Question about 1 Rifles

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Zenno, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When 1 Rifles takes the commando role next year will they be under the same rules as Royal Marines in that they wont have to take P Coy in order to get their wings?

I also hear you can choose which battalion to join in The Rifles ... would 1 Rifles be the most sought after position and most people's natural choice ... due to the commando thing?
  2. Have a search for P company related topics, as I think there has been much written about this already.

I dont know what the answer was though!
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you have passed AACC then you have completed the required "arduous selection course" and do not need to do P Coy before attending Brize for the Basic Para course.

However, you will not be loaded onto the BPC unless you are in a para roled LSN. The shortage of course availability and the need to watch the budget means that the chance of getting on the course for a jolly are slim to bugger all.
  4. No, because we've all seen the picture of dodgy 'man-love naked initiation rites' involving naked marines and assorted fruit...
  5. Some people would pick Armoured or Mech over Commando. No point walking when you can get a taxi is there?
  6. lol, that's a good point. The commando thing interests me and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. The reason I'm in two minds about it is I don't want to be considered a Marine Wannabe or "not quite a Marine".
  7. As far as I am aware, no decision has been made as to the way forward for 1 RIFLES, other than the fact that it will be part of 3 Cdo Brigade.

I can't see the entire Battalion turning up for AACC, likewise I can't see them getting buckshee para courses, just because they have passed AACC. Not even the bootnecks are getting that anymore. The courses are being restricted to marines with a proper para role.

In my opinion, they will see that key members of the Battalion will complete AACC and any new members posted in from Catterick, would be expected to pass it. BUT I tink a totally Commando trained RIFLES battalion is a long way off

In my opinion :D
  8. at least the drop out rate due to injuries will be less on the AACC (not including enlarged sphincters! :lol: )