Queens Silver Jubilee Medal.

I've never much seen the point of gongs such as the various jubilee medals. You got them because you happened to be hanging around in the area at the time. There is no meritorious or distinguished conduct involved.

They remind me, rather, of the shiny baubles and china plates that are advertised for sale in the back of glossy Sunday supplements whenever there is another royal wedding or a new royal baby.
And why not, pray? I still wear my 'Charles and Diana' plate every 11 November, come rain or shine.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've never much seen the point of gongs such as the various jubilee medals. You got them because you happened to be hanging around in the area at the time. There is no meritorious or distinguished conduct involved.

They remind me, rather, of the shiny baubles and china plates that are advertised for sale in the back of glossy Sunday supplements whenever there is another royal wedding or a new royal baby.
Are you suggesting that I've gone a bit OTT with the commemorative China plate hanging off my rack as well?

ETA: Beaten to the punchline by @FourZeroCharlie !

I wasn’t awarded the hoodie I’m currently chilling out in. Does that mean I don’t have a right to wear it?
Idi Amin is dead, he awarded himself a Victoria Cross. As he no longer requires it, perhaps you can locate it, and ponce about on 11th of November next, no one will notice!

You are entitled to wear one mucker,
If officers can steal them, the government MOD won’t give them to everyone that’s serving then get your own and wear it, don’t listen to some of these Pratt’s on here
Facebook still down fella?

Put the bottle down and go to bed. Your liver will thank me.
Tappet, I very rarely drink my liver it top notch, but it's people like you that can really get at it!

One for Tappet, for the top of your brolly or flag pole>
Russian Pike staff top.jpg

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
It's how I got most of mine, bonus prizes given away with free trips to play in the sun.
Except for the NI clasp which denoted playing in the rain.

As I recall each base in Canada got 3, the CO got one as did the SWO, and the third was handed out to either the Captain of the hockey team, or whoever showed up first in clothing stores.
Before the days of eBay!

Hi gentlemen, got a question, as I was serving during the Queens Jubilee. Would I be allowed to wear said medal if I purchased one. I know the Gov (Labour) only paid for a small batch. Only two got issued to my Regt.
Its that a couple of bloke's at the local RBL, think I should get one as they say I'm entitled to.

Hi you don't state "Silver Jubilee" but as the Gold and Diamond were issued to all serving personnel subject to criteria (see Medals: campaigns, descriptions and eligibility ), the Silver Jubilee Medal was never intended to for all serving, I never got one, I suspect many a CO and RSM were "recipients" but I have no proof, except that in 1977 not many serving soldiers had more than 1 medal, many had none.

Only three QSJM were allocated to my Territorial battalion (6/7 Queen’s) - they were awarded to the CO, the RSM and the battalion’s senior Cpl.

I believe the choice of recipient was down to the individual unit commanders; I have heard of (rare) instances where the CO didn't bag one for themselves.
Do tell, I don't know of any who would turn down the opportunity for a gong in the days when they were rare on the ground. The options being NI, UN Cyprus, one offs Rhodesia and The Falklands and blow me down a Jubilee! I knew of Generals with nothing and they were at the wrong desk in MOD to get a Jubilee medal!