Queens Royal Hussars

#1
Evening chaps was wondering if there would happen to be any serving officers in the Q.R.H, who could maybe drop me a PM if possible in regards to a couple of questions on the regiment etc.


Many Thanks Scotty
 
#2
Hi Dundeeulster,

Are you joining said regiment??

I'm currently awaiting my dates for ADSC, when I pass this I will hopefully be joining the QRH....
 
#3
I am just about to do main board so I was just trying to get a feel of what life would be like in the Irish cavalry regiments as Ive really only experienced the infantry and artillery so far, but good luck and I hope everything goes well for you!


Scotty
 
#6
Yeah from what I hear they are quite a good bunch and the website is pretty slick.I just wanted to see what life was like however at the present, when i did my work experience with the army when I was 16 my section commander was QRIH and some of the things he said in regards to officers was maybe slightly off-putting so I'm really just on the trawl for opinions until I can sort a FAM visit.

Scotty
 
T

Tremaine

Guest
#7
dundeeulster said:
Yeah from what I hear they are quite a good bunch and the website is pretty slick.I just wanted to see what life was like however at the present, when i did my work experience with the army when I was 16 my section commander was QRIH and some of the things he said in regards to officers was maybe slightly off-putting so I'm really just on the trawl for opinions until I can sort a FAM visit.

Scotty
The Officers I remember from the seventies were a fairly decent bunch and some of them went on to "great things". The ranks were colourful and had some memorable people for all sorts of reasons. You'll find them on the web. QRIH Colours are in Windsor Castle now and I was sad to hear they'd been amalgamated into the QRH.

Wish I hadn't lost my citation from QRIH which most good boys received on leaving.
 
#8
I have worked with the QRH several times over the last few years.

I can say that without doubt they are one of the best (if not the best) Armoured Regiment about at the moment. Both their officers and NCOs tend to be charming, effective and generally of an extremely high calibre. They work together extremely well.

If you are up to the mark and they offer you a place, then you could certainly do a lot worse than to join.
 
#9
Thanks for the reply B-C considering you have worked with them quite a bit you could probably answer one of my questions. From what you saw just how much of the Regiment is made up of Northern Irish/Irish soldiers,NCOs and officers?

Also if there is anybody who is serving or has served with the Royal Dragoon Guards I would be quite interested to hear about the make up of that regiment as well.


Thanks Scotty
 
#10
As I recall about 30% of their soldiers were from Northern Ireland with most of the remainder from the midlands. Sounds like an odd combination, but works very well.

The officers, like with most RAC regiments, are from all over the place. No real pattern at all, other than inevitably attracting more than average numbers from northern (small n) Ireland, with many of the remainder (in common with many RAC officers) coming, originally, from London and the home counties.

The RDG I know much less well (not many people I know, not in the regiment itself, claim to know them particularly well). For what they might be worth, these are my thoughts: known (rather unkindly) as the "Rarely Deployed Guards" on account of fewer than average tours in the last decade or so years (I have no reason to think this is any more than coincidence). In truth what little (credible and informed) chat I have heard about them has actually been pretty good.

In truth although there are inevitable small differences in ethos between RAC regiments, the similarities far outweigh them (particularly so in terms of the Officers' Messes). I would argue that even the much talked about RTR/Cavalry divide is dramatically overstated. If you are considering joining one of the RAC regiments as an officer, I would suggest that if you feel you fit into one regiment (and that they feel that way too!), then you will probably equally fit in elsewhere in the RAC.
 
#11
brave-coward said:
As I recall about 30% of their soldiers were from Northern Ireland with most of the remainder from the midlands. Sounds like an odd combination, but works very well.

The officers, like with most RAC regiments, are from all over the place. No real pattern at all, other than inevitably attracting more than average numbers from northern (small n) Ireland, with many of the remainder (in common with many RAC officers) coming, originally, from London and the home counties.

The RDG I know much less well (not many people I know, not in the regiment itself, claim to know them particularly well). For what they might be worth, these are my thoughts: known (rather unkindly) as the "Rarely Deployed Guards" on account of fewer than average tours in the last decade or so years (I have no reason to think this is any more than coincidence). In truth what little (credible and informed) chat I have heard about them has actually been pretty good.

In truth although there are inevitable small differences in ethos between RAC regiments, the similarities far outweigh them (particularly so in terms of the Officers' Messes). I would argue that even the much talked about RTR/Cavalry divide is dramatically overstated. If you are considering joining one of the RAC regiments as an officer, I would suggest that if you feel you fit into one regiment (and that they feel that way too!), then you will probably equally fit in elsewhere in the RAC.


Your a gent thanks very much

Scotty
 

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
I have been in touch with a number of ex-officers of the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars over the last couple of years. Gents to a man...one or two hard characters too...and all unfailingly helpful.

Impressive regiment, who did well in the very savage fighting in Korea. In one January night, they lost 10 tanks and in one April morning, they lost another seven. Definitely in the thick of things.
 
#14
Jst interested in re-opening this thread again, as I too, was looking at the QRH. I have a bit of information on them, and every member of the regiment I've met has been spot on. I believe they currently have a shortage of officers from Northern Ireland at the moment though, but have been told that if I were to join as a Northern Irish man, I might get some abuse. Has this any truth in it?
 
#16
mcclurg said:
Jst interested in re-opening this thread again, as I too, was looking at the QRH. I have a bit of information on them, and every member of the regiment I've met has been spot on. I believe they currently have a shortage of officers from Northern Ireland at the moment though, but have been told that if I were to join as a Northern Irish man, I might get some abuse. Has this any truth in it?

Whoever told you this is full of it. I served in the QRH leaving in 05 and apart from the usual banter between the English, Scots and Northern Irish I never encountered any abuse. Anyway tighten up and give as good as you get it's the army you're joining not the girl guides.
 
#17
There was also a smattering of lads from the South in the Regiment, if anyone was going to get some pish taking out of them they were usually on the end of it.

Great bunch of lads, enjoyed my 4+ years in the LAD.

Nobby
 
#19
Rather than open a new thread; Can anyone give me the right address to write to the RDG about a PO visit? Can only find the regimental association address. Pretty soon I will have been in contact with most of the RAC.

Greatly appreciated as ever chaps!
 
#20
dundeeulster said:
Thanks for the reply B-C considering you have worked with them quite a bit you could probably answer one of my questions. From what you saw just how much of the Regiment is made up of Northern Irish/Irish soldiers,NCOs and officers?

Also if there is anybody who is serving or has served with the Royal Dragoon Guards I would be quite interested to hear about the make up of that regiment as well.


Thanks Scotty



http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=2040849.html#2040849

Follow the above link to another thread on the RAC forum "Irishman in a Tank" and you'll see the replies and RDG regimental info in response to a similar question from a chap from the Republic.

In the meantime...

FORMER TITLES


The four Regiments which now make up the Royal Dragoon Guards have been
known by a number of different titles, as listed below:
4th ROYAL IRISH DRAGOON GUARDS (From 1685 to 1922)

1685 Earl of Arran’s Horse or 6th Horse
1688 The Earl of Selkirk’s Horse and Godfrey’s Horse
1690 5th Horse
1693 Langton’s Horse
1713 Jocelyn’s Horse
1715 Davenport’s Horse (also The Prince of Wales’s Own Regiment of Horse)
1719 Wynne’s Horse
1732 Pearce’s Horse
1739 Trawley’s Horse
1743 John Brown’s Horse
1746 1st Horse (Irish Establishment) or Blue Horse
1788 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards
1921 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards

5th DRAGOON GUARDS (PRINCESS CHARLOTTE OF WALES’S) (From 1685 to 1922)
1685 Shrewsbury's Horse
1687 Langdales Horse
1687 Hamilton's Horse
1688 Coy’s Horse (1691 – 6th Horse)
1697 Arran’s Horse
1703 Cadogan’s Horse
1712 Kellum’s Horse
1717 Napier’s Horse
1740 Neville’s Horse
1744 Cobham’s Horse
1745 Wentworth’s Horse
1746 Second Irish Horse (Green Horse)
1751 Second Regiment of Irish Horse
1788 5th Dragoon Guards
1804 5th or (The Princess Charlotte of Wales’s) Dragoon Guards
1921 5th Dragoon Guards (Princess Charlotte of Wales’s)

7TH DRAGOON GUARDS (PRINCESS ROYAL’S) (From 1688 to 1922)
1688 The Earl of Devonshire's Horse or 10th Horse 1690 Schomberg’s Horse or 10th Horse
1692 Leinster’s Horse or 8th Horse
1693 Schomberg’s Horse or 8th Horse
1711 Harwich’s Horse or 8th Horse
1713 Sybourg’s Horse or 8th Horse
1720 Ligonier’s Horse or 8th Horse or Black Horse
1746 4th Horse (Irish Establishment)
1788 7th (Princess Royal’s) Dragoon Guards
1921 7th Dragoon Guards (Princess Royal’s)


THE INNISKILLINGS (6TH DRAGOONS) (From 1689 to 1922)
1689 Conyngham's Dragoons 1691 Echlin’s Dragoons
1715 Dalrymple’s or (Stair’s) Dragoons
1734 Cadogan’s Dragoons
1745 Leslie’s or (Rothe’s) Dragoons
1750 Cholmondley’s Dragoons
1751 6th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Dragoons
1758 6th or Inniskilling Regiment of Dragoons
1815 6th (Inniskilling) Regiment of Dragoons
1861 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons
1921 The Inniskilling (6th Dragoons)


THE 4th/7th ROYAL DRAGOON GUARDS

In 1922, the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards amalgamated with the 7th Dragoon Guards (Princess Royal's) to become the
4th/7th Dragoon Guards. In 1936 following the granting of the distinction
'Royal', the Regiment became the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards


THE 5th ROYAL INNISKILLING DRAGOON GUARDS

In 1922, the 5th Dragoon Guards (Princess Charlotte of Wales’s) and the Inniskilling (6th Dragoons) amalgamated to form the 5th/6th Dragoons. In 1927 the title changed to the 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards and in 1935, following the granting of the distinction 'Royal', the Regiment became the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

CW

Quis Separabit

Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads