Queen's South Africa Medal

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
So, another family visit has yielded another QSA. It's been contemporary renamed, but that's not unusual. Any chance of a quick look up? Named to 1036 Pte JR Johnson 5th MI Bdge [sic]. Whoever engraved it didn't know how to correctly abbreviate 'brigade'. I am, however, intrigued as to clasp entitlement and actual unit.
I think the engraver means Johnson was the RSM.

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
FourZeroCharlie did some amazing investigative work based just on an old black and white picture of my Graet Grandfather and a few half remembered stories. He found in record tiome a huge amount of detail on his gfairly brioef contribution to WW1.
I managed to do a bit more digging and found his attestion for joining the army for the start of the Boer War.

Fascinating to see that he joined specifically to go to war, but when you look at his occupation hardly surprising.

A scaler in the dockyards. Saw from census information that he was part of the mounted company for 1Bn Gordons.

My questions is based on this is it possible to find out more detail about his medals for the SA campaign. Looked like he had three medlas before going off to join WW1 tentatively ID'd as QSA. KSA and soemthing else,

GBM_WO97_6271_093_001 J Wilson attestation Gordon Highlanders (1).jpg

So, another family visit has yielded another QSA. It's been contemporary renamed, but that's not unusual. Any chance of a quick look up? Named to 1036 Pte JR Johnson 5th MI Bdge [sic]. Whoever engraved it didn't know how to correctly abbreviate 'brigade'. I am, however, intrigued as to clasp entitlement and actual unit.
Sorry, chap, but a cursory search has turned up nothing that relates to any of the information you've supplied.

I can find no trace of a '1036 Johnson' in any of the Boer War Medal Rolls.

I'll try again tomorrow . . .

FourZeroCharlie did some amazing investigative work based just on an old black and white picture of my Graet Grandfather and a few half remembered stories. He found in record tiome a huge amount of detail on his gfairly brioef contribution to WW1.
I managed to do a bit more digging and found his attestion for joining the army for the start of the Boer War.

Fascinating to see that he joined specifically to go to war, but when you look at his occupation hardly surprising.

A scaler in the dockyards. Saw from census information that he was part of the mounted company for 1Bn Gordons.

My questions is based on this is it possible to find out more detail about his medals for the SA campaign. Looked like he had three medlas before going off to join WW1 tentatively ID'd as QSA. KSA and soemthing else,

View attachment 488899
This one was a bit easier:

Wilson-QSA Roll.jpg
Wilson-QSA Roll 2.jpg

As you can see, there was some confusion as whether Sgt Wilson was entitled to the Boer War pair or just the QSA.

It took a while but he finally received his entitlement!

Maybe absolutely nothing to do with this but you may be interested in the read - if you haven't already found it:

Notably, the unit is 5th Bn Mounted Infantry of which one Coy is Worcestershire Regt.

And some more stuff:

5th Mounted Infantry is shown as part of 1st Mounted Brigade.

Last edited:
Had it not been for a family connection and idle curiosity then I probably would not have bothered with the medal given it's renamed.

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
This one was a bit easier:

View attachment 488956View attachment 488957

As you can see, there was some confusion as whether Sgt Wilson was entitled to the Boer War pair or just the QSA.

It took a while but he finally received his entitlement!
Thank you. That is brilliant and ties in with the mounted bit.

Interesting as he wasn't a country boy. Born in Belfast and worked in the dockyards.

Army then has him rding horses. Some things never change.

Had it not been for a family connection and idle curiosity then I probably would not have bothered with the medal given it's renamed.
Still can't find him.

It's possible that he was missed off the Roll - not unknown, given that this was in the days of Steam Clerking. Having said that, it never ceases to surprise how detailed and accurate the older records are.

The edge of the medal is skimmed and renamed: thus, it's possible that the old boy bought one from pawnbroker and had it named up.

Do you have a full name for him? Or, ideally, a date of birth/death?

Quoth

War Hero
Still can't find him.

It's possible that he was missed off the Roll - not unknown, given that this was in the days of Steam Clerking. Having said that, it never ceases to surprise how detailed and accurate the older records are.

The edge of the medal is skimmed and renamed: thus, it's possible that the old boy bought one from pawnbroker and had it named up.

I checked the casualty roll and found a Trooper JR Johnson of the Imperial Light Horse. He was wounded 25/10/1900 at Frederikstad. In the casualty roll his number is recorded at 1026 not 1036.

Hope this helps.

Q

I checked the casualty roll and found a Trooper JR Johnson of the Imperial Light Horse. He was wounded 25/10/1900 at Frederikstad. In the casualty roll his number is recorded at 1026 not 1036.

Hope this helps.

Q
Good spot!

AL1: sadly, that's not the chap. ILH was a South African yeomanry unit, composed mainly of English speaking S Africans. Not unknown for UK newbies to join - however, his clasp entitlement for the QSA is not as @BuckFelize posted and he appears on a later Roll as a Corporal.

Not our man, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Quoth

War Hero
Good spot!

AL1: sadly, that's not the chap. ILH was a South African yeomanry unit, composed mainly of English speaking S Africans. Not unknown for UK newbies to join - however, his clasp entitlement for the QSA is not as @BuckFelize posted and he appears on a later Roll as a Corporal.

Not our man, I'm afraid.
Always worth a look! Roll errors, either original or in the transcription, are not that uncommon - was hoping that was the case with the service number.

Last edited:
Still can't find him.

He was John Robertson Johnson born 1861 Lerwick Shetland. Father Donald Johnson. Mother Ann Mathieson (or Matthewson). They left Shetland in 1864/5 and settled in Leith, Port of Edinburgh. John Robertson Johnson died 7/2/1940 at Newhaven, Leith, Scotland. His death certificate says "Pte Royal Scots".

It would be nice to confirm SA service and in which outfit.

He was John Robertson Johnson born 1861 Lerwick Shetland. Father Donald Johnson. Mother Ann Mathieson (or Matthewson). They left Shetland in 1864/5 and settled in Leith, Port of Edinburgh. John Robertson Johnson died 7/2/1940 at Newhaven, Leith, Scotland. His death certificate says "Pte Royal Scots".

It would be nice to confirm SA service and in which outfit.
I'll give it a go, chap . . .

Latest Threads