Queens Speech

roninxix

War Hero
I am genuinely pleased to hear that, it put a lump in my throat. :)
You’re not the only one, it got seriously dusty in my kitchen.

Niamac

GCM
Not the one I took . ..no god in mine but worth remembering

View attachment 463075
That's interesting as when I looked at a Commission.

It states, "........... you will Obey and Follow any Order and Direction.......from.....your Superior Officer, according to the Rules and Disciplines of War in pursuance of the Trust placed in you."

I always took the phrase in italics to mean that the defence "Befehl ist Befehl" was invalid and you had to think.

That said I thought HM came across with the firmness of purpose and quiet resolution of someone half her age. She really is remarkable.

That's interesting as when I looked at a Commission.

It states, "........... you will Obey and Follow any Order and Direction.......from.....your Superior Officer, according to the Rules and Disciplines of War in pursuance of the Trust placed in you."

I always took the phrase in italics to mean that the defence "Befehl ist Befehl" was invalid and you had to think.

That said I thought HM came across with the firmness of purpose and quiet resolution of someone half her age. She really is remarkable.
Your commission does say that and I inferred the same about lawful orders. But the commission is effectively HM giving you a command after commissioning, the oath of allegiance is different and prior to commissioning/training

Dr Death

Old-Salt
In case you missed it or want to watch again?

British Airways pilot out of work due to coronavirus join Tesco British Airways pilot out of work due to coronavirus join Tesco

Why is Britain the best country in the world?
Because he will have a massive training loan to repay, he’s only been on line4 months. Not knocking the lad, far from it, just explaining one possible reason.

He is not alone.

Back to HMQ and her empathy with kids, how many kid, grandkids and great grand kids? I’m having a quiet snigger imagining crayons being ground into Buck House carpets or deployed on walls behind sofas. It makes a change from reading some of the crayoning here by the likes A Signal Failure.

Maybe this marks the retaking of the rainbow symbol back from the ideologically possessed. We'll see.

I dont think that David Icke is right with this one, she's no reptilian, shape shifting overlord. She's the queen.
Im rather hoping this whole scenario is going to show people that being right on with your banal woke shoite actually changes the cube root of cock all. Dare we hope that it being temporarily being consigned to the sidelines becomes fashionably permanent?

Yes, you lot really dropped a b*llock in 1783.
Who knew that Fat George would be replaced eventually by the Good German? :?
I have enormous respect for Her Majesty. She has been the one steady influence in our troubled times. I wish we had a figure of such stature here in the US, above petty politics who could advise on the best way forward.
George III coronation portrait.JPG
Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Portrait.jpg

slick

LE
I like the Queen, but was her speech really the example of oratory brilliance that some people seem to be claiming it to be?

She was doing what is expected of her and good on her for that, but I have to say that I found the content somewhat formulaic and obvious, not really anything to stir the soul. Necessary but entirely unremarkable, in my view.

I suppose that how you received it rather depends whether or not you're a monarchist diehard.

Will it stop idiots wilfully ignoring the social distancing rules? Will it discourage the selfish from hoarding? Will it give Scottish Chief Medical Officers with second homes any pause for thought? Will it shorten the duration of the pandemic by as much as a single day?

At best, it might be a shot in the arm for beleaguered healthcare workers. That, in itself, is no bad thing, but let's not lose the place completely.
I was thinking along the same lines. I think she has a lot more confidence in her citizens than they actually deserve, other than that I thought she was extraordinarily lucid for a 93 year old, obviously still got it after all these years.

Cheers Dr Death. Missed it last night as I was binge watching Animal Kingdom on Amazon Prime.

I think she has a lot more confidence in her citizens than they actually deserve
Indeed; we will prevail in spite of a sizable minority of selfish morons rather than prevailing as a result of the actions of the majority.

Because she's queen of 16 different countries, just one of which happens to be the UK. The majority of her subjects in fact are not UK citizens.

Here's the list: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, UK.

When PM Trudeau refers to her, he refers to her as "the Queen of Canada".

Cheers for this. I only heard it via online radio - it didn't occur to me there'd be a video.
My word, she appears sharp as a tack.
I didn't see it live here in the US (if it was shown, it would have been a news item) but NBC News posted it on You Tube today. The Queen is an amazing woman; it sounded like she was talking to me personally , a backwoods Indian in the wilds of Ohio, and reassuring me that everything would be all right in the end. If she isn't one now, she should be made an honorary chief of our tribe. Her graciousness and concern almost makes up for you lot scarpering off to York and leaving Tecumseh in the lurch.

Last edited:

Troy

LE
This nice picture was posted elsewhere in tribute and respect:
1246888491822317569-png__700.jpg

Funny...I could have sworn Her Maj was a Black Sabbath fan...
Ozzie Osborne.JPG

II didn't see it live here in the US (if it was shown, it would have been a news item) but NBC News posted it on You Tube today. The Queen is an amazing woman; it sounded like she was talking to me personally , a backwoods Indian in the wilds of Ohio, and reassuring me that everything would be all right in the end. If she isn't one now, she should be made an honorary chief of our tribe. Her graciousness and concern almost makes up for you lot scarpering off to York and leaving Tecumseh in the lurch.
This just appeared in the Guardian online's live updates:

For a republic that dispatched most of its own royal family to the guillotine 227 years ago, the French have an enduring fascination with the British monarchy, writes Kim Willsher in Paris.
Queen Elizabeth II addresses the nation on Sunday

Queen Elizabeth II addresses the nation on Sunday Photograph: Getty Images
The Queen’s speech on Sunday was broadcast live on three television news networks with simultaneous translation and followed by 2.35 million viewers an estimated 8.6% of the watching public, according to the media observatory, Médiamétrie.
BFMTV reported its audience rose by more than half a million viewers for the speech.
Stéphane Bern, France’s leading royal expert, wrote in Le Figaro that the Queen’s speech had “moved not just the British nation”.
She is a symbolic figure. When we say “the Queen” we immediately think of the “Queen of England”. She is a kind of mater dolorosa (sorrowful mother: a reference to the image of the Virgin Mary holding a dying Jesus), the soul of the nation.
Bern was particularly impressed by the queen’s “humility” in thanking NHS and other frontline workers.
“I found her very elegant. She was taking a back seat, unlike the politicians,” Bern said.
In another interview, Bern added the Queen had “underscored British values of calm, camaraderie and self-discipline”.
She is like a rock in a storm, here we have a woman who has reigned for 68 years and who will soon be 94 years old, who has known the war...and made reference to it.
The fondness of older French people for the monarch, always referred to as “La Reine d’Angleterre” (the Queen of England), has been transmitted to a younger generation via the hugely popular Netflix series, The Crown.
This fascination has been widely documented in the French media. In 2016, Adelaïde de Clermont-Tonnerre, a French editor, said she was astonished to hear people shouting “Long live the Queen”, when Elizabeth II visited Paris in 2014.

Latest Threads