Query about Assault Vest

I bought an assault vest from my local surplus shop today. They sold it as an issue vest but I'm not 100% convinced. It has the draw string closures, two mag pouches with dividers etc and CN 8405-99-527-1800 on the label which ties up with the issue numbers but the label is shiny and not the usual dull appearance. It also has a velcro pocket made from mesh in the lower back.

Does this sound like genuine issue or has the shop sold me a fake? Also if deemed to be genuine, a few have suggested that it may not take the A2 mags...is this true?

Thats the thing, it doesn't have a manufacturer written anywhere on it. Don't really want to name the company just in case I'm wrong (don't think it would be fair to them). I'll try to sort a pic. Cost £80

andb, where did you buy the vest?

stilts

It's gen mate. I think, unless someone corrects me, its the old one.

Proffed one through a mate a while back and he got me it through the system, exactly the same.

andb said:
Can anyone confirm it will take the A2 mags, I read somewhere there was an issue vest that had problems with this.
Er yep it will, its a fcuking drama getting them in and out of the pouches though.

If you wnt the A2 mag to fit you will have to cut the divider out of the ammo pouches.

Stilts

Thanks for all the advice, I've taken it back and they gave me a refund no probs. I don't want to be mucking around cutting the dividers out etc. Anyone got any recommendations as to which one i should get?

Top tip, why don't you wait till you get to the sandy place and are issued with the new assault vest which is compatable with Osprey? and you save a tidy sum.

andb said:
Thanks for all the advice, I've taken it back and they gave me a refund no probs. I don't want to be mucking around cutting the dividers out etc. Anyone got any recommendations as to which one i should get?
Like others have said, you'll get issued one when you go on tour. Anyway, whats wrong with webbing? If anything, I reckon its better for everything other than vehicle work. No point in buying kit you get issued. Unless its for airsoft...? If this is the case, I most kindly must ask you to fcuk off and never darken these doors again.

No, definately notairsoft. I'm in the TA RAC but we do most of our work in landrovers which is why I want an assault vest and not webbing. We do have one guy in our unit that does airsoft for which much urine is extracted!!! :)

If you want a green Assault Vest for training etc then get the issue one and get the ammo pouches changed. Troopers did mine for about £30 (Inc Postage) and it's great now. Find the number in the Troopers photo thread and just give them a call. The turn around is a few weeks but it's worth it. I can put a pic up of the new ammo pouches if you want.

T C

andb said:
No, definately notairsoft. I'm in the TA RAC but we do most of our work in landrovers which is why I want an assault vest and not webbing. We do have one guy in our unit that does airsoft for which much urine is extracted!!! :)
Fair enough mate. Didn't mean it personally, just there are a lot of walts/airsofters who haunt these forums and you can never be sure :wink: