Queens Shilling

A quick one really.

Are recruits still paid a small amount of cash (Queens Shilling) when they enlist at the Careers Office as i did and lot's of other soldiers i know did?

Or am i just so old and out of touch with modern day reality lol?

A recruit just recently enlistsed and took the oath of allegience. I asked the said person if they got their money and to my astonishment they didn't have a clue what i was referring to. Call me Mr suspicious but i said i would check up on their behalf.

Any takers?

At present no cash incentive if offered to new entrants, although there is talk of a coin or token of some sort being offered for future entrants.
A momento rather than a beer token.

All i got was my train fare to redford barracks for initial selection, then a swift boot *********** and a bus / train ticket to Winchester ATR. That was 11 years ago.

They must get something these days as that is what the Army is about now either getting people in or to stay in.
:eek:

Signed up in '85, quite sure that I got a days pay (about £7.00) and fares.

This question was answered by a recruiter on another thread a couple of weeks ago. The symbolic day's pay a recruit once received on attestation is now long gone. Also long gone is the small soldier's bible that he received on attestation that he carried with him throughout his service (if inclined).

They were both victims of cost-cutting and penny-pinching by foresnsic accountants.

It was three quid when I joined up (70's). A days pay, we were told, like the shilling of old. Invested in the pub next door to the Recruiting Office. It's a shame to hear of another old tradition being murdered by the accountants.

Sorry i didn't pick up on that previous thread.

Thanks for your comments all the same.

Cheers!!

Iolis said:
This question was answered by a recruiter on another thread a couple of weeks ago. The symbolic day's pay a recruit once received on attestation is now long gone. Also long gone is the small soldier's bible that he received on attestation that he carried with him throughout his service (if inclined).

They were both victims of cost-cutting and penny-pinching by foresnsic accountants.
Guilty ma Honour

Ok I said most of that but as a loyal servant :roll: to the governent I never said penny-pinching honest gov. :D . Wait till I get my pension first before my memoirs and comments are released.

As said we dont give any days pay on attestation anymore, they get their Oath of Allegiance, cup of tea, coffee and biscuit when they get a nice Recruiter. They dont get a bible anymore and the only money is BFH (bus fare home) and a one way ticket for the ATR fo the day they travel down.

Iolis said:

The bible is still given out, but at the ATR not the recruitment office. Soldiers are offered a copy enscribed with their name in their first values and standards lecture. Few actually order one. I didn't and wish I had.

1989 - £12.50 and a one way rail warrant to Catterick. The recruiting office where I enlisted is long gone as well.

and 7/6 went in to your post office book sorry 35p
and i got 6d aday 2 1/2 p danger money for being over there and the next time it went up to ? I''m getting old
it all changed in feb 71 but you still use ;old money

I swore in thursday and got a bible but no money, this was very much to the shock of my military related family members and friends.

Apparently if i did get some money for going it would be taken off my first pay packet anyway so im not to peeved.

killergibbo said:
i done my oath last week and was told about all this.....and the sgt said that we wud get a days pay the moment we arrive at the ATR
You normally get paid on the first Thursday pay parade you join with a (AR)cash payment then every week for the first five or six weeks until bank payments are made monthly. This does not in any way account for the day of your attestation as you are on unpaid leave from the day of attestation till your first day at ATR. Your JI's you got at your attestation or docs check prior to attestation will tell you this and also say take approx £20-£30 to tied you over till your first intrum payment on the Wednesday/Thursday.

ugly

LE
11th August 1981, £5 no bible and a warrant to Folkestone from Bodmin Road stn!
I was told it was to buy me a meal on the train as it was long journey and I was on duty!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
robinrocket111 Medals 74
Taff49 The NAAFI Bar 66
Bugsy Military History and Militaria 11