Queens Royal Lancers?

new-paddy

Swinger
Hey i have been lurking here since deciding to join the army, currently awaiting my adsc date, decided to join to get some further information on my chosen regiment.

Decided to join a formation reconnaissance regiment, really enjoy the idea of doing mounted work (learning how to drive and maintain different vehicles) as well as learning infantry based skills doing dismounted work. The variety of soldiering available is my main reason for choosing to join an FR regiment, as well as infantry type specializations such as mortars, snipers etc being open to me further into my career.

I have The Queens Royal Lancers as my chosen regiment however the army website has not got a whole lot of information on them or my second choice the RDG. RDG recruit from Northern Ireland and me being Southern Irish i guess they would be my local regiment. As both regiments do the same job and are based in Catterick im most likely going to make a decision based on things like accommodation and hopefully through hearing serving members opinions on each regiment.

Would love to hear some opinions or advice from serving members, also how do people think the amalgamation with 9/12th will affect the QRL?

Thanks.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
The amalgamation will probably make for a lack of recruit slots as they shoehorn two into one.

But I spent seven years in what is now the Light Dragoons, armoured recce, essentially what you are selecting. It's a good job.

Finally, wrt choice of regiment, remember that years down the line, whichever regiment you served in, the answer to "which is the best regiment?" is the one you served in.

And if your answer were to be 9/12L, everybody would laugh. But since they are finally being amalgamated away, that won't happen to you. And besides, as a cavalry regiment, however you slice and dice it, bottom of a short list of best regiments is still pretty good.

new-paddy

Swinger
Thanks for your answer, ive often heard that you will find Irish lads throughout all regiments of the infantry? In the RAC do people generally stick to their local armoured regiment or is that a thing of the past?

Good question. Don`t know the answer for the modern day mob but historically a Regt would tend to attract guys from a certain area. For instance about 95% of the 15/19th Kings Royal Hussars were from the north east.

When I was first posted to them in in 73 I thought I`d been sent to Newcastle by mistake.

new-paddy

Swinger
Ive heard of plenty of Irish guys in the QRH but being on challenger 2 doesnt really appeal to me as much as FR. I dont mind being the only Paddy there as long as the regiment isn't all made up of guys from the exact same area with no outsiders, harder to fit in!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good question. Don`t know the answer for the modern day mob but historically a Regt would tend to attract guys from a certain area. For instance about 95% of the 15/19th Kings Royal Hussars were from the north east.

When I was first posted to them in in 73 I thought I`d been sent to Newcastle by mistake.
Did you know JC? He became RSM in Paderborn. First parade, " only thing wrong with this regiment is too many Geordie's."

That said, about that time I was told that it was nearer 50 than 90%.

Just a bunch of noisy twunts. Still not bad since RAC regionalisation only came in about 1958.

new-paddy

Swinger
Sorry to bump an old thread but i recall seeing a former QRL guy that posts in QRL related threads, any chance someone could point me in his direction or again if any former or serving Lancers could help me out with some information that would be great thanks.

Wouldn't bother with the Royal Lancers tbh, go RDG, speaking as a former QRL. From what I'm hearing on the grapevine the lads that got shifted over to RDG due to amalgamation say it's pretty good. And formation recce is a good job

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

westendboy lies like a cheap NAAFI watch. Though to be fair it's not entirely his fault. Unlike county infantry regiments, the concept of local cavalry only arose in our time. Well mine and I am sure he is older than me. Pretty sure Mallinson wrote 1958. Before I left 15/19H in the early 80s, the legendary RSM that was JC did on his first parade announce that the only thing wrong with the 15th/19th Hussars was that there were just too many fackin jawdees. And he wasn't differentiating between Geordies, Mackems and two headed toxic mutant avenger smog monsters: being a cockney he probably didn't know the difference. It wasn't until the 80s that the difference between the three took shape.

There were then still a number of senior ranks who hadn't come through cavalry recruiting areas. I am thinking JC and Tankie, my SSM but I reckon they were not the only ones.

I was in Command Troop and close to people who knew. The figure wasn't that high. It just seemed like it cos we were all arrogant, proud cavalry demigods.

;)

Edit. Bollix. Caught out by a necropost.