Queens Speech

Quo_vadis

Clanker
It was a very good speech, with HM even invoking St Vera of Lynn at the end.

(Not sure how the thread turned into an excuse for a bit of casual gay-bashing, but it seems especially ironic, given that Royal Family have more gay staff than you can shake a rainbow flag at.)

Rather than a rainbow, I'm showing optimism via "light at the end of the tunnel".
1586135629760331052060743990843.jpg

I thought she was going to jump up and burst into song at the end when she said
”we will meet again”.
I think she missed a trick there.
Just for you:

I deeply thank you for your respect. I posted this thread hoping that such appreciation would come out. I was not disappointed.
Perhaps of interest to Arrser's is how we speak of British sovereigns in the US. Saying the "the Queen" always indicates HM, Elizabeth by the grace of God, etc. There are other queens in the world but they are always referred to with (of Spain, Denmark, Norway,Sweden, Netherlands etc)

It was the same when I was a boy; "the King" referred to George VI, no one else. I was in kindergarten or first grade when King George passed away. I recall watching his funeral on TV at my grandfathers house (we did not have one yet). I knew we had a President, Harry Truman, but thought the King also had some role in the US also. I also recall seeing Queen Mary watching the procession from a balcony and wondering why she was not going to her son's funeral, not understanding how old and frail she was

Carbon 6

Old-Salt
I watched Her Majesty late this evening. I was hard pressed not to get off the couch and stand as she spoke. That lady projects more class, presence and inner strength than anyone I've ever seen.
They called Margaret Thatcher the 'Iron Lady'. She was an amateur compared the Queen.

WHY? it changes nothing, all the waffle and condescending piffle will not help those who are already suffering, or the relatives of the dead, and I'm sure it is a great comfort to the parents of the 5 year old child who died, to know that a woman they have never met, doesn't know her from a tin of beans, or is ever likely to come into contact with is chundering on to a nation, who have more pressing agendas. 3 hours devoted on one TV channel to Covid 19. Talking heads telling us something we are all intimately well aware of. Its on the news 24/7 in the press and out on the streets, staring you in the face.

She would could be better employed, sorting out Andrew, and mentoring her daft grandson.
I'm not going to repeat what other posters have already said here. Upon reflection, I feel rather sorry for you - a citizen of your generation so unable to appreciate what you have there.
Neither all the money in the world nor 99.9% of an electorate could enable any other nation to acquire such a phenomenon as HRH Elizabeth II. The character of her offspring and indeed of her forebears (and uncle) have absolutely nothing to do with it.
Regarding who it will or will not help, you would be surprised. One of her deputy lieutenants told me a few years ago about visits he had made to people on their death bed and the moving response he experienced from them and their family members.
In the way of things, her reign can't be expected to be for that much longer. You ought to be appreciating it. There will not be anything quite like her again.

Last edited:
Kids were painting rainbows for others to see when they could only walk around their local area. Nothing to do with identity politics.
By the standard of the drawings round my village, I thought it was a campaign to sack the local primary school art teacher.

I watched Her Majesty late this evening. I was hard pressed not to get off the couch and stand as she spoke. That lady projects more class, presence and inner strength than anyone I've ever seen.
They called Margaret Thatcher the 'Iron Lady'. She was an amateur compared the Queen.
I'm not a Royalist by any stretch, but I do respect her as an individual human being.
Sadly, last night may well herald one of the last seriously notable events she has to perform in bar, and hopefully not for some time ........seeing Phil off. She will never step down I believe until she is either wholly incapable or simply carked. Better it was the latter in terms of her dignity. A Blitz lass still doing The Job. How many can say that?

She's had enough though , caused by her bloody dip-shit family & associates, never outside incidents.
She has to be getting weary of them (and "it") all. As for her national address, if it made you feel better then great, if not just move on.

Last edited:
WHY? it changes nothing, all the waffle and condescending piffle will not help those who are already suffering, or the relatives of the dead, and I'm sure it is a great comfort to the parents of the 5 year old child who died, to know that a woman they have never met, doesn't know her from a tin of beans, or is ever likely to come into contact with is chundering on to a nation, who have more pressing agendas. 3 hours devoted on one TV channel to Covid 19. Talking heads telling us something we are all intimately well aware of. Its on the news 24/7 in the press and out on the streets, staring you in the face.

She would could be better employed, sorting out Andrew, and mentoring her daft grandson.
What a revealing insight into the thought processes of a probable toilet paper hoarder and panic buying lackwit.

This isolation must be killing off the pub bore types quicker than the virus.

What an absolute throbber you are. I can picture you pecking that post out on your keyboard with two fingers, thinking this'll get me some attention. Everyone will look at me and my insights into the world at large and be deeply impressed.
Sadly for you though, we mostly think you're a brain damaged, purveyor of tall stories, try too hard, Muppet.

(...) Neither all the money in the world nor 99.9% of an electorate could enable any other nation to acquire such a phenomenon as HRH Elizabeth II. (...)
Oh, I don't know about that. There's 15 other countries who seem to have managed it.

I ran to the window at the end, but must have just missed the Spits flypast.
Spitting is a criminal offence during coronavirus infection times. Plus, people have to be wandering around outside to be able to do it.

Slime

LE
My wee girl watched it with me and said "she's talking about my rainbow". She thinks she started the craze.

Edit.
People are having a pop at the Queen for mentioning the rainbows.

My Daughter is 8, autistic and obsessed with princesses.. So for a real life Queen to be coming down to my Daughters level, talking to her, is awe inspiring to her.
I am genuinely pleased to hear that, it put a lump in my throat. :)

Chef

LE
Perhaps of interest to Arrser's is how we speak of British sovereigns in the US. Saying the "the Queen" always indicates HM, Elizabeth by the grace of God, etc. There are other queens in the world but they are always referred to with (of Spain, Denmark, Norway,Sweden, Netherlands etc)
I'd say it's because she still has a bearing, however slight, on the body politic. Plus she is the bestest one ever:salut:

@StBob072 There's a fair number of people who'd remember life before the Queen, I'd also be willing to bet not many of them would want a republic.

As I come from across the big pond she is obviously not my queen but:
Just want to observe that the UK is fortunate to have a leader who is not a politician, who is above all politics and does not have to worry about special interest groups and currying favo(u)r with the groups who make campaign contributions.
Her Majesty is one amazing woman. Watching her talk about the current pandemic I realized that during the Blitz she was in London driving military vehicles. She must be the only WW II veteran still serving her country.

I should note that there is enormous respect for her in the US.
Yes, you lot really dropped a b*llock in 1783.

Latest Threads