Queens Crown/Kings Crown badges question

Maybe their choice of queen's crown has nothing to do with the monarch?
A new monarch gets to choose 'their' crown, they do not have to change it but if they did unless you are, and intend to remain, "Queen Elizabeth's Own" I'd suggest it was a bit bad form not to keep up with your monarch. Likewise I see no reason for RMAS to perpetuate the EIIR logo; it's not as if she founded the place.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
It's regnal name not reginal name. Part of the issue here. Regnal name = of the reign. Reginal name = of the queen.

15/19H always had a Queen's crown (think "lots of room inside for the hair up") in Staybrite during my time. New RSM pushed for and got us issued (at our own expense obviously) a brass King's crown (better shaped to a bloke's hair) badge because we were 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars.

You might wear a Staybrite badge on exercise, but in camp, you'd be popular with your mates for raising your head above the parapet.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've been away a few days. Coincidentally, as I catch up with Facebook, on the Regimental site, I find the following on an auction site:

If you look at the cap badges, they're all Queen's crown with lumps under the lion's paws, whereas the King's cyber cloth badge worn by corporals and above above tapes on Number 2s, has a prominently downward curving King's crown under the lion's paws.

Edit. Wrong. Top left, badge has King's crown

Last edited:
Right in the middle of my time away. Left in 73 and back in 76 for 1st class. Leo (Piggy) Kemp was CSM A Wing throughout that time. It wasn't him was it?
If I remember correct Piggy Kemp was RSM Depot in 1974.
Ben Brain was RSM of SEE, I cannot remember the CSM's name.
To be honest apart from Steady Eddie at 7 Armd Wksp in '85-86 I never had a problem with any CSM's, BSM's, RSM's throughout my time.
Most had a sense of humour if you stayed within certain fairly flexible lines.

The Household Cavalry still use the king’s crown for officers rank. The origin of this probably dates back to 1953 when a Commanding Officer warming his bum in front of the fire whilest quaffing his second pre lunch gin and tonic might have said:“How frightfully tedious having to change our rank badges. Let’s just stick with what we’ve got and wait for the next king. It can’t be too far away”.

If I remember correct Piggy Kemp was RSM Depot in 1974.
Ben Brain was RSM of SEE, I cannot remember the CSM's name.
To be honest apart from Steady Eddie at 7 Armd Wksp in '85-86 I never had a problem with any CSM's, BSM's, RSM's throughout my time.
Most had a sense of humour if you stayed within certain fairly flexible lines.
Yes, you're right. I bumped into Ben Braine again in 76 - he was my platoon Sgt in 72 at Poperinghe. Good bloke.

ugly

LE
Not every crown on a cap badge has been a UK monarchs crown. RGJ and DCLI ring a bell

RAF cap badges. King’s crown on the left. Queen’s on the right.

Yes, Show Parade tonight 22:00, beret badges highly polished and beret without fluff.

RP
World exclusive, here's the new RAF cap badge with CIII crown. Don't tell anyone I showed the picture

1549459649378.png

needlewaver

Old-Salt
Not every crown on a cap badge has been a UK monarchs crown. RGJ and DCLI ring a bell
Didnt the Green Howards have the Danish crown? In fact I've just checked and their Colonel in Chief was Harald V of Norway, so im going with a Norge crown.

Given the change in political atmosphere between the last coronation and when the next one is likely to be (ie at least 66 years), I can't see it being acceptable to have an image of a crown that is called "Imperial".

That and the costs of changing everything. If the image of St Edward's crown were perpetuated, then for example the RAPTC would not need to change:

But RMAS would need to decide to either keep the EIIR cypher as an act of homage to Aunty Betty or get with the times and change to whatever the new King takes as his cypher.

The Royal Family also own this one. note Her Majesty can move in any direction and as many spaces as she wants.

1549460314508.png

Maybe, I thought one of them used was a Danish crown?
DCLI and KRRC definately have older styles, the DCLI one doesn't have bumpy bits, so maybe the danish crown

Here you go, Army Dress Regulations, Part 9:

“a. The rank of officers, warrant officers and non commissioned officers are described as
follows:

Field Marshal: Crossed batons on a laurel wreath, with crown above.

General: Crossed sword and baton, with crown over star above.

Lieutenant General: Crossed sword and baton, with crown above.

Major General: Crossed sword and baton, with star above.

Note. When the crossed sword and baton are worn on the shoulder, the sword point is to point forwards on each shoulder. When worn as a single badge of rank in No 8 Dress, it is standard practise for the sword point to point towards the right shoulder of the wearer.

Brigadier: Crown above three stars, the two lower stars side by side.

Colonel: Crown above two stars.

Lieutenant Colonel: Crown above one star.

Major: Crown.

Note: The standard crown is the St Edward’s Crown though Field Officers of the Household Cavalry wear the Imperial Crown.

Captain: Three stars.

Lieutenant: Two stars.

Second Lieutenant: One star.

Note: The standard star is based on the Bath Star but certain regiments wear the Eversley
Star and the Household Division wear versions of the Garter, Thistle and St Patrick’s Star.

Latest Threads