Queens Speech

Is it too soon to open the book for Site Penis of the Year nominations? I know where my vote is going!
As for Her Majesty, I have no more words - fellow Arssers have said it all. She truly is a one off.

Perhaps of interest to Arrser's is how we speak of British sovereigns in the US. Saying the "the Queen" always indicates HM, Elizabeth by the grace of God, etc. There are other queens in the world but they are always referred to with (of Spain, Denmark, Norway,Sweden, Netherlands etc)

It was the same when I was a boy; "the King" referred to George VI, no one else. I was in kindergarten or first grade when King George passed away. I recall watching his funeral on TV at my grandfathers house (we did not have one yet). I knew we had a President, Harry Truman, but thought the King also had some role in the US also. I also recall seeing Queen Mary watching the procession from a balcony and wondering why she was not going to her son's funeral, not understanding how old and frail she was
Globally too.

There's only one navy with 'Her Majesty's Ship' in the name.

Everything else is 'His Danish Majesty's Ship' for example.

World wide Royalty is king somebody of somewhere.

There only one 'The Queen'.

And this isn't the first time she's talked to the kids of Britain.

There are videos with the full speech.

She wasn't the only one who served, even by staying in London. Phil graduated topof his navy officer class at Dartmouth and was one the youngest first ltd in the navy.

Serving in the Med and later the Pacific. And the invasion of Crete and Greece (istr). Picking up a few bravery awards along the way.

Last edited:
Tell the truth you ran out of bog roll..that's your bathroom wall. Invoking the spirit of old Bobby Sands.
That's the only way Bobby could depict a rainbow...

Globally too.

There's only one navy with 'Her Majesty's Ship' in the name.

Everything else is 'His Danish Majesty's Ship' for example.

World wide Royalty is king somebody of somewhere.

There only one 'The Queen'.
I’m afraid that’s not true.

That’s how British-English speaking people refer to them. For instance the Royal Norwegian Navy prefix their vessels with “KNM” which means Kongelig Norske Marine (lit. Royal Norwegian Navy in noggie).

I like the Queen, but was her speech really the example of oratory brilliance that some people seem to be claiming it to be?

She was doing what is expected of her and good on her for that, but I have to say that I found the content somewhat formulaic and obvious, not really anything to stir the soul. Necessary but entirely unremarkable, in my view.

I suppose that how you received it rather depends whether or not you're a monarchist diehard.

Will it stop idiots wilfully ignoring the social distancing rules? Will it discourage the selfish from hoarding? Will it give Scottish Chief Medical Officers with second homes any pause for thought? Will it shorten the duration of the pandemic by as much as a single day?

At best, it might be a shot in the arm for beleaguered healthcare workers. That, in itself, is no bad thing, but let's not lose the place completely.

I’m afraid that’s not true.

That’s how British-English speaking people refer to them. For instance the Royal Norwegian Navy prefix their vessels with “KNM” which means Kongelig Norske Marine (lit. Royal Norwegian Navy in noggie).
And Kings and Queens of somewhere are not referred to that in their own country. Only in foreign countries like "The Queen" is referred to the "The Queen of Britain (or sometimes England)" in other countries.
Spain, for example, doesn't say the King of Spain in their press, they simply say "The King" but they do say "The British Queen" or the full title of Elizabeth II. (Actually they say Isabella II).
But Little Englander syndrome is still strong.

Oh, and I thought she was brilliant. The way she puts it over as well as what she actually says. We are all going to miss her when she's gone and may that be a long time away.

Didn't 'get' the importance of including that reference in the speech, when 65 million people are all doing stuff to get through this.

Maybe just me being hyper- touchy about anything lbgtxyz politically correct rainbow
bollocks.
Here's the one we have up, my 15yr old daughter did it, but had to glam it up for the kids in the street.

It's also to show my solidarity with the Gays on the frontline, and to upset my muzzie next door neighbours*

1586165218023.png

*- Not really. I actually drove into Oxford yesterday to buy several kilos of Halal meat to give to them. Since he's had to close his business, he has no income. His family only ate leftover veg and salad from his shop last week because he couldn't afford to get into town and buy any. He would do the same for me if required.
Good deed of the day

Old! OLD!!! WTF do you mean old!!!
As in like you too, you auld sod. However that's only in body. Mentally I make five years on a good day. I have been known to struggle to reach six months on other occasions. Stay safe.

PS gloworm gave you another "old" example. He deserves a funny for that.

What happened to A_Signallers post, did a MOD bin or is he trying to hide the fact he is a bellthronk?

Grimaced slightly at the reference to rainbows - remainder up to the standard I have experienced all my life from the boss.

Immaculate.
Maybe this marks the retaking of the rainbow symbol back from the ideologically possessed. We'll see.

I dont think that David Icke is right with this one, she's no reptilian, shape shifting overlord. She's the queen.

I like the Queen, but was her speech really the example of oratory brilliance that some people seem to be claiming it to be?

She was doing what is expected of her and good on her for that, but I have to say that I found the content somewhat formulaic and obvious, not really anything to stir the soul. Necessary but entirely unremarkable, in my view.

I suppose that how you received it rather depends whether or not you're a monarchist diehard.

Will it stop idiots wilfully ignoring the social distancing rules? Will it discourage the selfish from hoarding? Will it give Scottish Chief Medical Officers with second homes any pause for thought? Will it shorten the duration of the pandemic by as much as a single day?

At best, it might be a shot in the arm for beleaguered healthcare workers. That, in itself, is no bad thing, but let's not lose the place completely.
I doubt anyone's claiming it was the greatest speech in the history of the English-speaking people, rather that the mealy-mouthed vilification from one of the site's weaker intellectual under-achievers non-starters serves little other than to emphasise the lack of character and moral compass that is even more of a cultural pandemic than COVID-19.

It was the same when I was a boy; "the King" referred to George VI, no one else. I was in kindergarten or first grade when King George passed away. I recall watching his funeral on TV at my grandfathers house (we did not have one yet). I knew we had a President, Harry Truman, but thought the King also had some role in the US also.
Well; if your stevedores had learnt to unload tea properly, things might have been a bit different......

Latest Threads