Quentin Davies is new Minister

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldSnowy, Oct 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Quentin Davies MP, ex-Conservative, who abandoned the Tories to join 'Team GB' last year (in the first flush of Brown's premiership) is now a junior Defence Minister. Not quite sure which one, but whatever. Just what we need, a new SofS, and new junior Ministers as well. He was partly responsible for the report on the recognition of the Armed Forces in society, and his background - Oxford, Foreign Office, investment banking, etc., is typical of what we now expect from the Labour Party.

More to follow.

Who said "Why doth treason never prosper?"......
  2. Just what the Armed Forces wanted - an opportunistic 'turncoat'.

I suppose it is somewhat better than having Mandelson, but only just.
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My bold

Well, he's got what, a year and a bit in the job before he's pushed out by the electorate forever?

His old muckers may yet be in the job a lot longer than this feller, or of course, they may not considering that they ain't going to fix the current screw-up anytime soon, even with the best will in the world.
  4. I'm told he's been sniffing around the Tories again since Labour started to fall apart. The Tories have, wisely, told him that his services are not required.

I see from his web site that he employs his wife as his 'Parliamentary assistant' whatever that is. Wonder how much she's getting paid.
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

As indeed is Kevan Jones MP, who succeeds Steven Twigg. Mr Jones is a friend of BAFF and sponsor of the recent Armed Forces Federation Bill. Very interesting.
  6. Kevan Jones is a cock who has been outed in Private Eye for asking nundreds of the most ridiculous questions you could ever imagine. Along the lines of how much does the AG spend on flowers every year. Whether any official cars used by senior officers have been damged inthe lst two years.what the differences are between the roles of a mess steward and a mess supervisor.what sporting facilities are available at the residences paid for by his Department of the (a) Adjutant General, (b) Chief of the General Staff, (c) General Officer Commanding Northern Ireland and (d) Commander in Chief Land.

Find the whole ludicrous lot here:

e as obvioulsy got a massive chip on his shoulder against senior army officers, not any other service notably. No surprises he has no military experience.
  7. Perhaps you should read some of his other questions Ed? After your urine gets back to safe operating temperature that is.

Kevan Jones is big on troop and family welfare, it remains to be seen what he's like as regards procurement and getting the frontline what it needs.
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

As an MP and member of the Defence Select Committee, Kevan Jones's job was to ask lots of questions: it's how they find out what is going on. Government departments tend to be slow to volunteer information they might not want us to hear, particularly when it involves possibly wasteful spending.

On the other hand, Mr Jones undeniably has service personnel welfare at heart. This is what he had to say about the need for an Armed Forces Federation.
  9. From http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/NewDefenceMinisterialTeamAnnounced.htm

Kevan Jones said:

"I am very pleased to have been asked by the Prime Minister to take on the role of Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Veterans. I have always taken a keen interest in defence issues and my work as a member of the House of Commons Defence Committee has given me a first hand insight, both at home and in Iraq and Afghanistan, into the hard work and committment of our military and civilian personnel. As Veterans Minister I am honoured to be working with and supporting our veterans community, young and old, and also the associations that work tirelessly to support them. I look forward to working with you all."
  10. Well he was hardly going to say "Feck Private Eye - now I can get the real (imaginary) dirt on how Senior Officers sppend our money". I'll bring baqck Class War if it kills the Army"

The proof of the pudding will be in the delivery of better Services.
  11. I googled Quentin Davies's name and almost choked on my tea!

I cannot remember it but, surely, this has already been covered on Arrse?

12. msr

msr LE

Eh? Which Labour Party have you been watching for the last 11 years?

13. Quentin?????????????
  14. List in full: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7651229.stm

John Hutton is now Secretary of State for Defence. His site: http://www.johnhuttonmp.co.uk/biography.asp

So, not a complete tosser then...
  15. I did not want to be the first to mention it but Kevan Jones is as big a cnut as is imaginable - on the big side of big even for ZANU Neu Arbeit.

I would be wholly delighted however, if he proved me wrong on this.

The befuddled clown cannot even spell his Christian name properly. I wonder where he stands on the European Soviet Disunited Union and the crazed plans for a Urine Army? I gather he favours Armed Forces with no ranks and 'leaders' elected by all members. What really beats me is I think he 'represents' an area that provided thousands and thousands of men for The Durham Light Infantry during the last two German Wars.

Nothing surprises me any more and to cap everything my vicar, Rev Dr Peter Mullen, is b*llocked by all and sundry for being honest about 'poo-pushers'.

This country has been 'cream-crackered' by Bliar and is in the process of being 'cattle-trucked' by the incompetent, growling, nincompoop Brown!