Queens garden party?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bigwheels280, Jul 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All, new to this forum. Can anyone advise on protocol for the Garden part . Dress i have been informed is Service dress no medals, is the hat worn all afternoon etc whats the score on arrival of the Queen etc? cheers if anyone can help :D

2. She's very small, you might not notice her. :D

Can't answer the hat question, but the event is outside so I presume so.

Also if it looks like rain, take an umbrella - that will win you lots of brownie points. ;)

PB

3. Are you working or going as a guest. If you are a guest then dress is as per your invitation, those military I have known to attend were in No 2’s or service equivalent. Hats were worn at all times however there are always lots of ‘staff’ who will be able to advise you.

HRH will make several walk a round’s when she does so guests are normally lined up and introduced, on your first meeting the response is ‘Your Majesty’, from then on it’s ‘ma’am’.

This was how it was when I worked for the parties but that was a few years ago and things may have changed since then.

Hope this helps
    Worm

4. I went to one a couple of years ago, in uniform. Card said no medals but the seniors in the woodentops wore theirs. I went in blues, but most go in no2 dress, no medals, carrying their best peaked cap.

when you get there, dont queue, find the local plod and they will probably let you go in up front, after all, most of them are ex forces.
    No photos.
    Snacks are OK.

Enjoy, you normally only get one party invite in your life.

5. Hi Worm, thanks for your reply. i am a guest with the other half for my work for the ABF. Service dress , brown shoes etc . i take it i wear my hat all day + when HRH arrives at steps surely all Service personnel must salute our Captain general? looking forward to it but a small minor questions of protocol. :D

6. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

Funny that you should ask, when I went medals were worn. I was in Observer Corp uniform and Phil the Greek passed comment on my medal ("You must have been a bloody brown hat!") awarded from my days in the army serving in N.I. Mind you, that was thirty years ago.

7. By the way, it's pronounced 'mam' and not 'marm'. The story is that Mrs W dislikes marm intensely.

Have a good time, I can remember being petrified at my first Regimental Garden Party yonks ago.

8. Try not to do the dance of the flameing assholes, but if you can't resist go for it, I'm sure you'll get lots of applause.
    And don't go kicking fck out of the corgi's, not with anyone watching anyway.

B_T. :lol:

9. Irrespective of what the invitation states. If you can get a set of No1 Dress (Blues) do so, and wear them, no one will pick you up for it. HM loves to see her soldiers provide a little colour to the occasion, anyone can wear a drab lounge suit so if you can wear shiny and colourfull Regimental accoutriments then do so. Wear your medals, I did, it also adds colour, and you earned them. The Household bods (Cav & Guards) wear theirs.
    As was said previously if you meet Her Majesty, I will be surprised if you can get near her as the civvies trample you under foot to get close to her, you initially address her as "Your Majesty" there after as "Mam" not Ma'am. If you speak to one of the Princes or Princesses it is "Your Highness" there after as "Sir" or "Mam".
    Enjoy the day, as in theory, it is a once in a lifetime event, and believe it or not there are masses who would give their right arm to be in your place.

Enjoy it and be proud, not because you are there but because of who you are, the uniform you wear and what you have done to earn those medals.

10. A Queens garden party ?
    Military themed?
    This the sort of look you're after?

Attached Files:

11. Nope, no need. I went last year, thousands of civvies so no danger of actually talking to Her Maj unless you have done something to warrant being introduced. The weather was so hot, most people carried their headdress. The Beefeaters (Yeomen, whatever) were hilarious, plenty of banter with the crowd. The best place to see her Maj is at the foot of the steps in the garden as she arrives or over by the VIP tent where she has her tea and meets the grown-ups. Enjoy the day as it is probably the last time you will get to do it.

12. 'HRH' is never used to refer to HM, except by accident!

It is definitely Ma'am as in SPAM and not Marm as in SMARM.

Have fun and relax and enjoy the afternoon.

13. was at one several years ago in number twos. we were told we had to salute the car she was in as it drove past. my mucker beside me forgot and got a swift poke with a pace stick from the senior stood behind us. dont know if that still happens as it was years ago. enjoy the day anyway