Queens Silver Jubilee Medal.

Hi gentlemen, got a question, as I was serving during the Queens Jubilee. Would I be allowed to wear said medal if I purchased one. I know the Gov (Labour) only paid for a small batch. Only two got issued to my Regt.
Its that a couple of bloke's at the local RBL, think I should get one as they say I'm entitled to.

Hi gentlemen, got a question, as I was serving during the Queens Jubilee. Would I be allowed to wear said medal if I purchased one. I know the Gov (Labour) only paid for a small batch. Only two got issued to my Regt.
Its that a couple of bloke's at the local RBL, think I should get one as they say I'm entitled to.
Pay no attention to Jim, he was in the Navy Reserve and knows very little about the military although he's got a blog y'know.

You are a civvie, you can wear what the **** you like.

Whatever your views on who should have been awarded it, you weren’t awarded it. So don’t wear a medal you don’t have a right to wear.

That’s the right thing to do in my view.

Whatever your views on who should have been awarded it, you weren’t awarded it. So don’t wear a medal you don’t have a right to wear.

That’s the right thing to do in my view.
I wasn’t awarded the hoodie I’m currently chilling out in. Does that mean I don’t have a right to wear it?

I wasn’t awarded the hoodie I’m currently chilling out in. Does that mean I don’t have a right to wear it?
I didn’t know that hoodies were a military award and they awarded them to selected squaddies. How unfair is that. I feel so cheated!

"A couple of blokes at the RBL"?
Not called Stacker 2 and Stacker 3 are they?
Of course, you could always change your name to Walt.

"A couple of blokes at the RBL"?
Not called Stacker 2 and Stacker 3 are they?
Of course, you could always change your name to Walt.
I know its a rarity on this site, but I'm a serving soldier, I tend not to hang around the RBL.

Do you really give a **** is some old bloke wears a silver jubilee medal?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My understanding is that any medal, issued under criteria which you fit, is yours, regardless if you were actually given it or not.

Having said that, I'm looking at a Hero of the Soviet Union medal as it looks natty, I think the colours compliment the Herrick one, and I'm a civvie now so I can do as stated, wtf I like. :D

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My understanding is that any medal, issued under criteria which you fit, is yours, regardless if you were actually given it or not.

Having said that, I'm looking at a Hero of the Soviet Union medal as it looks natty, I think the colours compliment the Herrick one, and I'm a civvie now so I can do as stated, wtf I like. :D
There was a phase where guys who were in in 1977 were buying the medal and wearing it. As there was a very limited number issued the names were printed in our Regtl Magazine at the time. When someone was spotted wearing and not on the list they were informed that they were not listed therefore should not be wearing it. That is as far as it goes as we are all civvies so can't order anyone to do anything, but ridicule works very well!

Honest question, why the hell would you want to wear something you weren't awarded? it means absolutely nothing anyway

If the OP was serving at the time he would almost certainly remember that this was debated by whingeing Toms in Soldier Magazine and even the mainstream press back then, just as there were some at the time of the other two Jubblies who had served 4 yrs 360 days or something, whingeing about how unfair it was.

It was proposed in Soldier back in 1977 that if it was an economy measure, anybody serving who wanted one should be able to buy it from the Army Medal Office, as it was then, which could possibly cover not only the cost of striking it. but of those issued under the existing criteria. The other two Services probably had exactly the same garbage in their house magazines. This was met with a stiff "Poke off, Chalkie!" by the MOD.

Of the eight issued to the unit I was in, the only one I would have chosen myself was my boss, an LE Major, who when it arrived, called the troop together and provided cheese, biscuits and a couple of cases of a rather nice Moselwein with which to 'wet' it. He was one of a very select band still serving who, to use his own words, "Marched for miles in the p!ssing rain" to earn another of his medals, 25 years before.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He was one of a very select band still serving who, to use his own words, "Marched for miles in the p!ssing rain" to earn another of his medals, 25 years before.
Nijmegen can be a bitch.

There was a phase where guys who were in in 1977 were buying the medal and wearing it. As there was a very limited number issued the names were printed in our Regtl Magazine at the time. When someone was spotted wearing and not on the list they were informed that they were not listed therefore should not be wearing it. That is as far as it goes as we are all civvies so can't order anyone to do anything, but ridicule works very well!
With respect, I’m not sure that the Regimental magazine has the authority of the London Gazette in terms of announcing conferment of honours and awards.