Queen's South Africa Medal

Most grateful, it is filling in a lot of detail.
We think he was picked to go as Instructor to the Lifeguards because he had experienced the Boer Maxim guns on a few occasions and played with captured weapons.

Could I push my luck a bit further ?
He had a brother - William Arthur Scarisbrick.
Married to Grace Lillian ..... , 2 children.
Had a sister Hilda Mary.
Born 19 Feb 1882 , Hornsea , Middx but birth registered in Edmonton.

We dont know which Regt he fought with.
My mother remembers going quite a few times as a young child, to visit 'Uncle Bill' in a South London hospital ( Maudsley ?) which he never left as he was one of those pitiful shell shock cases.
Died 18 August 1975?

Back to the original subject, I was not aware that the 'pom pom' was used in a ground role. Being on the receiving end of a 37mm automatic cannon lobbing 1lb shells at 300rpm doesn't really bear thinking about.

Worth a watch:

Forgotten Weapons

Most grateful, it is filling in a lot of detail.
We think he was picked to go as Instructor to the Lifeguards because he had experienced the Boer Maxim guns on a few occasions and played with captured weapons.

Had a sister Hilda Mary.

My mother remembers going quite a few times as a young child, to visit 'Uncle Bill' in a South London hospital ( Maudsley ?) which he never left as he was one of those pitiful shell shock cases.
According to a separate Family Tree on Ancestry, this is William:

1592838707410.png

ETA: any idea which Regt/Corps he served with as, currently, I can find no trace of him.

Last edited:
Further to the initial post, some photos have been unearthed, the first being to a Thomas Carson. Carson was supposedly mounted infantry or IY, but the ball on his helmet spike suggests he was a gunner - which would tie in with the other photos. I don't know what the gun is, but it's not a 1lb QF 'pom pom'. As for the group shots? I cannot ID the cap badges, but they don't look like RA, so this could be the IY connection that's been mooted. This is the problem with unmarked photos: who, what, where... though we know that bit. They're cracking images anyhow. Carson really is pulling off that 'far dominions' look perfectly.

Thomas Carson in Boer War 1899_edited-2.jpg
PomPom_edited-1.jpg
Boer war group_edited-1.jpg
20200623_122519.jpg

QRK2

LE
Further to the initial post, some photos have been unearthed, the first being to a Thomas Carson. Carson was supposedly mounted infantry or IY, but the ball on his helmet spike suggests he was a gunner - which would tie in with the other photos. I don't know what the gun is, but it's not a 1lb QF 'pom pom'. As for the group shots? I cannot ID the cap badges, but they don't look like RA, so this could be the IY connection that's been mooted. This is the problem with unmarked photos: who, what, where... though we know that bit. They're cracking images anyhow. Carson really is pulling off that 'far dominions' look perfectly.

View attachment 484331View attachment 484332View attachment 484333View attachment 484334
Could he be HAC/CIV Gun Battery?

Might they be the Sappers who retrieved the abandoned guns?

Trilby

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
The only reference to guns I've ever come across is on Naval Good Shooting Medals, where the recipient's details and ship are accompanied by the type of gun the medal was won with. I've only ever had one and I wish I hadn't sold it.

Driver AW Hall transferred to the Reserve on 27 Aug 1906 and was entitled to a QSA with clasps 'Cape Colony', 'Orange Free State, 'Transvaal' and 'South Africa 1901'. These were earned with 'S' Section Pom-Poms.
13 minutes, a new record I believe. Well done, Old Chap.

Had a sister Hilda Mary.

It appears that the Maudsley's Archive is held at the Bethlem Museum. William Scarisbrick's records might be there.

So, another family visit has yielded another QSA. It's been contemporary renamed, but that's not unusual. Any chance of a quick look up? Named to 1036 Pte JR Johnson 5th MI Bdge [sic]. Whoever engraved it didn't know how to correctly abbreviate 'brigade'. I am, however, intrigued as to clasp entitlement and actual unit.

Attachments

Latest Threads