Query about 1970s fatigues.

TBF he had enough cap badges on there to star in a scout jamboree!!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
From what I understand He and Gary Glitter would have been like cheshire cats at a scout jamboree

In fairness, the berets in the 50s and 60s (and therefore holdovers to the 70s) were physically bigger than the more modern ones.

Pull up a sandbag... many moons ago, I was on a course at JSMTC Towyn, long since closed. It had been an airfield in the war, and some junior bleeders had another camp a mile or two up the road. Anyhow, out on the moor behind the camp that would have been the airfield, I found a beret. Corps blue, 1950s or 60s. I gave it a wash and dried it out. Although the band fitted my head, the "flesh" of it was ferking huge. So I can see why Monty's beret seems ginormous, and how Dr Who wardrobe types would have struggled to get the berets looking halfway reasonable. Though clearly, they hadn't even bothered, with a couple of them.

And why is the Brigadier's woolly pully without epaulettes? It looks arse.

Maple

LE
Woolly pullys came without epaulettes at one time and a draw string at the neck. In the 1990s at STC High Wycombe some Army officers were wearing private purchase ones in multiple hues with rank pips pushed directly into the wool

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
why is the Brigadier's woolly pully without epaulettes? It looks arse.
I joined the ACF in 1971. I was issued battledress, KF shirt and a brown woolly pully without epaulettes or patches. Wtf?

I was told to be honoured. It was officer pattern. It had a long slit where each shoulder title should have been. I was told I could feed the epaulette from the shirt went through their sdo I didn't need another set of titles. Like we had titles anyway, not. Durham ACF flashes on the sleeve was all.

westendboy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Are those green woollen gloves?

Oh the flashbacks - the horror. Agggghhh I need a lie down.
They are indeed Steven. Once they were wet, they stayed wet, a bit like the socks of the time.

I`m fairly sure they were made from the same material.

I think (getting hard now), that I wore my DMS without socks at Batus. I just tied them up a bit tighter and put up with the squelchy part or just used my own cotton socks sent by by my ma.

Boots DMS and putties would help the 70s vibe, there are lots of old gits who can point you in the right direction, they add a certain 'Britishness' and the govement were too cheap to give us US style combat boots until the mid-late 1980s

- edit, actually they're wearing gaters, I'm not that old, putties v gaters in the 1970s? As its for UNIT I'd go with gaters anyway
I got my boots - High leg around 1992! Was in putties and DMS until then! Mind you, I am RAF and we get everything later...Still got my putties somwhere! I was also wearing OG trousers and shirt in 1997/98. That was standard working dress on the "Wing"!

The mongs that cared about it would send one set to the laundry each week as the colour became lighter each time they were washed, which they reckoned made them look like 'old timers'.
LIghtweights. The terminally **** poseurs would lay out their combats on the vehicle park and give them a good going over with a stiff broom and a solution of hot water and bleach.

Not Dr Who but the proper thing at Girdwood Park in Belfast in 1977.

DPM combat jacket, lightweight trousers black puttees and DMS boots accentuated by a flak jacket and that rifle.

None of which helps with the OP's original question but shows what some people have been talking about.

Maple

LE
That idle man on the left, what do you feckin think you are doing? You, ginger second right, splendid tash and sidies, carry on......

That idle man on the left, what do you feckin think you are doing? You, ginger second right, splendid tash and sidies, carry on......
You weren't to know but you picked out the two guys who are both no longer with us. The guy on the left was killed in 1981 in South Armagh. The other guy passed away just before the turn on the century. Cancer I think.

Weirdly, I posted that picture on another thread some time ago and somebody else did exactly the same thing.

Latest Threads