Query for Comms System Engineer

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by PoleGoal, Jul 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

My 18 year old son is finishing college this month and is looking for a career in the forces. The Army appeals to him the most (especially the Royal Signals) and he has visited his local AFCO a few times (but without me).

He wants to be a Communication Systems Engineer and I've read various bits of info about the job but still feel abit lost on it all. Doing that job, where would he usually be (when deployed)? Would he be going out with patrols?

He hasn't talked much about that with me and he says he "doesn't care about the danger as it's a part of the job" - a typical male. :roll: Me being a loving mother, I just want to know what he may be going through while he's out there. I want to know how dangerous that job is.

Hope to hear from some serving R.Sigs boys soon,

2. Considering you're his mother, you seem to know a lot about abbreviations (R. Sigs/ AFCO for example) and your post has a general air of knowledge about it.

A particularily well read mother perhaps?

I smell a rat..... but then I'm paranoid, apparently.
  3. Not really fella, R. Sigs is not the correct abbreviation at all (it is R SIGNALS), so your hypothesis might need to be tweaked somewhat. And the AFCO send out all their documentation to prospective soldiers, so I would expect parents to read it.

PoleGoal, the Comms Sys Engineer is not normally expected to be on foot patrols as part of the primary job, but the fact is that these days everyone deployed in nasty places will inevitably end up exposed to a certain level of risk. In all likelihood, your son will statistically be far safer than our infantry colleagues whose job it is to "close with and kill the enemy", but it would be unrealistic to expect that he will do a whole tour inside the wire. Plus, as a young man with adrenalin coursing through his veins, he wouldn't want to. The majority of the job is usually spent running around like a blue-arsed fly trying to keep communications equipment working.
  4. ROGER!!! Or breaking them when they are already running perfect!
  5. Harsh but fair! :twisted:
  6. I joined up at 16 as a tech (now CS Engineer, much as i dislike it) and after 10 and a half years I do not regret my decision one bit. I love the job and the training and quals I have gained are worth a fair amount. If you want your son to get a decent edumication like what i did then it's a good solid move.

If he joins now he'll be in training for approximately a year and a half, get his driving license (one less thing you'll have to shell out for) and then he'll get sent to his first unit. The wage is good and promtion is still fairly rapid (although it has slowed down in recent years). Depending on his unit depends on what job he'll do. When he deploys on ops the chances of him being on actual patrol are slim. However depending on where he goes he may be expected to move between sites.

The life of a tech on Ops can be quite frustrating. For one you never have any problems during normal times but if it's gonna go wrong it'll happen at 4 in the morning. Secondly there are large periods of time when bugger all happens then sods law dictates everything goes wrong at once. To get on as a Tech a sense of humour is a must! On top of that Techs tend to be on the recieving end of a large amount of banter from the rest of the corps (Jealousy maybe?)

If he's a bright lad with a solid head screwed on then he'll do fine. As a parent then all you can do is support him. My parents backed my decision fully (mainly because it got me out of the house and they didnt have to pay for further education) and I know that made my first few years considerably easier.