Queens Silver Jubilee Medal.

I know a bloke who stole a Golden Jubilee and a NATO Kosovo medal from the clerks office, who wears them to this day. Same guy who has a penchant for cocaine, pouring scolding hot pot noodles over his own face and failing PFTs even though he was a PTI

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I know a bloke who stole a Golden Jubilee and a NATO Kosovo medal from the clerks office, who wears them to this day. Same guy who has a penchant for cocaine, pouring scolding hot pot noodles over his own face and failing PFTs even though he was a PTI
If that's gen up, he must have a name.

Sounds like a top boy to me...at least he has accepted his role in the world ............unlike some..

Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour.......

Only asked!

I was talking to a work mate, ex RE, he was on the QSJ parade in London. He tells me that he never received the gong at his Regt, but when they were forming up for the Parade, the QMSM of his lot, was handing out the gong to every Tom on the parade.
By the way the two bloke's in the RBL are in their late 40s.
Well the way it looks its best I don't get one then. I'll stick to me NI bling.
I'm 50, I was 9 years old in 1977

My mate who was in 2RRF at the time got one, I don't know how they distributed them but I don't think he was the youngest serving soldier.
Unlike the all comers approach today where everyone gets one back in 1977 they were very hard to get hold of!
Not sure what the scale was - but 6 per Battalion would not be far off the mark allocated to the CO -2ic- Adj -RSM Provost Sgt and a Jock!
My Dad a Brigadier at the time didn't get a sniff at one in MOD and I was part of the RMAS contingent for the ceremony in London and we didn't get one either, had we I am sure the C/Sgt's back at the big white factory would have either nicked them or stoven out heads in with pace sticks - they were rare things.
When you consider some 22 years + Sncos left with not much other than a possible LSGC to their names and some Generals had nothing at all - very different to today!

Unlike the all comers approach today where everyone gets one back in 1977 they were very hard to get hold of!
Not sure what the scale was - but 6 per Battalion would not be far off the mark allocated to the CO -2ic- Adj -RSM Provost Sgt and a Jock!
My Dad a Brigadier at the time didn't get a sniff at one in MOD and I was part of the RMAS contingent for the ceremony in London and we didn't get one either, had we I am sure the C/Sgt's back at the big white factory would have either nicked them or stoven out heads in with pace sticks - they were rare things.
When you consider some 22 years + Sncos left with not much other than a possible LSGC to their names and some Generals had nothing at all - very different to today!
Aye my uncle left as a WO1 with the LSGC to his name.

A mixture of humour and pathos on this thread - though the entire QSJM fiasco was just another Labour Government insult to serving personnel at that time.
In 1977 the non issue of QSJM took second place to the fact Jocks couldn't even get so much as a pair of socks.... the Labour Government's 'Moratorium' was in full swing.
I believe my Bn received 5 or 6 QSJMs - the awards weren't even announced!
I don't want to be seen pissing on your criticism of Labour but at the time we are talking about it was defence cuts. The moratorium on contracts was done by the Tories when they took over.

I don't want to be seen pissing on your criticism of Labour but at the time we are talking about it was defence cuts. The moratorium on contracts was done by the Tories when they took over.
That's as maybe Rick... all I know is we couldn't get a damn thing at the time, clothing, ammunition... all cut back... I alienated myself from the QM and RQMS when I 'remonstrated' with them - out of frustration - over not being able to issue basic stuff like socks. The Moratorium certainly WAS in effect at that time.

XXV

Thank you so much for your kind words, Jane. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us We count ourselves lucky for customers like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future!
Well done Gloria... is that all you can come up with wee man?
Seriously though, thank you for your service.
Good banter.

That's as maybe Rick... all I know is we couldn't get a damn thing at the time, clothing, ammunition... all cut back... I alienated myself from the QM and RQMS when I 'remonstrated' with them - out of frustration - over not being able to issue basic stuff like socks. The Moratorium certainly WAS in effect at that time.

XXV
That explains it. In early 78 as a very keen Pl Cmdr I took A company up on the Pentlands and did blank fire CQBs, to enhance the experience I expended the Companies yearly allocation of pyrotechnics - It seemed a small allocation at the time but was I unpopular!

That explains it. In early 78 as a very keen Pl Cmdr I took A company up on the Pentlands and did blank fire CQBs, to enhance the experience I expended the Companies yearly allocation of pyrotechnics - It seemed a small allocation at the time but was I unpopular!

So YOU'RE the reason we all went hoarse shouting "Budda! Budda!"

.......On arrival the Adjutant opened his draw and handed me the Queen's Jubilee Medal in an envelope with the standard citation. I was embarrassed to tell him that I was already awarded one in my previous unit.....
So you should be wearing the Silver Jubilee medal with clasp then?

If I had realised the Jubilee medal was so special then perhaps I’d have taken the offer of my dads medals to sit in my drawer instead of telling my mother she should offer them to his grandsons