Question about AP 3000

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by ECMO1, Dec 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wasn’t sure if I should put this here or under Aviation. Since the question concerns doctrine, decided on here. If wrong, MODs, please move.

The recently issued version of AP3000 (4th Edition) has a brief discussion on Organic Air Power? in Chapter 4 “Air and Space Command and Control.” It reads:

Almost every account I've read of the 2003 invasion said that the CAS and killbox ops were extremely well conducted in the MEF AO compared to the handling of air support in the V Corps AO. This extended to the point that aircraft in the Army sector would check-out with gas in reserve, check in the Marines, because the Marines had the reputation of either using you or sending you on your way, no messing about. Additionally, the Marines only kept their helicopters and KC-130’s as purely organic assets. Everything else was offered up to the CFACC, who did the job of scheduling CAS and killbox sorties into both sectors. But the CFACC did put Marine aircraft back into the Marine sector via the ATO, per an agreement reached between Lt. Gen. Moseley and the Marines.

Is it just me, or is the RAF bending the facts slightly to come up with the desired answer ‘That organic air, not under the control of the air force, is a bad thing’?