Query for relative in DLI in WW2

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Not a Crew Chief, Feb 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a long time lurker I have a question regarding an uncles WW2 service. I have some info from my father's recollections and a cousin has added to this but also raised more queries.

My Uncle was in 6DLI and, I believe, captured in Belgium 1940 and spent the rest of the war in Stalag 20b. Only thing is in 1940 DLI were in UK. My Uncle was in a signal platoon so would he be attached to another Regiment because of this trade skill, or were Light Infantry attached as a matter of course for skirmishing action ahead of the main body. I'm ex light blue so not big on Army tactics (groundcrew so not big on Air Force tactics either). Thanks in anticipation.
  2. 6 DLI Being TA he could have been attached to 2 DLI who deployed to France as part of 2 Div during 1940 and were very heavily engaged and took substantial casualties/men captured.

Light Infantry by this time was a title not a role as all units operated in a 'skirmish line' type formation.
  3. I have just finished reading the book 'Dunkirk to Belsen' ISBN978-1-906779-87-0, based around personal and eyewitness accounts of the DLI throughout WWII. It covers every theatre and every action the DLI was involved in and also includes a chapter of those unfortunate enough to be POW's. £20.00 well spent!
  4. 6th Battalion Durham Light Infantry served in the BEF in 151st Infantry Brigade, 50th (Northumbrian) Motor Infantry Division Commanded by Major-General G. Le Q. Martel a part of II Corps Commanded by Lieutenant-General A. F. Brooke
  5. Thanks for your help. My mother is going to try and find some letters my dad had. I'm going to do a bit of research on on the POW camp.