in the summer, when he malts. I have never had exercise induced asthma. I run 2 miles a week, and swim 4 days of the week. I go to the gym and am fairly fit. I am still being prescribed an inhaler because my mum insists on it, even though I haven't had to use one in over 2 years. I don't have wheezing or hay fever, and have never had any symptoms of asthma while doing cardio.

So anyway, can you tell me what my chances are of getting into the army with asthma? Also if you want to know anything just give me some questions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forget it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. You see. That's what I hate. People like you who just jump to a conclusion without even thinking, you didn't even have time to read my post. I have heard countless cases of people with asthma getting in, including my uncle. You don't even try giving me any advice, you just arrogantly tell me to "forget it". I won't forget it. I've been wanting to join the army since I can remember, so I'm not just going to "forget it" just because you say so.

• Like Like x 2
  4. over protective mother + asthmatic potential recruit - use of search function = fail.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I think the Army need 7 years treatment free or something similar, check the Medical thread in Joining Up - Regular Soldier Recruitment.

6. "- use of search function = fail", I have used the search function, and all I've found is people who say stuff like "I've got asthma and I use an inhaler, can I join the army", I wanted to elaborate a little more than that and get some answers more direct to me. Thanks though.

7. He's right mate - You having been prescribed an inhaler will show up on your medical and won't be very helpful - there was a thread on here a while back where someone who had never had asthma either but had been prescribed ventolin after a bad cold and chest infection - showed up on his notes and was causing all kinds of drama with his application - last I heard he was trying to get the GP to remove it from his notes -

I suppose as long as you go to a cat free war zone you'll be alright

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well I hate people like you who are too ******* lazy to do their own research. Try McDonalds and you might get to be a wheezy 5 star general.

• Like Like x 2
  9. if you search properly you'll find a copy of the document that refers directly to asthma, as you appear to have some problems with this I shall abbreviate it for you. I will also use simple words and sentences. Now, without your anger issues causing problems, you need to be symptom and treatment free for 4 years (if my memory serves). So get rid of the cat, clean the house. Go to the Dr and if he/she agrees, hand back the inhaler and have your notes annotated to say you no longer need it.

wait four years and then have a go at joining up.

and Jarrod was right.
    and while you are at it, man up wet pants and tell your mother to wind her neck in.

10. You have Asthma. You have an inhaler (can you prove you don't use it?). You MUST be 4 years incident (and prescription) free before the Army will even look at you.

Think about it, why would the Army take a risk on someone with a known medical condition when there are thousands of others who don't have the condition?

And running 2 miles a week is not that much TBH. Will you have an attack on a 12 miler? Don't say no, because you don't know.

Good luck in finding an alternative career, or in your application in 4 years time.

11. Directly @ OP:

If you wish to avoid answers with a hint of sarcasm/rudeness/calling you a ****, you should try google or the Army careers office. This site has a very robust reputation and is full of people, like me, who just want to poke fun at people and generally act like an internet ********.

MB

• Like Like x 2
  12. You've had an answer (from a medical professional, no less), but you gave him a round of fucks because it wasn't the answer you wanted. Good attitude, muffin, you'll go far.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Asthma is a condition of the immune system. It is caused by an imbalance between the CD4 and CD8 cells, also known as the T Helper and T Suppressor cells. When an allergen enters the lungs it causes an immediate reaction which includes bronchospasm. This is the body's mechanism for restricting the ingress of allergens. Initial bronchospasm will relax and breathing will become easier. However the LAR (late asthmatic response) kicks in about 8 hours later and is accompanied by mucous plugging of the bronchioles and is associated with a severe loss of lung function.
    Since asthma is essentially an inflammatory disease treatment should initially be with an inhaled steroid which will work to reduce T Helper cell activity thus normalising the inflammatory reaction. Concomitant theophyline in low dose will have a beneficial effect on T Suppressors normalising their presence and creating a balance with the T Helpers. Whereas it used to be considered that theophyline had a narrow therapeutic window this theory has now been discounted because of the low dose effect on the T Cells.
    Interestingly Theophyline is a xanthine and shares many of its roots with caffeine. However a beneficial effect on the LAR with caffeine has not been established. Beta-agonist 'reliever' sprays are also useful for diminishing the initial bronchospasm but should only ever be used to relieve symptoms and should never be used prophylactively and should not be taken routinely. There is no known tachyphylaxis associated with beta-agonists.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Do you want to know something? This is research, first hand research. I have looked elsewhere and found that asthma is a DQ. I have also found out that lots of people make it through with asthma. How would you know whether or not I've done research? The next time I create a thread, I'll post as much information as possible, just for you. In fact, I'll write my life story well I'm at it.

You're just narrow minded, stuck up and smug. From what I've seen from you, you lack the ability to see things from other people's perspectives. I don't mean to be insulting, but I'm easily offended by people like you.

You tell me to man up? What is there to man up about? No need to try and be insulting, twirp. I've read the document about asthma (once again you assumed otherwise), but like I said earlier, this is first-hand research. If I have to then I guess I will wait four years.

I never meant to give him a "round house of fucks", I was just open minded about how I felt. I don't keep things in, I let them out. I have a back bone and will stand up for what I want. I was hoping for some advice when I came here, and so far only one decent person has replied. No need for you to come and infiltrate my thread.

Sorry if I came across a bit of a dick. And I don't doubt that you guy's will shoot another load of sarcastic comments at me. But go ahead, if it really does please you.

Also, Markintime, I respect your post, but I already have an idea of what asthma actually is, just not in that much detail.