Queen's Own Yeomanry

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by AngusChap, Aug 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just finished University and (rather luckily, considering the current climate) having fallen into a job, I thought a suitable use of my spare time might be to join the TA.

I have had a quick look around, I thought I might look into the Yeomanry, my nearest Squadron being C, the FFY / SH based in Cupar.

If I did go for the TA, I would probably want to try for Officer. However, having had a look on the internet I am unable to find any pictures of the C Sqn mess dress.

I know most Yeomanry mess kits tend to be quite gaudy, and whilst this isn't necessarily a problem, there is the associated cost. I don't want to look like a prat for not being able to afford the correct gubbins. Would each squadron have their own kit, or is it a QOY standard mess dress I would have to get?

Forgive my considerable ignorance, but are young officers expected to wear Mess Kit at formal do's? If they are (or even if they are not!), could anyone give me an idea of what I might be getting myself into, with regards to either cost or style?!

Many thanks in advance, any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. The QOY havent formalised across the regiment on a mess dress yet as far as im aware they are still using the mess dress from their forbearers eg Yorkshire Yeomanry Etc...

3. Not being funny fella but I would worry about doing your training and getting a commission before getting concerned about what mess dress you wear...

If you haven't even joined yet, it will be some time before you need to worry about shelling out on a mess dress. As an officer cadet I wouldn't think you'll require any, just a DJ and a haircut.

4. On the contrary, he demonstrates exactly the correct priorities required of a Cavalry Officer. In fact, I would strongly urge him to consider a regular commission.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have two friends who are currently serving as officers in yeomanry regiments (different ones) and both reckon that they couldn't dpeloy any of their blokes on ops in their actual role. They end up doing a specific technical job instead, but its also one which involves a lot of staring at TV screens all day. If you like the idea of doing Rommel impressions (completely understandable) then go ahead, but if you want to deploy in role then you should consider going for TA inf or RE instead.

6. As has been suggested already, pass your training first, in fact pass your selection board.
    IIRC C Sqn has rather a lot of young officers already.
    Visit them and find out.

7. But a proper Cavalry Officer would have his father's or (okay, the regimental amalgamations have a lot to be sorry about) his grand-father's Mess Kit ready to hand?

8. Best advice already given. Arrange a visit, preferably on a drill night.

9. Many thanks for the advice, I will certainly try and pop down on a drill night.

Apologies if I sounded like a dick with rather wayward priorities. I just didn't (should I ever pass through any of the selection and training processes) want to be ostracised simply for lack of funds. I doubted it would be so, but, knowing very little of the upper echelons of army rank, I thought I would enquire first to those that do.

Caecilius, thanks for your comment, I will maybe check out some infantry units too. I believe the Black Watch is also fairly near by.

10. For fucks sake what ever you do do not join the Watch, If the tankies cant take you, ask the RA or the RAMC. Just do not join the
    Watch. Nothing against them but they hang around with tubes and drink tea while ehm talk about tubes.

11. Where exactly are you AC?
    2 Signal Sqn in Dundee are always looking for fresh talent for our unique role.
    PM me for more info if required.
    Billy

12. Wah. Surely.

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I know lads from the Yeomanry who have deployed with the HCR and other recce units on Ops
    Maybe not doing the roaming 60k in front looking for the enemy bit but neither are the regular counterparts

14. Anyone who refers to "formal do's" probably also speaks of "black tie foonctions" & is unlikely to be accepted as a Yeomanry Officer. Try the RAF(VR), the Crabs issue Mess Dress ;)

15. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It seems that experiences may differ between the regiments. I do know of at least one YO who has done FTRS with HCav, and one who transferred in full time from the Yeomanry so my statement above is certainly not right in all cases.