Queens Jubilee medal entitlement?

LongJohnSilver said:
one-flew-over said:
Does anyone know the rules about foriegn medals. I know you can't wear most of them on SD etc but can they be added to the minitures for Mess Kit? Sorry to go off on a tangent on this thread and İ know ıt is a sad sad question!
Yep, very sad :crying: , the answer is simple...No...unless they have been authorised by the Queen, Mess Kit minitures are a mirror of your authorised medals only.
Wrong actually. Mess kit and miniatures are not official uniform or medals. You may wear foriign miniatures to your hearts content as long as approved by your Regimental or Corps dress committee. Some Regts allowed the Kuwait medal to be worn in miniature after the first Gulf War.
The full size one was never authorised for wear.

Keyboardwarrior said:
LongJohnSilver said:
one-flew-over said:
Does anyone know the rules about foriegn medals. I know you can't wear most of them on SD etc but can they be added to the minitures for Mess Kit? Sorry to go off on a tangent on this thread and İ know ıt is a sad sad question!
Yep, very sad :crying: , the answer is simple...No...unless they have been authorised by the Queen, Mess Kit minitures are a mirror of your authorised medals only.
Wrong actually. Mess kit and miniatures are not official uniform or medals. You may wear foriign miniatures to your hearts content as long as approved by your Regimental or Corps dress committee. Some Regts allowed the Kuwait medal to be worn in miniature after the first Gulf War.
The full size one was never authorised for wear.
Sorry, you are incorrect, look at 2006DIN 10-002 Para 18, to all Service Personnel with immediate effect:

Miniature Medals and emblems must correspond exactly to the Full Size medals that an individual is AUTHORISED (and the DIN states that the Queen authorises the wearing of all awards) to wear :wink:

I stand corrected, that is a relatively new DIn of which I was unaware.

Since Mess Kit is privately funded, as are the miniatures, I find it hard to see the justification in this new DIN. Not that I wear any miniatures that dont comply anyway, never having been given a foreign medal.

Keyboardwarrior said:
Since Mess Kit is privately funded, as are the miniatures, I find it hard to see the justification in this new DIN. Not that I wear any miniatures that dont comply anyway, never having been given a foreign medal.

You are right, however, there are so many Walts out there at the moment (see Dec 06 Soldier Mag on Bling Medals) that it is starting to de value the official medals that are awarded for valid reasons, medals awarded by other Nations, albeit earned, have to be ratified otherwise we run the danger of looking like Yanks (Kenny Everett springs to mind). Do you want our medals de valued by the adding of other Nations awards for the same Op Tour, by all means keep them for prosperety, but, realise the worth of the medals that we are given.

one-flew-over said:
Thought so but thanks LJS. I was only asking so I could pee off a couple of medal bores in the Mess. I'll peel ıt and eat the chocolate then!
Hey, Xmas is coming, take a small chocolate coin off the Tree, stick a cut out bit of your worst shirt on the top and get ready to Walt it in the Mess, see the envy on the other Mess Members faces. :wink:

Scally said:
The Golden Jubilee 2002 medal will be issued to the following personnel:

* All personnel who are in paid effective military service with the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Army and Royal Air Force on 6 February 2002, who have completed 5 calendar years service and were enlisted on or before 7 February 1997.
* All personnel who are in effective military service with the Volunteer Reserve Forces on 6 February 2002, completed five annual bounty earning training years and were enlisted on or before 7 February 1997. One of the bounty years must have been the year 2001-2002.
* A member of the Regular Reserves who is in military service on 6 February 2002 become eligible if their aggregated Regular and Voluntary service amounts to the 5 year qualification period.
* Any member of the Military Provost Guard Service whose MPGS paid service equates to the 5 year qualifying period.
* Contracted Royal Fleet Auxiliary personnel in service on 6 February 2002 who have completed the 5 years qualifying period.
* Cadet Officers and Cadet Adult Instructors with a total of 5 training years service, providing the service period includes 6 February 2002 and they are part of an established post. The person must have started on or before 7 February 1997 and the year 2001-2002 must be part of the service period.
* A member of the 'front line' emergency services, accessed via the telephone number 999, who have completed a minimum of 5 years reckonable service on 6 February 2002. The emergency services include the Police, Fire and Ambulance Services, the Coastguard, Royal National Lifeboat Institution and Mountain Rescue services.

The medal itself is cast in gilt-finished cupro-nickel.
It has also been belatedly issued (IE 2006) to members of HM Prison Service who had 5 or more years service back in 2002. This after a campaign by various MP`s and members of the House Of Lords. Herr Blair put a halt on the original award to Prison staff back in 2002.

IMHO they probably minted too many......see ebay! :salut:

LongJohnSilver said:
Keyboardwarrior said:

You are right, however, there are so many Walts out there at the moment (see Dec 06 Soldier Mag on Bling Medals) that it is starting to de value the official medals that are awarded for valid reasons, medals awarded by other Nations, albeit earned, have to be ratified otherwise we run the danger of looking like Yanks (Kenny Everett springs to mind). Do you want our medals de valued by the adding of other Nations awards for the same Op Tour, by all means keep them for prosperety, but, realise the worth of the medals that we are given.
Good point LJS, for Keyboardwarrior the Mess kit is 'self-funded' to a degree (-e.g., it is funded for officers), but it is an authorised uniform ergo there are regulations/rules/decrees relating to it. Suck it up.

I know this is late, but only just joined.
Reading the qualifying for he Golden choccy coin...what dis the qualifying period for the Silver choccy coin (trying to join in the banter).
Seems that if you (ME) was posted between regiments mine either 1. Got kept as a spare by the old unit, or 2. Got kept as a spare by the unit I was going to.

For the Silver chocolate medal (at least in Canadian service), you must be a member of the base hockey team, french speaking, first into clothing stores on the morning that it is issued. The more of those you can manage, the better. Other wise Station Warrant Officer or Commander were your best bets.

I know this is late, but only just joined.
Reading the qualifying for he Golden choccy coin...what dis the qualifying period for the Silver choccy coin (trying to join in the banter).
Seems that if you (ME) was posted between regiments mine either 1. Got kept as a spare by the old unit, or 2. Got kept as a spare by the unit I was going to.
I didn't get mine until July this year. It was sat in somebody's drawer and they hadn't realised. Yeah whatever.

Here's a pdf of the DIN. Print it off and wave it under noses until you get it. It may be chocolate but it's YOUR chocolate! :)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...H8xJaMKuidXJ4rg&bvm=bv.56643336,d.ZG4&cad=rja

I'd be surprised if 250,000 Romanian pikeys don't qualify for it, as they seem to qualify for everything else.

FFS, if you are that desperate just buy one off bloody ebay

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Outcast Army Pay, Claims & JPA 29
fooboy The Intelligence Cell 12
E ARRSE: Site Issues 10